Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Thanks for all this input! As a new KP owner, my current long zoom is a bit short, at 250. This made my next choice easy, as a 400 F2.8 is not in my life.
Does this mean you are getting a 55-300 PLM? OR a D-FA 150-450? Either are great, but you will want a battery grip with the D-FA!

08-09-2020, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-70 out, KP edging out K-3ii.

Thanks so much for all of the useful replies!

OK - so the K-70 is officially out. Not seeing enough of a benefit other than saving some money, but I'd rather make a better investment and the price difference seems well worth it. I was leaning more heavily towards the K-3ii because of the FPS, buffer, and build design, but I think I'm now back leaning the KP direction as "best all-around bet". The low-light and AF performance are consistently praised as the best Pentax has to offer in APS-C both on this site and many others.

The GPS vs built-in flash point is not really a factor for me, but if it was an even toss-up between the K-3ii and KP I'd lean towards the GPS as I'd get more use from it. I've never had GPS on a camera and could buy the add-on if I really wanted to get into astro and use that feature. Tilting LCD could be nice, but again I've never had it and wouldn't miss it. 3 scroll wheels would be nice as I do struggle with that on the K-r when shooting in M.

I will definitely improve my lens selection, but for now I'm happy with what I have been using for what I need. Makes more sense for me to step up on the camera body (again, coming from a K-r) and get more from my existing lenses. That 55-300 PLM is likely jumping towards the top of the list...but that will be research for another time!

Still haven't 100% decided on KP vs K-3ii, but it does seem to make sense to go with the KP unless I can find a great deal on a K-3ii.

That said, here's a question about buying used: KP shutter life being half of the K-3ii is a minor concern. I really mean minor as 100K is likely plenty for me. However, what are the problems that cameras with higher shutter counts run into? If a used camera has 10-20% of it's theoretical shutter life "used up", (thinking a K-3ii with 20-40K clicks), would it have any noticeable impact? Obvious concerns of buying used vs new aside. I'm just trying to understand the shutter life concept and what level of consideration that should play. I know it's really an "it depends" kind of question.

Thanks again for all of the feedback so far!
08-09-2020, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Does this mean you are getting a 55-300 PLM? OR a D-FA 150-450? Either are great, but you will want a battery grip with the D-FA!

PLM..... size matters!

08-09-2020, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbyscon Quote
. . . That said, here's a question about buying used: KP shutter life being half of the K-3ii is a minor concern. I really mean minor as 100K is likely plenty for me. . . I'm just trying to understand the shutter life concept and what level of consideration that should play. I know it's really an "it depends" kind of question.

remember that the shutter count listed is an estimate by Pentax

no way of knowing, as far as I know, how accurate it is

obviously, the more a camera is used, the more likely some problem might happen

especially with those like the K 30, 50 and 70 that has known problems

sorry can't be more precise

PLM..... size matters!
wimp

08-09-2020, 09:18 AM - 4 Likes   #35
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

as a 400 F2.8 is not in my life.
.... well not with that attitude..
08-09-2020, 09:30 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
.... well not with that attitude..

Well YOU convince the wife........I couldn't hide it!
08-09-2020, 12:09 PM - 4 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
remember that the shutter count listed is an estimate by Pentax
Right. Your results may vary. I read a thread here on PF that some shutters failed at 60K and others were going strong above 200K. Do you shoot in predominantly hot or cold weather? That might affect shutter life. Do you take shots one at a time or use burst mode a lot? Do you use predominantly fast or slow shutter speeds? Do you hold your tongue a certain way, or is the Sun in a sunspot cycle? So many variables! I do think a 100K rating vs. a 200K rating is significant for comparison, but doesn't guarantee either camera will actually reach that number.

I bought my K-5IIs with about 30K on the shutter without hesitation. I rarely use burst mode, and don't shoot every day, so I expect the shutter to last for years. The K-5 and K-3 families were built as rock-solid flagship models. The KP has a well-earned reputation. Though maybe not officially a 'flagship' model, I've got to believe its shutter is of at least the same quality as the K-5's 100K shutter.

what are the problems that cameras with higher shutter counts run into?
My understanding is that shutter speed timing may start to drift. So, for instance, instead of 1/125 sec you may get 1/130 or 1/120 or worse. (Measuring actual shutter speeds is a deep rabbit hole to go into.) If your camera isn't giving you the 1/125 sec you expect your exposures may be off.

If a used camera has 10-20% of it's theoretical shutter life "used up", (thinking a K-3ii with 20-40K clicks), would it have any noticeable impact?
I highly doubt it, unless the camera had been used in extreme environmental conditions or had been dropped.

08-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote

My understanding is that shutter speed timing may start to drift. So, for instance, instead of 1/125 sec you may get 1/130 or 1/120 or worse. (Measuring actual shutter speeds is a deep rabbit hole to go into.) If your camera isn't giving you the 1/125 sec you expect your exposures may be off.
That would never be an issue........concern is speed varies erratically, not within tolerances. Mechanical shutters should be consistent, not erratic or exact.
08-09-2020, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks so much for all of the useful replies!

OK - so the K-70 is officially out. Not seeing enough of a benefit other than saving some money, but I'd rather make a better investment and the price difference seems well worth it. I was leaning more heavily towards the K-3ii because of the FPS, buffer, and build design, but I think I'm now back leaning the KP direction as "best all-around bet". The low-light and AF performance are consistently praised as the best Pentax has to offer in APS-C both on this site and many others.

The GPS vs built-in flash point is not really a factor for me, but if it was an even toss-up between the K-3ii and KP I'd lean towards the GPS as I'd get more use from it. I've never had GPS on a camera and could buy the add-on if I really wanted to get into astro and use that feature. Tilting LCD could be nice, but again I've never had it and wouldn't miss it. 3 scroll wheels would be nice as I do struggle with that on the K-r when shooting in M.

I will definitely improve my lens selection, but for now I'm happy with what I have been using for what I need. Makes more sense for me to step up on the camera body (again, coming from a K-r) and get more from my existing lenses. That 55-300 PLM is likely jumping towards the top of the list...but that will be research for another time!

Still haven't 100% decided on KP vs K-3ii, but it does seem to make sense to go with the KP unless I can find a great deal on a K-3ii.

That said, here's a question about buying used: KP shutter life being half of the K-3ii is a minor concern. I really mean minor as 100K is likely plenty for me. However, what are the problems that cameras with higher shutter counts run into? If a used camera has 10-20% of it's theoretical shutter life "used up", (thinking a K-3ii with 20-40K clicks), would it have any noticeable impact? Obvious concerns of buying used vs new aside. I'm just trying to understand the shutter life concept and what level of consideration that should play. I know it's really an "it depends" kind of question.

These shutter count expectations are approximations. Both are very strongly-built cameras. The traditional standard for a pro-style well-built body as opposed to amateur-oriented bodies for many years was 100,000. Since the KP is designed for a pro-style compact field body, and for advanced photographers wanting a compact field body, and is not of an amateur-oriented quality and design, you will not find a SCENE setting on the mode dial. You will not be able to get automatic exposure based on specific "Scenes". The same with the K-3 series or K-5 series, and previous flagship models. This means you are expected to know or to learn how to deal with these "scenes" and their lighting challenges on your own.

You don't miss what you never had, but when using that fine Sigma 50mm macro lens for some down low macro work, for instance, you will definitely appreciate the KP's tilt-out rear screen!! Same for other tripod work when set well below eye level. There are advantages and disadvantages, but the advantages of the KP's tilt-out screen vs. the swing-out type are- 1. stronger, more solid construction and 2. can fit into smaller areas as it does not expand beyond the camera width, it stays lined up with the camera.
08-14-2020, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bought a KP - time to relearn!

Went out and bought a KP. Thank you to all who provided insight. It just arrived in the last 30 minutes, so I won't have useful feedback just yet

For what it's worth, I snagged it from Amazon from their "Renewed" store, which by itself includes a 90-day warranty/refund policy. It was $608, came with everything from the box (looks previously unopened...) and has a 12 shutter count. Pretty happy with that deal!

Very first initial reactions:
  • Definitely feels different in my hand from a K-r from an ergonomics POV. Will take a bit of adjustment. (I have large hands and have already installed the L grip. Sits differently in my palm than the K-r.)
  • So. Many. Dials. Overwhelming and incredibly exciting.
  • Fact that it uses the same battery as my K-r is awesome. I already have backup power!
  • Man, this thing feels solid and durable.
  • I never really used Live View with the K-r, but I can definitely see the advantage of this tilt-out screen. Going to reevaluate some of my shooting style.
  • No, really. So. Many. Dials.
08-14-2020, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

You will enjoy it. I snagged one and have yet to set the C functions.... but not a worry, As I’ve explored the features and menu set, I’ve added so many tricks in shooting, and with just over 2500 images, I am totally satisfied! Post up some shots!

Hang up and DRIVE!
08-14-2020, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done!
I went from K5 to KP and the biggest adjustment for me was finding the back AF button. I can’t tell how many times I hit green mode by mistake. With your big hands it may take some getting used to.
Enjoy. It is a great camera.
08-14-2020, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Very first initial reactions:
  • Definitely feels different in my hand from a K-r from an ergonomics POV. Will take a bit of adjustment. (I have large hands and have already installed the L grip. Sits differently in my palm than the K-r.)
  • So. Many. Dials. Overwhelming and incredibly exciting.

The ergonomics can be 'helped' by disabling some of the buttons/switches on the rear of the camera, to give more space for a big hand to grab hold of.
See p.51 'Disabling Operational Controls' and Custom Menu C3 18 '4-way Controller Settings'

Not only do you have "so many dials", but they can be configured differently for different User Modes ... endless confusion

Enjoy!
08-16-2020, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sample photos

Yeah, I'm liking this KP already. Obviously any decision I made was going to be a big step up from the K-r, but I'm quite happy with the decision of the KP over the K-3ii. I've switched the hand grips about a dozen times so far and have landed on the medium grip, for now. I had assumed I would use the large grip and installed that first, but I've found the way my fingers rest with the medium grip is actually more comfortable. That may change, but if anyone else is going through the decision-making process and lands on a KP, I definitely recommend experimenting with all 3 sizes if you have them. For reference, I can palm a basketball

Here are some unwilling participants in my initial tests. Both shots were with the Pentax SMC FA 50mm 1.4 lens and no post other than the text overlays. The cat is at ISO 200 (and I used the tilt screen to get ground-level!) and the dog at ISO 6400. There's definitely some noise at 6400, but nowhere near to the degree that I would have seen with my K-r and likely better than the K-3ii. The significant difference in resolution compared to the K-r is a definite game changer for someone trying to take photos of kids, too. So much more room to crop for small to medium prints.

Looking forward to getting out of the house and doing more testing!
Attached Images

08-16-2020, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

've switched the hand grips about a dozen times so far and have landed on the medium grip, for now.
Lots of folks, even those with large hands, go for other than the large grip. If you buy the battery grip in the future it comes with an additional large grip as that matches up exactly with the battery grip.
Enjoy learning your new camera.