Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

1 day from PMA, still no new Pentax DSLR?

There is only one day left before the PMA, but there is still no announcement from Pentax for any new DSLR..

Will there actually be no new DSLR then? (very likely, I bet)

Indeed, the K100D and K10D are due for replacement or upgrade, which their various weaknesses should be addressed (so as to continue to compete). Especially considering that the K100D has been marketed for nearly one year (since mid-2006), it is undoubtedly that it will be too old when new model can arrive in the next few months, if any.

As it is shown that Pentax has stopped further development on the K100D firmware (at least there is no update on new features nor for debugging, e.g., the annoying auto-iso bug is still there! which the K10D has got rid of this bug already), I originally bet that they are developing a new replacement model, however, now it seems that it is more unlikely and unlikely to see any new stuff.

Once again, the slow act of Pentax possibly causes them to miss the boat again. Just see how Nikon update their D40 so promptly with the D40X.. Afterall, why not a K10Dn and/or a K200D??

03-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #2

Pentax is still in transition from their merger/buyout, so celebrate the fact they are at the least annoucing new lenses, and not folding up shop and saying bye bye.

Plus, the K10D is rather new, and with Pentax's sluggish development, there won't be another new DSLR (well, flagship model at least) for some time.

Otherwise, the only "surprise" they could have would be officially annouce the availability of their 645 Digital that has been in development.

-Ed
03-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K10d was released relatively recently and IMO it is too soon for a replacement, since most users seem very satisfied with it and it seems to be the best value in its class. I could see a K100D2 with 10 mp and better buffering a la Nikon D40x but otherwise I can't see the need to release a new model.
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is anyone out there unhappy with their K series DSLR? These things cost money to design and they need to sell the current models to pay for the next round. We just got the K10 3 months ago, lets enjoy what we have for a few more months.

03-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

haha CBA settling in? I like Olympus' new E410/510 designs. They look a lot like the good ol' film days and the lens mount is more centred.

As for camera annoucements, I'm just happy there's some stuff to read over at DPR along with those high rez photos of the lenses. I hope that if they aren't pulling a last minute news release, they at least post some more info and photos of the 645D.
03-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D will stay a while longer. It has good reviews and is selling well. K10D is too new to mess with. They are still in short supply from Pentax. Don't think we will see a body this PMA. Except 645. Look at all the lenses!
thanks
barondla
03-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would be rather annoyed if they replacecd the K10d already!! I much prefer them focusing on releasing more DA and SDM lenses...

03-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Ed in GA

Most amazing. Even the oldest of the K10D's made it into the hands of consumers less than four months ago and the K100D is less than a year old and people are already wanting a new and improved DSLR from Pentax.

Just goes to show you. No matter what you do, or what you have, some people just cannot be satified.

Go figure!
03-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What are Yah Talkin' About?

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
There is only one day left before the PMA, but there is still no announcement from Pentax for any new DSLR..

Will there actually be no new DSLR then? (very likely, I bet)

Indeed, the K100D and K10D are due for replacement or upgrade, which their various weaknesses should be addressed (so as to continue to compete). Especially considering that the K100D has been marketed for nearly one year (since mid-2006), it is undoubtedly that it will be too old when new model can arrive in the next few months, if any.

As it is shown that Pentax has stopped further development on the K100D firmware (at least there is no update on new features nor for debugging, e.g., the annoying auto-iso bug is still there! which the K10D has got rid of this bug already), I originally bet that they are developing a new replacement model, however, now it seems that it is more unlikely and unlikely to see any new stuff.

Once again, the slow act of Pentax possibly causes them to miss the boat again. Just see how Nikon update their D40 so promptly with the D40X.. Afterall, why not a K10Dn and/or a K200D??
What are yah Talkin' about. Pentax just sent me their new K1000000 with it's new "Hyper Velocity" CensorChip. It has the new FF 60x90mm 4 colour 16 layer 128 bit 16x oversampling technology. It's native image is 250 meg in Raw and has a total pixel count 64 million Pixels. They also sent me their "Ultra Vapour" 7-300mm 1.0 Pancake Limited Lens that fits nicely in my wallet. So what the H--L are you complaining about?

Should be out shortly...
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #10

I fail to understand how Pentax fans are saying that the K10D is due for replacement as it was released last November.

Life cycle of electronic items is about 6 months to 1 year. Not in four-five months. But there were people saying that a replacement for the K10D was due two months after release... amazing
03-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax has earned its reputation (in both film and digital) by making practical, bomb-proof cameras with a long history of excellent lenses. They aren't especially on the cutting edge of technology, but they don't need to be -- the appeal of Pentax cameras is in their sturdy dependability and their lens compatability. So what if my K100D only has 6mp? This is a camera I imagine having for years to come.

IMHO go ahead and let Canon and Nikon get sucked into the endless cycle of R&D for its own sake. They need to continually offer new products because that's how they sell such chintzy-feeling cameras.
03-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What are Yah Talkin' About?

Generally it is more like an 18-24 month cycle and often more for the higher end gear.
03-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Generally it is more like an 18-24 month cycle and often more for the higher end gear.
Correct! Well, at least according Moore's law... However, Pentax is a more conservative company... They won't make a move unless they know for sure it'll work for them.
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just see how Nikon update their D40 so promptly with the D40X..
You really think the D40x is an improvement over the D40 ? I certainly don't.
03-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Indeed, the K100D and K10D are due for replacement or upgrade, which their various weaknesses should be addressed (so as to continue to compete).
Arg. This is just more bait. Replacing the k10d wouldn't make much sense. The camera is new and highly praised, the flagship of their advanced comsumer lineup, and currently being supported with firmware releases and a whole slew of new lenses. Dumping money into body after body with only minor improvements would be a good way to increase the cost of products for the end-user and ultimately sink the company.

Every camera has strengths and weaknesses. You adapt to the system and learn to minimize the effect of the weaknesses and take full advantage of the strengths.

If you're hungry for a new body I'd suggest investing in a second system to supplement your k100d.