Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2020, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I think the possibly 'elevated' price for the K-3 is biased by the included battery grip. To my mind, the question would be :- "Do I need the grip or can I make do with a spare battery in my pocket?"
I would consider the 18-135mm lens far more attractive than the Tamron, which is quite possibly an old full-frame lens that was lying about and fitted to the body to make up the package
The K-70 is a little more 'compact' in the hand, compared to my K-5, which takes a bit of getting used to, but unless there are features on the K-3 that you simply "can't live without" I'd suggest the K-70 is the best choice from the two, given the price similarity

08-11-2020, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of good opinions, I would select the K-70 since it is newer technology, it does have a possibility of aperture block failure, but also has a warranty and you can buy the extended warranty. The newer technology is the selling point for me, better autofocus, better in low light, flip screen, etc equals more opportunities for better photos. I would be hesitant to purchase a camera with 130,000 actuations on it, unless it was dirt cheap. Be sure to check the camera comparisons to see what really matters to YOU. All of these features that we bring up mean a lot to us, but maybe they don’t to you, only you can decide that.
08-11-2020, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

I am likely missing something regarding why these two cameras are your only choices. Even so, the 28-70mm is only a useful range for full frame sensor format, not for APSC sensor format (would be the 35mm film format equivalent of a normal; lens (48mm, almost a 50mm) to a 105mm, This is why the range of the APSC kit lens for the K-5 served well, as works as the 35mm film format equivalence of almost what the Tamron lens you mention would be in full frame, i.e., a 27 to 83mm (OK wide angle to portrait worthy). It does not make even an advised upgrade to purchase a K-3 with over half of its rated shutter count shots completely consumed.

You have no way of knowing how the K-3 camera has been treated, the climate it was in as to possible stressors affecting its electronics equilibrium, nor if any quirks loom behind its well designed layout and exterior. And, someone else mentioned the legacy issue with the lesser longevity rated used K-70 aperture control body mechanism (and cited the body's strengths and weaknesses). If your goal is to 'upgrade' for sensor capacity, and newer evolutionary exposure choices, autofocus, buffer, increased burst rates, flippy screen, possbile pixel shift, etc. the sober inquiry is to ask yourself if an upgrade is ensured. Waiting for a KP, or lesser shutter count encumbered K-3 or K-3 II may be wise. Seeing the Tamron optic as not a good fit for the format sobers the view of it as workable with the format system.

It is unclear if you have a working K series digital body, and existing lens(es). The key word seems to be is what is possible as an 'upgrade' or as a risk. Money one has already spent is the easiest to gain investment return on in the world of merry go round the circus active shooting. Let any contributor here know a more finite description of what you hope to receive back from a used equipment purchase, and such may open other avenues of possibility for your own acquisitions and satisfactory gear achievements.
08-11-2020, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for your insights, they are very very helpful and I appreciate each of them a lot! You are right, probably I don't need grip, a few extra batteries would be enough. And I agree about the remark on too many actuations for the Pentax K-3 I was willing to buy. At the moment I have no photo-equipment, that's why I was thinking to buy a more universal lens together with a body and to re-build my set later on. I do not have an option to choose an extended warranty on K70. As climbmountainway said, I am starting to think, maybe these two are really not my only options, maybe I could wait for K3, K3ii or KP body and buy a lens separately. The thing is I am on a tight budget, but I looked at the forum-sales and saw there were some good options before, so something similar could probably come up again.

08-12-2020, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I wait for bargains,. . .
absolutely no problem with " waiting for bargains "

I try to do the same
08-12-2020, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

That K-3 is way too experienced for the asking price. The K-70 is a good option but there are some question marks around reliability.

Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

K-70, aperture block solenoid, extended warranty, and Precision Camera - PentaxForums.com

If it was my money, I would look for a good deal on a KP. Solid performer, especially in low light. No reliability issues of note. Maybe stretch the budget a little for a new KP body and lens, or get a new KP body and a used lens. There are plenty of options for the latter.
08-12-2020, 03:58 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
That K-3 is way too experienced for the asking price. The K-70 is a good option but there are some question marks around reliability.

Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

K-70, aperture block solenoid, extended warranty, and Precision Camera - PentaxForums.com

If it was my money, I would look for a good deal on a KP. Solid performer, especially in low light. No reliability issues of note. Maybe stretch the budget a little for a new KP body and lens, or get a new KP body and a used lens. There are plenty of options for the latter.
ditto. Well said. I'd add my own prejudice, that one should avoid "kit lenses" if he wishes to get better. While it's the photographer's brain that actually makes the image, he can do no better than his equipment and technique will allow.

08-12-2020, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
ditto. Well said. I'd add my own prejudice, that one should avoid "kit lenses" if he wishes to get better. While it's the photographer's brain that actually makes the image, he can do no better than his equipment and technique will allow.
I certainly agree about most "kit lenses", and (IMHO) the only Pentax APS-C one that is worth a look is the 18-135 - although I eventually swopped that for an old Sigma 17-70 which I found to be a lot more useful and a lot sharper/more "contrasty", and so I sold the 18-135 on for quite a bit more cash than the Sigma cost me
08-12-2020, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Audrius Quote
Thank you everybody for your insights, they are very very helpful and I appreciate each of them a lot! You are right, probably I don't need grip, a few extra batteries would be enough. And I agree about the remark on too many actuations for the Pentax K-3 I was willing to buy. At the moment I have no photo-equipment, that's why I was thinking to buy a more universal lens together with a body and to re-build my set later on. I do not have an option to choose an extended warranty on K70. As climbmountainway said, I am starting to think, maybe these two are really not my only options, maybe I could wait for K3, K3ii or KP body and buy a lens separately. The thing is I am on a tight budget, but I looked at the forum-sales and saw there were some good options before, so something similar could probably come up again.
Yes, there are options. Depends on your ability or desire to wait for the right deal for the right equipment. The K-70 is by far the most full-featured and top-performing out there for an "entry-level" model. With other brands, going for a body having WR (weather-resistant) construction you'd be shopping in the $1,000 + range, and another $1,000 plus for a WR lens.

You are right about the versatility.. and the really very fine quality of the DA 18-135mm lens, and when bundled as a kit with the K-70 purchased new, this can be an outstanding value. I just checked B&H here in the US, who offer this package for about $800 USD and even have it with some very useful extras at no charge. As to the capability of this lens, look in the SLR lens section of these forums for the thread- "DA 18-135mm DC WR show us what it can do" to see for yourself the fine results it is capable of. I suggest starting with the last page first and work backwards. You will be impressed. Additionally, the AF performance of this lens is exceptionally fast, quiet, and accurate, and its compact design with exceptional build quality for the cost makes it even more outstanding.
08-13-2020, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I have been waiting for bargains, somehow missed out on new K70 for <500€ and new KP <650€. They both have the same battery as in the K30 which is a plus for me.
Last year I used my cameras far less than usual, hence my hestiation that ended in price increases.
10 000 actuations are my limit on used bodies.

Seb
08-13-2020, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the OP you have a tough choice, the k3 is the better body, but the 18-135 might be a better lens choice. I own the Tammy 28-75 and while it is a fine and sharp lens, the useful focal length on a crop sensor body leaves you wanting more. But the biggest issue is weather sealing. The Tamron lens is not weather sealed. I have had mine fog seriously twice in the last 2 years, and it fogs internally between the aperture Blades and the element next to the aperture Blades.

The other issue with the Tamron lens, which I noticed many years ago is that the aperture Control is not Correct. The lens under exposes by 1/2 stop wide open and over exposes by 1/2 stop when set to minimum aperture. The exposure Error varries linearly Between these 2 limits.
08-13-2020, 04:42 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For the OP you have a tough choice, the k3 is the better body, but the 18-135 might be a better lens choice. I own the Tammy 28-75 and while it is a fine and sharp lens, the useful focal length on a crop sensor body leaves you wanting more. But the biggest issue is weather sealing. The Tamron lens is not weather sealed. I have had mine fog seriously twice in the last 2 years, and it fogs internally between the aperture Blades and the element next to the aperture Blades.

The other issue with the Tamron lens, which I noticed many years ago is that the aperture Control is not Correct. The lens under exposes by 1/2 stop wide open and over exposes by 1/2 stop when set to minimum aperture. The exposure Error varries linearly Between these 2 limits.
Lowell, thank you very much for sharing your experience!
08-27-2020, 03:05 AM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Guys, I have a new dilemma. I can choose:

1) K3ii + 18-55 kit + with Metz 52af 1 for 550 eur (650USD). In this case, I would buy an additional 18-135 as a cheap and good universal lens, so the total would be around.

or

3) K70 with 18-135 already for 550 eur (650USD).

I know there have been discussions on K70 vs K-3ii already, but I am a bit overwhelmed here. I would choose KP, but don't have any possibilities for a good price. I would really appreciate the up-to-date insights on my possible choices. The articulated screen/possible solenoid problem/worse build vs gps/good build/battery/no internal flash, etc... I have read so much about these things that I have no idea what to do anymore... Could you tell from your experience what would be the difference in real life and what would be your choice in my particular situation? K3ii vs K70 having in mind the price difference. Is it worth it? All the help is really appreciated!

Last edited by Kiparisas; 08-27-2020 at 02:55 PM.
08-27-2020, 03:27 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think my choice would be clear

however do you need the advance features of the K 3 II for your photiograpgic interests ?

I have never handled a K 70

any info on shutter activations

QuoteQuote:
Check Your Camera's Shutter Count & Manufacture Date
Use this tool to check your camera's shutter count and find out when the camera was manufactured. Note that if you upload an image that has been processed by Photoshop, etc., it might not be usable as some of its EXIF data could have been stripped. To proceed, simply upload an unedited JPEG photo taken with your camera using the form below! Your files are not stored on our server after the EXIF data is read.

Upload a JPEG photo from your camera:

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/check-shutter-count-exif.html#ixzz6WJUspb1y
08-27-2020, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think my choice would be clear

however do you need the advance features of the K 3 II for your photiograpgic interests ?

I have never handled a K 70

any info on shutter activations

Read more at: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Shutter count is 5 to 10 thousand actuations on each, so they are both in a very good condition on that.