Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Supposedly one of the problems with the original K-5 was that the rear screen scratched easily. This was fixed on the K-5II/IIs. I bought a used K-5IIs which has been a fantastic camera. Up to ISO 1600 the IQ is great. Highly recommended if the price is right ($250-ish) and you don't want something newer.
The K5 issues were pretty well documented in the K5 subforum on this website.
It was almost seemed like a case of if it could go wrong it would.
It started with sensor spots, moved on to very inaccurate AF, i recall dials becoming non functional and buttons falling off as well.
A good K5 was quite wonderful, a bad one was not quite so wonderful. My understanding is they did get most of the bugs worked out of it.
I had problems with the AF being accuracy challenged in all but good daylight. That was the only thing mine suffered from, but it made the AF useless to me 90% of the time.
As an aside, if you shoot a lot of portraits the K7 is quite nice.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 08-09-2020 at 02:43 PM.
08-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
+1 for the K5iiS. I bought one a couple of years ago for not much more than your budget to use alongside my K-S2.
Other than not having a flippy screen which I have used extensively the older camera is very capable and generally seems to get used more often.
If you only have older lenses than the lack of support for KAF4 isn't an issue.
I have both as well as having the KP now for overt two years. I still love my older K-5 IIs- it is that good!

---------- Post added 08-12-20 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a K-5 IIs and it is capable of excellent images. It is well styled and built.
This coming from someone owning the last APS-C flagship, the K-3 II as well as the FF K-1 II! Says a lot about the K-5 IIs. The "s" means not having the AA filter, which can slightly smear fine image detail while it is doing its job of shooting out possible moire artifacts. Unless you habitually shoot subject matter having closely-aligned repeating patterns (like some cloth patterns, etc) you will rarely encounter a problem of moire. My KP's imaging is currently at the very top of APS-C performance, but as I said, I have no hesitation in employing my K-5 IIs. It has a great set of controls, excellent design and build quality.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-12-2020 at 04:53 PM.