Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2020, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbyscon Quote
I'm consistently bouncing between the KP, the K-70, and the K-3 (and/or 3ii). Seems like a consistent set for most to be choosing from.
No bad choices here. I have KP and K-S2 and had the K-3 until recently. Each has its pros and cons, but they are all very good cameras.
I had been stuck between the KP and the K-70 for a while, but after reading more about the K-3ii, it certainly seems worth considering because of FPS burst and buffering, the 2nd card option, and much better battery life (which can easily be solved with backup battery or battery grip on the KP and K-70, of course). GPS built-in might be nice, and I rarely use the built-in flash as I have a hot-shoe flash that I carry around. Not using a flash at all is 98% of my shooting, though. WiFi built-in means close to nothing to me except for the smartphone trigger option, but that's a "neat maybe use a couple of times" kinda thing. A quieter shutter would be good for events and wildlife, and good low-light shooting will be a necessity.
You have mentioned the pros for the K-3 series. I would add: very robust construction, long life expectancy. The burst rate and quiet shutter are very useful for shooting wildlife (or other moving subjects). That is a lot of my preferred shooting. I love the feel and heft of the K-3.

But for all that I sold my K-3 recently (to another wildlife photographer). Two reasons. First, the KP is so far superior in low light and high ISO that I was using it most of the time anyway. Second, the lack of a tilt/articulating screen is a real limitation for macro and an inconvenience for tripod-mounted landscapes and the like. The shutter is nearly as quiet on the KP and the construction is very robust (much more so than entry models like the K-30 or K-S2). Pixel shift is a good feature for landscapes - I believe the iteration in the KP is an upgrade from the K-3ii. The smaller battery isn't a big issue - just carry a spare. Personally I don't miss the top LCD or the dual card slots. The KP has better video. Shake reduction is outstanding - ahead of the K-3 or K-S2 (each of which is good). Dust removal system is good. The third wheel is very handy. Overall, the KP is another generation of camera. I agree with @FozzFoster that that K-3 series is "kinda yesteryear".

You really need to think about your lens collection to get the most from whichever new body you get. You have a nice 35 and good 50s/55 but the rest is, um, uninspiring. That's a subject for another thread, but I'd suggest a wide-normal zoom like the DA 16-85 or 18-135 to start with. The 16-85 is probably slightly better, but if the budget is tight the 18-135 can be very cheap bundled with a new camera and it's very capable (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-...at-can-do.html). If you can afford it and don't mind the lens changes go the Limited route: I have the the DA 15 Ltd and DA 20-40 Limited and both are excellent and a joy to use. For telephoto, get the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM. It will cover a lot of your telephoto needs until you want to shell out for a more expensive option (like the DA*300 + teleconverter, or the DFA 150-450); even if you do, the PLM will still have a place.

Last edited by Des; 08-08-2020 at 07:29 PM.
08-08-2020, 01:48 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would get the KP. It is the most modern option. The premium over the K70 seems worth it. There are some reliability issues with the K70. Just what the odds are for being struck down by the aperture bug is hard to tell, but I would not take the chance.

As for the KP external GPS thing, that is the way it is. I don't see it as a deal breaker. The K3 II may have built in GPS but it's a bit long in the tooth now. The K3 and K3 II sensor is from the previous generation when compared to the KP.
08-08-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Lenses already owned
  • SMC DA 35mm 2.4
  • SMC DAL 50-200 4-5.6 (K-r kit lens option, my 18-55 took a tumble and is out)
  • SMC FA 50mm 1.4
  • Takumar 55mm 1.8
  • Takumar 50mm 1.4
  • Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
  • Russian something-or-other 5.26I-69 500mm mirror lens
Earlier I recommended the KP, and I still stand behind the recommendation.
Pentax KP vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison

But I thought I'd offer an alternate choice looking at your lenses. What about buying an older K-5 and an FA 77 (or DA 70)? That way you'd have a 35, 50, and 77/70.
08-08-2020, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I "upgraded" from a K-70 to a KP for the superior a/f performance and I wasn't disappointed
The extra three stops of low light sensitivity, plus a couple of other features, like the 1/24000 top speed when using the electronic shutter, can be useful, but do have their limitations.
However, overall image quality between both cameras under "normal" circumstances is indistinguishable, in my mind, so unless you really "need" the extra features, the K-70 makes very good sense.
One point I will make, the ergonomics of the KP, especially in relation to the shutter-button placement, can make it "feel" a little different in the hand. In this respect the K-70 is much more like the earlier cameras and consequently might be considered a little more "natural".
The K-70 "seems" to be a little more power-conservative ... the battery lasts a little longer than in the KP, in my experience. There is no battery grip available for the K-70. Not a factor that ever bothered me, but may be a consideration. With both cameras, a spare battery in my pocket has always been all the backup I've needed.

Just my tuppence worth ... hope it helps

08-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . Subjects
  • Kids mostly - candid and portrait
  • Sports - Kids/school/indoor/outdoor - currently horseback, but who knows what they'll get into over the next 6-10 years.
  • Wildlife - like the elusive surly house cat. Also alligators and birds of prey.
  • Still life
  • Very occasional dabble into astro-photography
. .
  • SMC DA 35mm 2.4
  • SMC DAL 50-200 4-5.6 (K-r kit lens option, my 18-55 took a tumble and is out)
  • SMC FA 50mm 1.4
  • Takumar 55mm 1.8
  • Takumar 50mm 1.4
  • Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
  • Russian something-or-other 5.26I-69 500mm mirror lens
. . .
I appreciate any feedback,.
you did say " any feedback "

remember that the ability to use low light might depend on the " speed " of your lens choice

yours run from F1.4 to F2.8 for your primes

how would a constant aperture zoom lens work such as a used Pentax D FA 2.8 70-200mm f2.8 or Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Macro ?

or would it be too short of a telephoto or too much weight ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-08-2020 at 04:11 PM.
08-08-2020, 05:04 PM - 5 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

@FozzFoster - It sounds like you'd definitely recommend the KP or K-3ii over the K-70, correct? I agree with the lens assessment, but I think I would rather invest a bit more in the body and get one that meets more needs and will potentially be useful longer. To rephrase, are the features/benefits of the KP or K-3ii worth $200-ish over the K-70?
Definitely. I've have the KP for more than a couple of years now. In addition, I have the very small but nice K-S2 bought new after the K-70 came, which is built and designed very like the K-70, although the K-70 is slightly larger. I then gave away my still nice K-r to friends. I also continue with my former flagship K-5 IIs, built much like the subsequent K-3. My KP is now my most used body, by far.

Your statements show you are very much interested in durability and reliability as well as improved performance. There is no comparison in these factors between a K-70 or K-S2 compared against a KP or a K-3. The price of a new KP is now at bargain level for what it is. I just checked B&H (if you are in the US) where I bought mine, and at $747- an outstanding price for a camera in this class. I've seen similar from them before, but then the price went back up some. They guarantee the price will not go lower for some period, as I recall, or they will refund the difference. You can even get a package with useful items thrown in for free. I got mine in silver, and it is a beauty! Looks great with black or with silver lenses. Metal construction (magnesium alloy, strong and lightweight) and controls designed far above the K-70 style. The "silver" version of the K-70 is too dark and does not match the silver lenses. Don't get me wrong, the K-70 (or the previous K-S2) both are outstanding for an entry-level DSLR. But the KP is in another class, and YES worth a couple hundred more $$. Coming from your K-r, it will mean improvements measured in miles not inches. Controls, construction, durability, reliability, image quality, features, and useful versatility. The KP can outperform the K-3 in low light-higher ISO situations, for all-around great imaging. And you'd have a new vs. used camera.

As to lenses, for now, your DA 35mm f/2.4, can provide very sharp results and has a versatile angle of view for all-around use. Your Pentax AF 50mm 1.4 is a very capable lens (great for portraits), as is your fine Sigma 50mm macro. Your DA 50-200mm can be quite good, especially at certain apertures and zoom settings. Take your time going forward as to which will be your next new lens choice to expand your focal length range. There are numerous options depending on your particular needs, that will definitely be better than your former 18-55mm kit lens.

Some of the deals bundling lenses with the KP might not be deals at all, comparing the prices of the individual items.

If you like the convenience of excellent JPEG results right out of the camera, just be sure to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most often-used "Bright" category, accessed via the "info" button. The KP's in-camera image processor is exceptional. Stay away from having the mode dial on the green "Auto" setting, as that disables many controls and adjustments. Use the "P" mode instead if you want fully automatic exposure operation.

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-08-2020 at 05:10 PM.
08-08-2020, 06:18 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me it's a simple choice, go with the newest technology that you can afford, which will be the KP. They are all good choices, but the KP will give you the best low light, autofocus, image quality, that is enough for me right there. I do wish the KP had a GPS, but I don't do astro shooting anyway, I would just like the coordinates in the EXIF. There are some tradeoffs in all of them, but to me in the end I want the best chance at great images, I still have to take them, but I want the best odds.

08-08-2020, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

As above ^^ , and, if needed, an attachable GPS module is available and not very expensive. The K-3 II has built-in GPS, but uses the space usually taken for a built-in flash so it was none.
08-09-2020, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #24

If you're adamant on getting just a body, get a KP.
However, looking at your lens selection coupled with your criteria (sports, wildlife), I'd recommend getting a K-70 and a 55-300 PLM instead of your 50-200 for change. It may be stretching your budget a little, but I think that would be the best image quality you'd get with your criteria and your budget. It is in fact a combo I use, you can see what it's capable of over at my flickr.
08-09-2020, 01:58 AM - 2 Likes   #25

It looks like you are someone who is looking for a camera that you can use for the long term. In this case pay the extra and get the KP or K3ii (not the K3). Avoid the K70 because of potential apeture blcok issues as it gets older.
08-09-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I recommend the K3, however this post is more about the lens, you will use it for children and skittish cats, I highly recommend the 55-300 PLM, it has the fastest focusing of all Pentax lenses, for that reason alone makes it worth every penny, then get something like a DA 16-85, I personally never used one, but I hear nothing but good things about that lens
08-09-2020, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Get the KP as the size actually feels like the K-r as they are both more compact than the other options. The low light capabilities make this a no brainer again compared to the other choices. I had a K-50 and K-r and now have 2 K-1s a Kp and K-5IIs. They are all great but as I will be downsizing a bit soon and the KP and one of the K-1 models are staying put in my collection. The 55-300 PLM and 18-135 are very good suggestions as your collection grows in the future.
08-09-2020, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Earlier I recommended the KP, and I still stand behind the recommendation.
Pentax KP vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison

But I thought I'd offer an alternate choice looking at your lenses. What about buying an older K-5 and an FA 77 (or DA 70)? That way you'd have a 35, 50, and 77/70.
I move from K-5 to KP, night and day. KP is way better and Also accept KAF4
08-09-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

[quote=SSGGeezer;5054531]
QuoteQuote:
. . . The 55-300 PLM and 18-135 are very good suggestions as your collection grows in the future.
QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE
Introduction
If you're a Pentax shooter who's not quite ready to step up to a professional lens like the DA* 60-250mm f/4 or D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8, there are only two homegrown options to scratch the telephoto itch: the DA 50-200mm or the DA 55-300mm. For years, the DA 55-300mm f/4–5.8 was the better of the two choices. This consumer zoom provided ample telephoto reach, weather sealing, and good-enough image quality, all in a portable package.

But it's 2016, and though the DA 55-300 f/4-5.8's image quality is still fine, its autofocus system is definitely showing its age—particularly for the sorts of subjects you're likely to shoot with a telephoto zoom.

Enter the HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4.5–6.3 ED PLM WR RE, featuring a retractable design and a new Pulse Motor (PLM) system powering the autofocus.

Smaller, lighter, and 100% more silent than its predecessor, the new DA 55-300mm looks to be an upgrade in every way but one—its narrower aperture range. Still, we had to put it to the test to find out whether it can best a time-tested favorite. Come along as we find out! . . .
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

for what it is, the PLM is very good

but not the best- " professional " vs. " consumer "

[ remember that I claim no particular expertise, i am just learning and I post a lot ]

it saved my last trip to Tanzania after my D FA 150-450mm fell apart, but the differences between the lenses ( not considering focal length ) was apparent to me

of course there is the cost, size and weight differences too
08-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for all this input! As a new KP owner, my current long zoom is a bit short, at 250. This made my next choice easy, as a 400 F2.8 is not in my life.