Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Time to upgrade body - always torn between the options. Help!

It's time to upgrade from my K-r purchased in 2011. It took me weeks way back then to make a decision on the body, and ultimately I was (and still am) happy with the decision. But here I am again, spending way too much time researching and re-reading the same threads/reviews/comparisons about my options. The K-r still works and has served me well for 9 years, but I'm ready for a better camera. Plan is for the new one to cover me for another 7-10 years with the K-r being a backup shooter and something for the kids to learn DSLR shooting with.

Budget: < $800 preferably (relatively lightly used is fine)

I'm consistently bouncing between the KP, the K-70, and the K-3 (and/or 3ii). Seems like a consistent set for most to be choosing from. All are major upgrades to the K-r, but all are not equal. I'd love to just suck it up and jump to a K-01ii, but that's just not reasonable for my budget and non-professional use. Plus I'd have to trigger my LBA again.

Subjects
  • Kids mostly - candid and portrait
  • Sports - Kids/school/indoor/outdoor - currently horseback, but who knows what they'll get into over the next 6-10 years.
  • Wildlife - like the elusive surly house cat. Also alligators and birds of prey.
  • Still life
  • Very occasional dabble into astro-photography

I had been stuck between the KP and the K-70 for a while, but after reading more about the K-3ii, it certainly seems worth considering because of FPS burst and buffering, the 2nd card option, and much better battery life (which can easily be solved with backup battery or battery grip on the KP and K-70, of course). GPS built-in might be nice, and I rarely use the built-in flash as I have a hot-shoe flash that I carry around. Not using a flash at all is 98% of my shooting, though. WiFi built-in means close to nothing to me except for the smartphone trigger option, but that's a "neat maybe use a couple of times" kinda thing. A quieter shutter would be good for events and wildlife, and good low-light shooting will be a necessity.

Lenses already owned
  • SMC DA 35mm 2.4
  • SMC DAL 50-200 4-5.6 (K-r kit lens option, my 18-55 took a tumble and is out)
  • SMC FA 50mm 1.4
  • Takumar 55mm 1.8
  • Takumar 50mm 1.4
  • Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
  • Russian something-or-other 5.26I-69 500mm mirror lens

As far as buying new, there's a $200 difference between the KP and the K-70, currently. Used KPs seem to be well priced. Used K-3 and K-3ii options are right at the top of the budget. The K-3ii having a built-in GPS saves buying the add-on (and having to carry an extra thing around). The new K-70 kit with the 18-135 lens is intriguing and prices close to a new KP. I could probably use a new zoom lens with that kind of range, but to-date do the majority of my shooting with either the DA 35mm or FA 50mm.

It seems like the KP might be the best all-around for my criteria, but some of the strengths of the K-3 and K-3ii might make it the more "future-proof" option, and the K-70 comes in as a strong contender with a lower price allowing for an additional lens purchase (if needed...which it will be if there's budget left!)

Are the differences between the K-70 and the higher-priced options worth the difference in price? Is the add-on GPS unit better/worse/equal to the add-on GPS unit? Is a second memory card anything to worry about for a hobbyist?

I appreciate any feedback, especially for points about the differences between the cameras I may not have considered.

08-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the cameras I got subsequent to my K-r: - K5 (sold) , K3-ii (faulty AF - use with MF) , K30 (aperture block fail cheap purchase, fixed, just sold), KS2 (curent main AF camera) - were/are a good big upgrade - better everything basically, especially IQ and live view capabilities. The more I use my KS2 the more I like it, little difference really in IQ with K3, IMO. USP: fully articulated lcd. I can suggest that you don't need to be too particular between K70/K50/KS2/K3..I think you'll be very happy with any of them. Look for the right price and condition.
08-08-2020, 09:09 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was going to recommend the KP or the K-3ii for your burst shooting and AF performance needed with sports, wildlife, and kids running.
But then I saw your lens selection.. You pretty much have a 35, many 50s, a consumer mid-zoom, and a fun mirror lens.
You would benefit greatly from the walk-around wide-to-midtele 18-135mm and if you were getting successful shots with the K-r then the K-70 will blow your mind...

My vote is K-70 with the 18-135 kit.
08-08-2020, 09:26 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest the KP. I have two of them, a silver and a black. The biggest difference between the K-3 and KP for me is the lack of a top LCD screen on the KP. Batteries are cheap, so the battery power never bothers me.

The KP is a stunningly beautiful camera. The build quality is way better than the K-70.

08-08-2020, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from the k3ii to the k1ii, and the third control dial and tilting screen were among the main reasons. These features are also available on the kp, though not identically implemented, and I think for me they'd be worth it.

However, I don't use GPS much on my camera, for location or for astro.
I'm usually, but not always, only using one card slot because it's simpler to clean up after downloading images. I wouldn't mind not having this option, for example I trust my GR III no less.
08-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I was going to recommend the KP or the K-3ii for your burst shooting and AF performance needed with sports, wildlife, and kids running.
But then I saw your lens selection.. You pretty much have a 35, many 50s, a consumer mid-zoom, and a fun mirror lens.
You would benefit greatly from the walk-around wide-to-midtele 18-135mm and if you were getting successful shots with the K-r then the K-70 will blow your mind...

My vote is K-70 with the 18-135 kit.
@FozzFoster - It sounds like you'd definitely recommend the KP or K-3ii over the K-70, correct? I agree with the lens assessment, but I think I would rather invest a bit more in the body and get one that meets more needs and will potentially be useful longer. To rephrase, are the features/benefits of the KP or K-3ii worth $200-ish over the K-70?
08-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I would recommend the K 3 or K 3 II or look at the K 5 family if cost is an problem ( K 5, K 5II or K 5II s )

have you discovered the very helpful comparison tool here at the forums?

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

admittedly I claim no particular expertise, I just tend to post a lot

if there is no hurry and money is no problem, you might want to hold off until the K New arrives

it has been rumored to be here " in the near future " for at least a year now

08-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I would recommend the K 3 or K 3 II or look at the K 5 family if cost is an problem ( K 5, K 5II or K 5II s )

have you discovered the very helpful comparison tool here at the forums?

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

admittedly I claim no particular expertise, I just tend to post a lot

if there is no hurry and money is no problem, you might want to hold off until the K New arrives

it has been rumored to be here " in the near future " for at least a year now
@aslyfox - Yeah, I've used those comparison tools WAY more than is necessary. (Apparently the facts don't change every time I revisit the page lol). And I've used 3 or 4 other comparison websites just to make extra sure I see the same things again.

I'm not particularly in a rush, but I don't see waiting for the K New worth it at this stage. I'd guess out of the gate it will be above my budget and I'll get more bang for the buck with one of the already mentioned models, especially if I get a lightly-used one.

What are your particular talking points for recommending the K-3ii?
08-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbyscon Quote
Budget: < $800 preferably (relatively lightly used is fine)
What look like nice K-3s are going on Ebay for under $500
08-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
What look like nice K-3s are going on Ebay for under $500
@AstroDave - Would you recommend a K-3 (not 3ii) over a K-70?
08-08-2020, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

To rephrase, are the features/benefits of the KP or K-3ii worth $200-ish over the K-70?
Yes, the K-70 and KP are sorta in the same era. The K-3ii is still recent, but kinda yesteryear...
The K-70 is entry level dslr, the KP is advanced dslr, and the K-3ii was/is a flagship dslr.
Both the KP and the K3ii would out perform the K-70, and easily worth $200 imo..
08-08-2020, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . What are your particular talking points for recommending the K-3ii?
I like both the K 3 and K 3 II

I think that both are top of the line ASP-C bodies

[ I claim no expertise, I just tend to post a lot ]

either is good for me

build and features

burst rate

two sd cards

the battery grip take regular or has a AA battery tray

question between them is do I want a fill in flash or gps built in and the slight differences between them

I have been lucky enough to go on trips where I wanted two cameras, one with wide angle other with telephoto with me at all times

I found the K 3 II with battery grip for free on sale so that is why I have both

the KP was won in one of the forum's contests by luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-09-2020 at 06:57 AM.
08-08-2020, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the KP was won in one of the forum's contests by luck
someone of us still have not fully recovered...
08-08-2020, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a KP from a PF member and am very pleased with it. In auto white balance and 'Natural' custom image mode, the colors are more accurate than my K-5IIs. I thought I would miss the top LCD screen, but I don't. I've got auto-ISO set to top out at 6400; IQ is still very good. Wonderful camera in most respects except for the anemic built-in flash (GN6). However.....

If you want to use the camera for a long time and shoot sports in burst mode, I'd have to recommend the K-3. Its shutter is rated for 200,000 clicks as opposed to 100,000 for the KP. It's a flagship model as opposed to the mid-level K-70.
08-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@AstroDave - Would you recommend a K-3 (not 3ii) over a K-70?
Never shot a K-70, but I have and really like my K-3. It is (other than the K-3ii) the top-of-the-line APS-C camera from Pentax. We all hope/expect the "K-new" to blow it away, but the price may be formidable.

The K-70 may also be subject to the aperture block problem. See this story: K-70, aperture block solenoid, extended warranty, and Precision Camera - PentaxForums.com

If you buy a new K-70, seems like investing in the extended warranty might be a good idea - especially if you can get it for $17 like that poster.