Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just bought a *ist DS

BOY! does it eat batteries.
I put in some rechargeables, fresh out of the charger, and after updating the firmware, there was only enough juice in them to format the card and take a photo with the flash. There wasn't enough power left to review the image.

I bought it from a thrift shop. It looked like it hadn't been used.
(no doubt a testament to how quickly it drains batteries! )

08-07-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
BOY! does it eat batteries.
I put in some rechargeables, fresh out of the charger, and after updating the firmware, there was only enough juice in them to format the card and take a photo with the flash. There wasn't enough power left to review the image.
I had the *.istD, same speech.. I had to buy a lot of AA rechargeable batteries because the life compared to the current ones is really laughable.

Bye Mario
08-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
I turn it back on, and there was about 1/4 left.
08-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a Minolta p&s that was the same.

08-08-2020, 12:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My *ist DS is totally reliable with eneloop batteries fitted, as is my *ist DL2.
I'd not had unreliability problems with other brands, Duracell, Hama, Energiser or Panasonic, but they all have a relatively short (few weeks) charge retention, whereas the eneloops will stay useable for months, even in the camera
I don't remember ever having to change batteries "in the field" with either camera, when I've started out with a fully charged set, (unlike my K-70 or KP), but I'll admit to carrying a spare set anyway ... just in case

Is it possible that your charger isn't bringing your cells up to full charge, but cutting off early? Difficult to check, I know, but maybe you could try a different charger?
It might also be possible that only one cell in the set is failing. Do you have a voltmeter to hand to check if all four batteries are at the same voltage when the camera indicates a "depleted battery"?

Last edited by kypfer; 08-08-2020 at 01:06 AM. Reason: afterthought
08-08-2020, 12:53 AM   #6

A *ist DS was my first DSLR. I found that it worked better with high quality, “low static discharge” NiMH AA batteries. I used Sony Cycle Energy, IIRC. Even with those, I always carried AT LEAST one spare set. Eneloop is another brand that works well, by the reports on this forum. Other rechargeable AAs did not last very long at all. The camera seemed to work best with the recommended lithium batteries, although those were pricey, and single use. Alkaline AAs worked, but very short life. I had a K-x too, and it took a couple of firmware updates before it really worked well with rechargeable AAs. IIRC there was a late firmware update for the *ist DS to add SD-HC card support. If your camera does not have the latest firmware, update it, but be sure it doesn’t run down the batteries during the update. If that happens, it can render the camera unusable. Maybe get a fresh set of the recommended lithium batteries (CRV3 IIRC), or a set of Lithium AAs, if your rechargeables are not lasting very long.
08-08-2020, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It's probably a bit of oxidation on the metal connectors in the battery compartment. Give them a good clean with contact cleaner.

08-08-2020, 05:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Cthulhugan - apart from a brief unsuccessful flirtation with rechargeables in my *ist DS, I stuck with CR-V3 lithiums, which lasted months.
08-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use CR-V3 lithiums in my *ist DS and they seem to last forever. Never had much luck with AAs of any type.
08-08-2020, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I, too, recently acquired a *istD and initially had a battery experience like the OP.

After reading around the Forum, I went with Eneloops and things have been fine since - several hundred exposures so far with the initial charge and still going strong.

GET SOME ENELOOPS! (I got whole kit, including the like-branded charger, from Amazon.)
08-08-2020, 07:05 AM   #11

For my istDL, I had a battery case that would hold 8 AA lithium ion batteries. I’d put the + end in one direction for new batteries and reverse them for used batteries. I didn’t have much luck with rechargeable batteries. Paid lots of attention to battery sale prices!
08-08-2020, 08:53 AM   #12

Yes, invest in a couple sets of rechargeable batteries and a good "smart" charger. What you save on buying single use cells will pay back the expense of the rechargeables and charger. You can always buy cells for other devices too.

My old wireless mouse used to eat a pair of AAs every couple of months. And I've replaced all the cells in various remotes - the big plus is no more leaking cells.
08-16-2020, 12:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
After doing a bit of looking locally, today I found a power supply for it. I was pretty surprised by that, 6.5 volts seems like an odd spec for power. The power supply that was for a Panasonic device.
08-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that Eneloops are the way to go.
My first DSLR was *ist DS and never had a problem with batteries once I got onto Eneloops.
08-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My K200D that I got a couple of months ago also runs on AA batteries only. I use eneloops. I charged it for a trip about a month ago and the charge seems to just last forever, it's still showing "fully charged" on the display but I know once it starts going down it'll go down fast. I've taken several hundred pictures already on this charge... I used these same batteries previously on my K-50 with a third party adapter (which broke the battery latch but that's a different story) - and there the batteries also lasted a long long time.

Just get eneloops.