Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2007, 02:32 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
With firmware v1.1 debug mode, you can iron out most AF problems.
Amazing! Then each tme you change the lens and each time you are to shoot under daylight or tungsten light, remember to change the offset parameter by entering into the debug mode!

Do note also that the debug mode is no longer accessible by the same method in the latest K10D firmware version 1.11.

03-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Some people like testing cameras, not taking pictures with them. As soon as they finish testing a model they look forward for the next...
03-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Agree...

QuoteOriginally posted by Gio645 Quote
Some people like testing cameras, not taking pictures with them. As soon as they finish testing a model they look forward for the next...
I tend to agree with the above statement. There are times when I think the essence of photography has been lost to technical analysis and pixel peeping rather than getting on with why we decided to take photography seriously in the first place. For all intent and purposes the K10D is a fine tool able to capture pretty well everything one can throw at it. Further issues will be addressed in new firmware updates that may not even be officially acknowledged.
03-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Further issues will be addressed in new firmware updates that may not even be officially acknowledged.
It seems like when something is amazing, and so close to perfection, people notice more clearly the few correctable niggles that still exist.

Whatever from Pentax themselves makes you say that, its nice to hear. I still haven't done the update to 1.11, but since a few have noticed improved exposure accuracy I'll do it tommorrow. I didn't intend on going into the debug mode, anyway.

Larry

03-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Sigh...... Here we go again.

K10D first public shipment was only 4 months ago. K100/110D only 8 months ago, and you are looking for a replacement already?????

Who said there would be new bodies at PMA anyway. Where is this expectation coming from?

The only thing I MIGHT expect to see is a mock up of the pro model, and finally a working prototype of the 645D.
03-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #51
Veteran Member

645d

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Sigh...... Here we go again.

K10D first public shipment was only 4 months ago. K100/110D only 8 months ago, and you are looking for a replacement already?????

Who said there would be new bodies at PMA anyway. Where is this expectation coming from?

The only thing I MIGHT expect to see is a mock up of the pro model, and finally a working prototype of the 645D.
I tend to think that we might see the 645D before an evolution and newer models of the K100D and K10D.
03-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I would agree. I think once the new lenses are well on there way to production, Pentax should redouble their efforts to get the 645D into production. I think this is an important camera system for Pentax's professional level future.

03-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Not acceptable.

You don't take $1000 from me for a camera, and solve its obvious problems in an updated version a few months later to avoid a recall, or firmware update.

That blows loyalty. I wouldn't be the only one to sell my K10D, and go another brand. Therefore, no future lens, body, or accessory purchases. I'd suffer any shortcomings of another brand just to not buy Pentax again if thats the reaction to the issues of already purchased cameras.

They just won't do that to K10D owners.

Larry
Why not, doesn't Microsoft do that all the time?

But seriously, there are lots of things that could be changed in software in the existing cameras to make them better. All that is needed is first of all a way to get the comments to the right people at pentax, and I am not sure the contact through their web site for tech support is anything other than a dead end, and second, we need some sign from pentax (implementation of some changes) that they are willing to listen.
03-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #54

I'm not sure why people complain about the K100 being too big. I have very small (some would say girlish) hands, and I find the D40 and 350D are uncomfortably small in my hands. The K100 was the most comfortable camera I tried when I was looking for a DSLR, with the E500 second, and the D50 a very close third. I found the D50 body a bit on the thick side, but felt it would be very comfortable for most users.
The K100 is sized such that the buttons and dials can be easily manipulated while wearing light winter gloves, but does not seem unreasonably large.
03-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #55
Veteran Member

A little while back before PMA, I was one of those guilty of expecting a new camera to be announced. In hindsight, considering how new the cameras K10D, and K100/110D's still are, I don't find it unreasonable if there are no new bodies announced.

I am not shocked to hear that Nikon has anounced a D40x (10MP) cam so soon (this from dpreview). I think that although Pentax has a great lineup, Pentax does need to do something to address this.
03-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Well, all Pentax has to do is really just stuff the 10mpx sensor in from Sony. But I'd rather them work on their imaging processor. If they can nail their jpegs like Canon does, Pentax will gain ground on the camera arena.

As for Samsung, I don't really care as long as they release some firmware. Its been a bloody long time and I'm becoming more and more tempted to slap my GX-1L with the *ist DL2 patches. But I'm afraid it might screw up my camera.
03-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well, all Pentax has to do is really just stuff the 10mpx sensor in from Sony. But I'd rather them work on their imaging processor. If they can nail their jpegs like Canon does, Pentax will gain ground on the camera arena.
I'm assuming that's what they are doing. Perhaps they are just waiting for the next show so that they don't take attention away from their newly announced lenses.
04-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
You really think the D40x is an improvement over the D40 ? I certainly don't.
like they say, you cant polish a turd.

IMO the appeal of entry level cameras is their price for getting you into the DSLR scene. add 200 dollars to the price with the extra MPs and suddenly you have a camera that is neither good (as far as bodies go, lets face it the D40 is the lowest camera nikon sells) or cheap.

And personally, I am content with pentax working on lenses ATM. I wouldnt mind a "more pro" level pentax, but with the K10D being so fresh I would be upset if one were made.
04-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
with the K10D being so fresh I would be upset if one were made.

Yes, but they have decided to rush out a K10D replacement already in the summer/autumn.

Larry
04-02-2007, 02:52 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Is it the cheaper model - k20d?

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Yes, but they have decided to rush out a K10D replacement already in the summer/autumn.

Larry
I will be looking forward to k1d; hopefully in autumn. Given the fact that both DA* zooms are delayed til June to be released, I would think the camera would be introduced next year; well at least after the promised Da 200 and 300 are introduced.