Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

K100ds and full manual mode w/manual lens

Hi,

I have a k100ds and I've not used it whole lot since I've bought it (not a lot of free-time here), but I pulled out my camera and my m42 super-tak 50mm/1.4 and mounted it. I need to make sure that I'm going through the right process to accurately meter and take a photo.

Once I have the lens mounted and camera set to manual mode (m on the dial),

1. set the f-stop on the lens to the setting I want to use for the shot
2. flip the auto/manual switch so the aperture is wide-open
3. compose and focus the scene
4. flip the auto/manual switch so the aperture is closed to the selected f-stop
5. press the AE-L button to meter the scene and set the shutter speed
6. press the shutter release button to take the shot

If I'm missing something...someone please let me know.

I'd assume that this is fairly standard for most all manual mode shooting with this type of lens, since there is NO information being transmitted about aperture setting?

I've also read that these m42 screw-mount lenses could be used in another mode besides manual. If so, which one and how?

I hate to say it, but the past 10 years of point-n-shoot digital and film cameras have dulled my previous SLR shooting knowledge. I didn't really know what a point-n-shoot camera was until 1998. I really need to get to shooting with this camera...and not in "auto-pic" mode!!!

Thanks!

11-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first thing you need to do is make sure the aperture ring is enabled in the menu.

The procedure outlined about works well for "M" lenses. With Takumar lenses, I shoot in Av mode, using the aperture ring to change apertures. The camera will meter through the lens based on the aperture selected and set the shutter speed accordingly. You will most likely need to use the +/- EV to compensate for underexposure. I find +1.3 to +2.0 work for me in most instances.
11-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwhopson Quote
Hi,

I have a k100ds and I've not used it whole lot since I've bought it (not a lot of free-time here), but I pulled out my camera and my m42 super-tak 50mm/1.4 and mounted it. I need to make sure that I'm going through the right process to accurately meter and take a photo.

I'd assume that this is fairly standard for most all manual mode shooting with this type of lens, since there is NO information being transmitted about aperture setting?

I've also read that these m42 screw-mount lenses could be used in another mode besides manual. If so, which one and how?

I hate to say it, but the past 10 years of point-n-shoot digital and film cameras have dulled my previous SLR shooting knowledge. I didn't really know what a point-n-shoot camera was until 1998. I really need to get to shooting with this camera...and not in "auto-pic" mode!!!

Thanks!

you can use it in AV mode, the camera meters the available light... so no need to press the AE-L button all the time.

just remember that if you are metering off a tripod, make sure to block your viewfinder with a cloth or finger, as light entering through it will skew the meter readings, esp if you stop down to f4 or below.
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm a bit puzzled by steps 2 & 4. I don't need them.
Have a look at K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(choose "Flat view" at the top to see all steps at once).

You can also use "Av" mode but that only works if the lens has an "A" setting for the aperture. If not, you can still use it but only if you are shooting wide open since the camera has no way of reading the setting of the aperture ring.

11-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have a look at K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(choose "Flat view" at the top to see all steps at once).

You can also use "Av" mode but that only works if the lens has an "A" setting for the aperture. If not, you can still use it but only if you are shooting wide open since the camera has no way of reading the setting of the aperture ring.
With the Screw mounts you can use AV mode too, as there is no lever to hold the aperture wide open in the Taks. BUT, you will have to take a few test shots to dial in Exposure compensation.
11-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That list is for m4 screwmount lenses - I'm guessing you're talking about ordinary K-mount lenses.
11-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That list is for m4 screwmount lenses - I'm guessing you're talking about ordinary K-mount lenses.
Yes, sorry about the mix-up.

Just got a manual K-mount lens to play with and obviously M42 screw mount lenses are different.
11-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok...Thanks!

I was referring to a screw-mount lens. They have a switch on the side that controls the aperture...one setting for wide open (composing/focusing)...one setting for stopped-down view (metering). Instead of a spring lever to actuate the aperture (K-mount), the screw-mount lenses have a small pin that actuates the aperture. Of course this is no longer functional with a K-mount system camera.

So, I assume in AV mode the meter constantly runs and changes the shutter speed...depending on the changing light of the scene or changes in aperture setting...
So after focusing and setting the aperture you'd simply press the shutter button?!

dwh

11-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi,

Thanks!
For me, step 5 is not needed, just work in AV mode, or in manual just set the shutter speed as you want and check the metering with the DOF preview.

As for steps 2 and 4, they can just as easliy be replaced with change the apature setting i.e. open up and stop down. Also note not all M42 lenses are automatic apature lenses, that was the last development in the mount that pentax made before switching to the K mount.

There are lots of M42 lenses that can only be used in fully manual mode, and therefore my suggestion of open the apature using the apature ring, is much more consistently valid over the whole range of lenses.
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've had a chance to play with Av mode and it works really well with the m42 screw-mount lenses I have. Much easier than always pressing the AE-L button.

I will say, I wasn't really sure about the 50mm/1.4 being a really practical focal length for me, but now that I've been playing with this super-takumar, I really like it. I don' know if it's because it's a prime or what, but the few test shots I've taken seem a lot better than anything I've taken with the 18-55mm kit lens (not that I'm knocking that lens). Now I have to decide if I can live with the yellowed front lens element, want to attempt the sunlight de-yellowing method/trick (a little frightening), or just buy an FA50/1.4 (but I really like the rendering of this lens even with the yellow).

Thanks for the advice!
11-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had a chance to play with Av mode and it works really well with the m42 screw-mount lenses I have. Much easier than always pressing the AE-L button.

I will say, I wasn't really sure about the 50mm/1.4 being a really practical focal length for me, but now that I've been playing with this super-takumar, I really like it. I don' know if it's because it's a prime or what, but the few test shots I've taken seem a lot better than anything I've taken with the 18-55mm kit lens (not that I'm knocking that lens). Now I have to decide if I can live with the yellowed front lens element, want to attempt the sunlight de-yellowing method/trick (a little frightening), or just buy an FA50/1.4 (but I really like the rendering of this lens even with the yellow).

Thanks for the advice!
As long as you don't allow the lens to get got enough to melt the cement between the elements, UV will clear up the yellow quite nicely. If you have a black light, it would probably work just as well.