Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wanting to update... KP or K-1 II?

OK fellow pentaxians (i'm going with it)

bodies I own
K-2000, K-200D, K-r

Lenses i own
16-50 DA*, 18-55, 50-200

Sadly i had several lenses stolen years ago, and this turned me off of photography for a long time... but, I've got a baby on the way and I'm going to get back on that horse.

I really want to go Full frame because I always loved shooting landscapes, and getting that extra width would be great, but really with some of the aps-c based wide lenses it seems it's not needed.

I'm also just having a hard time wrapping my head around the different concepts. such as "you don't have the reach with a full frame".. but isn't a crop sensor exactly that? a cropped image? could one not simply crop an image taken with a k-1 and achieve the same results?

I wouldn't say that budget is no concern, but my intentions are to get a new body, and a new lens, and spend in the neighborhood of 2500.

My personal conceptual preference is K-1 with 24-70

but my mind is telling me to get the KP and a nice prime, as i've got a few lenses that'll work with it.

Biggest shortcoming of the K-r is low light performance and slow shooting speed. I feel that back whenever they updated the firmware i lost some shooting speed for some reason.

TIA
Dave

08-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Dtabbler Quote
I'm also just having a hard time wrapping my head around the different concepts. such as "you don't have the reach with a full frame".. but isn't a crop sensor exactly that? a cropped image? could one not simply crop an image taken with a k-1 and achieve the same results?
You pretty much have it, and the K1 II has a crop mode that effectively turns it into an APS-C sized sensor by turning off the outer pixels. This lets you use DA lenses without vignetting, but the trade-off is it'll be a lower resolution photo than a true APC-C sensor due to the pixel size.
08-13-2020, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't had the KP, but I did transition from APS-C to full frame and I think the K-1 with the 24-70 is an excellent combination. I'd only move away from that option if I was very concerned about the size and weight of my equipment. I kept my K-3 and DA lenses after moving to the K-1, but they were practically never used again.
08-13-2020, 05:38 PM - 11 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP will be a massive step up from your K-r, and will serve you very well for landscapes. The resolution increase will surprise you, and the articulated screen is very useful for low angle shots in the field. Pixel shift will also be a boon.

Your existing lenses, stopped down as is usual for landscape work, should be more than adequate for starters. For a bit more width, flare resistance and starbursts you might want to add a DA 15/4.0 Limited.

Full frame is great, but if you intend to hike deep into the hills you will notice the difference in your carry

Some KP landscapes:

Skagway, Alaska. DA*11-18

Skagway again. DA10-17

Lemaire Channel, Antarctica. DFA28-105

Lake Como, Italy. DA21

Siena, Italy. DA15

Rome, Italy. OK, it's not really a landscape FA43

08-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Dtabbler,

Do you prefer new or used? In Europe we have many options for example this one: You would like to buy the K1 Mark II + 24-70mm, The cost includes a 5 year warranty € 2.649,00.

Adorama: Pentax K1 Mark II = $ 1,796.95 + Pentax 24-70mm = $1,126.95

About B&H: Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens Kit = $2,899.90

So on the 2500 ($ I suppose) you should go back in.

2) with K1 it's true that you can crop / or use the APS optics, but you lose in resolution I think it's on the order of 16 megapixels, I prefer to use full frame optics on K1 and APS on the others.

Nevertheless you have an alternative, I don't know how many DSLRs can validate these advantages.

Greetings, Mario
08-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The KP will be a massive step up from your K-r, and will serve you very well for landscapes. The resolution increase will surprise you, and the articulated screen is very useful for low angle shots in the field. Pixel shift will also be a boon.

Your existing lenses, stopped down as is usual for landscape work, should be more than adequate for starters. For a bit more width, flare resistance and starbursts you might want to add a DA 15/4.0 Limited.

Full frame is great, but if you intend to hike deep into the hills you will notice the difference in your carry
As a frequent distance backpacker, i don't think the weight would be significant to carry. but with the conceptual KP purchase, the 11-18 is on the short list
08-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
This lets you use DA lenses without vignetting, but the trade-off is it'll be a lower resolution photo than a true APC-C sensor due to the pixel size.
Correct.
08-13-2020, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a frequent distance backpacker, i don't think the weight would be significant to carry.
The body is heavier. Every equivalent lens is heavier. The kit will take up more space, which could be used for food, drink, clothing and shelter. As a frequent distance backpacker, these things should matter

08-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll tell you when I bought the K1 it seemed cumbersome compared to the K3II, but after a bit of internship, I find it hard to remember when I go out which car I took,
if I have to take pictures that have a particular value (memories, weddings, exhibitions, recitals and more), I prefer the K1 without second thoughts.

Congratulations for the beautiful pictures.

Ciao Mario
08-13-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To clarify: it depends on what sort of "landscapes" we're talking about.

If the intention of the hike is to make serious landscapes, I would take my 645Z, (or my K-1 Mark II if I'm going light!).

If I'm going on a serious bush walk, and want something to capture some memories on the way, the KP is a great compromise.

More often than not, my photos tend to be the latter. I lack the time and patience to be a *real* landscaper
08-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To clarify: it depends on what sort of "landscapes" we're talking about.

If the intention of the hike is to make serious landscapes, I would take my 645Z, (or my K-1 Mark II if I'm going light!).

If I'm going on a serious bush walk, and want something to capture some memories on the way, the KP is a great compromise.

More often than not, my photos tend to be the latter. I lack the time and patience to be a *real* landscaper
Yeah moving to 645 would be a step 10 years down the road lol...

my intentions are many, macro photography of fungi, portraits etc of the soon to arrive baby, but my joy has always been shooting landscapes for my own personal enjoyment. I'd really like to get a bit more into some night astro-photography to some degree, but nothing serious and still sticking more with landscape images than say, detailed shots of the moon, or Jupiter etc.

I really feel that either would be a huge bump up from the ol K-r of yesteryear, but i fear that the KP may not "last" as long before being outdated. I've also debated looking into mirrorless cameras such as the sonys etc, but have always had an odd affinity for Pentax.
08-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah moving to 645 would be a step 10 years down the road lol...

my intentions are many, macro photography of fungi, portraits etc of the soon to arrive baby, but my joy has always been shooting landscapes for my own personal enjoyment. I'd really like to get a bit more into some night astro-photography to some degree, but nothing serious and still sticking more with landscape images than say, detailed shots of the moon, or Jupiter etc.

I really feel that either would be a huge bump up from the ol K-r of yesteryear, but i fear that the KP may not "last" as long before being outdated. I've also debated looking into mirrorless cameras such as the sonys etc, but have always had an odd affinity for Pentax.
Actually, the K-1, now the K-1 II as a design is longer in the tooth than the KP, the most recent Pentax camera. The KP comes quite close, in fact, to the performance standards of the K-1 II. Sandy has both and his examples speak volumes! The KP is unique indeed as a compact body with pro-style build quality. It can be had at current prices that are remarkable for a camera of this quality. It would be a giant step up from a K-r. I know since I had the K-r and now have had the KP for over 2 years. You would not need to get the quite hefty DFA 24-70mm f/2.8, since you already have the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 lens. Instead, you could put such money to better use by getting the excellent DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 DC AW, also in Sandy's fine examples. The FF counterpart, the DFA 15-30mm f/2.8 is very bulky and very weighty.

Another option is to be patient and wait for the emergence of the next APS-C flagship, which is in its final stage of development. It has had an extraordinarily lengthy R&D period, a prototype has recently been shown, and a video in Japanese with English subtitles has been recently posted. It is claimed to have the best VF ever on APS-C cameras, and numerous other updates not yet disclosed. It will be larger than the KP, but not as large as the K-1 II. I'd give the K-1 II another year or two before the latest developments will be incorporated into its replacement. Sorry, I cannot recall the name of the thread with the video exhibiting the forthcoming new APS-C flagship.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-13-2020 at 07:43 PM.
08-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you already want the the K-1 and 24-70, you should probably get it. Iíve never used a K-1, but I have a
KP, which I am totally happy and satisfied with, it is excellent. You are in a no lose situation with either, chose one and enjoy it.
08-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi

You mention having a ' wider ' view with the K 1, I thought the lens of your choice did that.
Your current lenses are suited for the APS-c format so a KP or wait for the new K to be released.
How old is the Kr now and why wouldn't a new body not last as long ?
08-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Going from the K-r to either KP or K-1 is a huge step up. Autofocus performance and high ISO picture quality will be significantly improved regardless of which camera you pick.

When I last upgraded, the factor that made me decide on the K-1 was primarily because I like to do very low light photos (astrophotography and night cityscapes) and wanted the best sensor for that. For everything else I photograph (mostly landscapes) an APS-C crop sensor would have been just as good, and there are good ultrawide lenses available.

K-1 plus 24-70 is a great combo. My main lens for the K-1 is the 28-105, though, because it's more compact and IMO just as sharp if you don't need f2.8. I use the 15-30 when I need to go wider, and primes for f2.8 or faster.

The KP plus a new prime isn't a bad choice, either. The 16-50 you already have pairs well with it. The 16-50 has a poor reputation but as long as your SDM focus motor works the images should be sharp enough with great contrast. Some primes to consider would be DA 15 for wide landscapes, DFA 100 for macro, or DA* 300 if you do more telephoto and find your current 50-200 lacking.