Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Need some help with my options of camera and lenses

Hello everybody,

I am new in this forum and I would appreciate some help choosing my next camera and lenses. I am an amateur, but I am interested in exploring the options of my camera. Previously I had Pentax K30, used K5 for a while, and now I decided to go for an upgrade. I have two main options now, both of them are of similar price, it would be around 580 USD after all fees, etc. 1) is Pentax K-3 (1st model) with Tamron 28-75mm and a battery grip, with 130000 shutter count; 2) another is a new Pentax K-70 with Pentax 18-135.

I know they are different cameras and different lenses, but I have to choose between them and would appreciate your help. When I had K-5, I really liked the top-screen, but I also used K-30 and I got used to it. I would probably like to have a K-3, it has a better build and it just feels nicer in hands, but it's an older camera for my price, and lenses are not so universal. Though it has a grip, while the battery of K-70 is not so good. I would probably buy some additional lenses in the future, like 50mm or 15mm, which I previously had and just loved, but for now I am on tight budget and have to choose one general option. I like to shoot in the dark, but mostly just walk around and make some phototours on the details of a city or of nature. I did not use any of these lenses (Tamron or 18-135) before, so I do not know what to expect. Previously I had a kit set of 18-55 and 50-200, 50mm f/1.7, and Pentax 15mm. So this would be my first lenses that are more universal. Of course, it's cheap to buy 50-200 if I feel I need it, so large zoom is not necessarily a big priority (?). Anyways, I really don't know what to expect and how these cameras would feel in reality, since I don't have any experience with of them, and I would appreciate any friendly suggestions and advice you could offer. Thank you in advance!

08-11-2020, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Audrius Quote
Hello everybody,

I am new in this forum and I would appreciate some help choosing my next camera and lenses. I am an amateur, but I am interested in exploring the options of my camera. Previously I had Pentax K30, used K5 for a while, and now I decided to go for an upgrade. I have two main options now, both of them are of similar price, it would be around 580 USD after all fees, etc. 1) is Pentax K-3 (1st model) with Tamron 28-75mm and a battery grip, with 130000 shutter count; 2) another is a new Pentax K-70 with Pentax 18-135.

I know they are different cameras and different lenses, but I have to choose between them and would appreciate your help. When I had K-5, I really liked the top-screen, but I also used K-30 and I got used to it. I would probably like to have a K-3, it has a better build and it just feels nicer in hands, but it's an older camera for my price, and lenses are not so universal. Though it has a grip, while the battery of K-70 is not so good. I would probably buy some additional lenses in the future, like 50mm or 15mm, which I previously had and just loved, but for now I am on tight budget and have to choose one general option. I like to shoot in the dark, but mostly just walk around and make some phototours on the details of a city or of nature. I did not use any of these lenses (Tamron or 18-135) before, so I do not know what to expect. Previously I had a kit set of 18-55 and 50-200, 50mm f/1.7, and Pentax 15mm. So this would be my first lenses that are more universal. Of course, it's cheap to buy 50-200 if I feel I need it, so large zoom is not necessarily a big priority (?). Anyways, I really don't know what to expect and how these cameras would feel in reality, since I don't have any experience with of them, and I would appreciate any friendly suggestions and advice you could offer. Thank you in advance!
Here you can compare camera sensors and how they work at different ISO. Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review
08-11-2020, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3 is definitely better but 130000 is a lot of use for that price from my point of view.
08-11-2020, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not sure what you have found here at the forums yet

I do predict that you will get a lot of opinions on how to spend YOUR money from various members

including moi

[ I claim no particular expertise, I just post a lot ]

here is a side by side comparison of some options:

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

obviously I like the K 3 and K 3 II

some of the K 70 has suffered from a known fault

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/193-pentax-k-70/388721-solenoid-pentax-k-70-a-4.html

no such problems with the K 3 family or the KP as far as I know

I would not make a decision based on what lens comes with what camera choose the camera first then look at the lens

remember that the predicted shutter " life " is not a guaranty but Pentax's estimate

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-11-2020 at 12:42 PM.
08-11-2020, 12:45 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The K-3 is definitely better but 130000 is a lot of use for that price from my point of view.
Yes,but its rated to 200k and could go a long way over.

1) is Pentax K-3 (1st model) with Tamron 28-75mm and a battery grip, with 130000 shutter count; 2) another is a new Pentax K-70 with Pentax 18-135.
If,theres an option of an extended warranty then K-70 .The 18/135 is an excellent lens.Check out the thread in the lens section.The K-3 can be picked up a lot cheaper and the aftermarket grip and batteries too.
08-11-2020, 12:55 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 k-70 & 18-135
08-11-2020, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,but its rated to 200k and could go a long way over.

If,theres an option of an extended warranty then K-70 .The 18/135 is an excellent lens.Check out the thread in the lens section.The K-3 can be picked up a lot cheaper and the aftermarket grip and batteries too.
the price of equipment may depend on the location of the buyer

here in the US we seem to have an advantage on used equipment

elsewhere ???

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (EU) - PentaxForums.com

08-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the price of equipment may depend on the location of the buyer

here in the US we seem to have an advantage on used equipment

elsewhere ???

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (EU) - PentaxForums.com
In EU or in USA, but if the latter, might have to pay import taxes, so the price must really be good.

---------- Post added 08-11-20 at 01:05 PM ----------

In EU or in USA, but if the latter, might have to pay import taxes, so the price must really be good.
But I can also buy from US-shipping only, because I have a logistics partner there, so that would not be a problem
08-11-2020, 01:08 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
elsewhere ???
I wait for bargains,this year KP(under 3kaccutations) mint,a bit under 300U$.Last year K-3(700odd accutations) U$ 300ish.I added aftermarket grip and battery to K-3.
08-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Don't you think these are the good options, because they come with lenses? Wouldn't it be more expensive to buy a body + similar lens?
08-11-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't you think these are the good options, because they come with lenses? Wouldn't it be more expensive to buy a body + similar lens?
I meant choose which camera you think is best for you

Let that be the deciding factor

And take the lens with the best camera
08-11-2020, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

... I like to shoot in the dark, but mostly just walk around and make some phototours on the details of a city or of nature ... 1) is Pentax K-3 (1st model) with Tamron 28-75mm and a battery grip, with 130000 shutter count; 2) another is a new Pentax K-70 with Pentax 18-135.
The K-70 is better for darkness, the K-3 is better for action. If the "nature" you mentioned is landscapes, either camera is great, while the K-3 is better for wildlife due to faster and longer bursts (but you might need a telephoto lens for wildlife).

I couldn't quite tell if you still own the K-5 and lenses. If you still have that, maybe keep it and buy a new lens instead of a camera upgrade. The K-5 is "old" but still a capable camera.

The 18-135 lens is a very versatile zoom range and weather sealed. The 28-75 is a more restricted zoom range and not weather sealed, although it does offer a faster f2.8 aperture.
08-11-2020, 03:34 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 has better high ISO performance, better AF, and extra features like pixel shift. It's compact and has a flippy LCD screen, which many users find useful. It is one of the models prone to aperture block failure, but buying new guards you against that. The DA18-135 is an excellent general purpose lens on a crop camera.

The K-3 is better built (but bigger and heavier), and has better burst speed and buffer depth for action. I would be a little concerned about buying a second hand camera with such a high shutter count though. I have no experience with the Tamron, but 28-75mm is a strange focal range on crop.

Of the two, I would go for the first option.
08-11-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

Besides the useful side-by-side camera comparison posted by aslyfox above, you may also want to take a look at the user reviews for both lenses:
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 AF XR Di LD Macro SP Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Nothing like more info to make a decision harder! If the K-70 behaves itself, or comes with an extended warranty, it and the 18-135mm lens would be a good consumer-grade combo. Very nice images from both of these pieces of gear have been posted here on PF. The lens's focal range makes it a good walk-around choice that will cover lots of scenes.

Unlike the K-70, the K-3 was (is?) a 'flagship' model intended for more discriminating/advanced photographers. Should you get one that already has 65% of its predicted shutter life used up? How long is it likely to take you to shoot another 70K pics? Maybe long enough until the up-coming 'K-new' flagship model comes out and the prices of used K-3s and KPs with low shutter counts drops?
08-11-2020, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

K-70 or wait for a KP with a decent lens in your price range. I would even consider a lightly used K-5IIs before a high shutter count K-3. Then spend more on a lens you really want!.