Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
You really think the D40x is an improvement over the D40 ? I certainly don't.
The D40x isn't a replacement, but an additional model at a higher price point to fit a marketing niche. It's possible that Pentax would do something similar, but I can't imagine why we'd really want them to.

03-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why should they?

Both the K100D and the K10D are selling well. Neither camera has been out for even a year yet! There is no need. Besides I personally don't think the new Nikon 40 is any kind of improvement over the old Nikon 40.

NaCl(if it's selling well why kill it? )H2O
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Yea the Nikon D40x isn't much of a leap. Sensor change and buffer increase. I feel bad for all those duped into buying one only to have a high MP vesion to be annouced not long after.
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
There is only one day left before the PMA, but there is still no announcement from Pentax for any new DSLR..

Will there actually be no new DSLR then? (very likely, I bet)

Indeed, the K100D and K10D are due for replacement or upgrade, which their various weaknesses should be addressed (so as to continue to compete). Especially considering that the K100D has been marketed for nearly one year (since mid-2006), it is undoubtedly that it will be too old when new model can arrive in the next few months, if any.

As it is shown that Pentax has stopped further development on the K100D firmware (at least there is no update on new features nor for debugging, e.g., the annoying auto-iso bug is still there! which the K10D has got rid of this bug already), I originally bet that they are developing a new replacement model, however, now it seems that it is more unlikely and unlikely to see any new stuff.

Once again, the slow act of Pentax possibly causes them to miss the boat again. Just see how Nikon update their D40 so promptly with the D40X.. Afterall, why not a K10Dn and/or a K200D??
If you are really that dis-satisfied with pentax, you can always purchase N&&#@ or C&&#@.

Really, what needs to be addressed in the short term is getting good sensible feedback on real issues that are addressible with software changes only, not a parade of cameras that go out of date in a few days with all sorts of bells and wistles that are at best aimed at the point and shoot market not serious photographers, and certainly not just bashing pentax or for that matter any other supplier for the sake of being negative.

03-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I just bought a K100D, but I would have been happier with a K50D that kept the sensor, added the improved SR of the K10, better viewfinder (0.95x 100%?) and SDM support

they *could* go to the 10Mpixel sensor without upsetting me if they kept the price down and included a useable 3200ISO

other than that.. maybe bigger buffer? maybe faster frame rate? Mostly I would only pay more for an improved viewfinder.
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
What are yah Talkin' about. Pentax just sent me their new K1000000 with it's new "Hyper Velocity" CensorChip. It has the new FF 60x90mm 4 colour 16 layer 128 bit 16x oversampling technology. It's native image is 250 meg in Raw and has a total pixel count 64 million Pixels. They also sent me their "Ultra Vapour" 7-300mm 1.0 Pancake Limited Lens that fits nicely in my wallet. So what the H--L are you complaining about?

Should be out shortly...
I'm holding out for the K1000000 Plus. It will add solar panels (no more dead batteries!), and will include Photoshop CS3 Lite in body for instant PP, as well as the ability to wirelessly post your photos to the internet. DPR will be blocked by default . Estimated release date is 6.4 hours after the release of the K1000000.
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

well it seems there are those that want a better camera free via magic firmware updates and those who just want a better camera..

course if someone offers me a few more mega pixels and some more noise along with em like nikon have just offered their entry level users i can say i am gonna go "whoopey"..

but its bound to happen soon.. sony have probably already decided to phase out the six mega pixel senor on simple grounds.. its not cost effective to produce two sensors when one will do for all.. so pentax will soon have to ditch the 6 mega pixel sensor like it or not..

probably a good thing really.. noise bringing an end to the mega pixel race.. we might really get a better camera for better money then.. ten mega pixels might at least for some time become the norm.. if it does they can get on with making better cameras in their need to sell more of em..

trog

ps.. things dont go on for ever.. in the cpu speed race heat brought intel to a stop.. in the CD speed race plastic not being able to spin faster than xxx speed brought em to a stop.. with camera sensors noise will bring the mega pixel race to a stop.. or at least for a while it will..

Last edited by trog100; 03-07-2007 at 11:37 AM.
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The rumour in the Nikon community, which I still participate in, God forgive me is that Sony will be discontinuing the 6 mp sensor and the D40 will be made until they run out of old stock. The D40x would then have been a necessary move on their part

If this is true Pentax may have no choice but to change the K100d sensor to 10 mp. I hope not since I love the 6 mp sensor with its good noise performance and weak IR filter.
03-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Yea the Nikon D40x isn't much of a leap. Sensor change and buffer increase. I feel bad for all those duped into buying one only to have a high MP vesion to be annouced not long after.
Why? The new version is more expensive. If they wanted to pay more for a 10MP camera, they could have done that last week too.
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #25

I do not often agree with Rice's comments and this post is no exception!!

The K10D is only a few months old and is an excellent camera, especially for the price so why anyone would expect it to be replaced already is beyond my comprehension. In all the reviews I have read it is rated very highly and usually compared with more expensive offerings from Canon and Nikon (EOS30D and D200).

The major criticism is usually that the JPG's are a little soft which could be fixed with a firmware release (this does not apply to RAW images).

I think it is better for Pentax to concentrate on fixing any minor issues which do exist with firmware updates and produce more lenses and accessories. In the meantime most of us have plenty to do in learning to use the features already built into our cameras and improve our picture-taking and post-processing skills.
03-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote

The major criticism is usually that the JPG's are a little soft which could be fixed with a firmware release (this does not apply to RAW images).
Or, you can turn up the sharpness level in the menu.
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
What are yah Talkin' about. Pentax just sent me their new K1000000 with it's new "Hyper Velocity" CensorChip. It has the new FF 60x90mm 4 colour 16 layer 128 bit 16x oversampling technology. It's native image is 250 meg in Raw and has a total pixel count 64 million Pixels. They also sent me their "Ultra Vapour" 7-300mm 1.0 Pancake Limited Lens that fits nicely in my wallet. So what the H--L are you complaining about?

Should be out shortly...

And RiceHigh will still complain that it isn't good enough!
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Indeed, the K100D and K10D are due for replacement or upgrade, which their various weaknesses should be addressed (so as to continue to compete). Especially considering that the K100D has been marketed for nearly one year (since mid-2006), it is undoubtedly that it will be too old when new model can arrive in the next few months, if any.

This is total troll behaviour! Make an outlandish comment to start a thread, then vanish and not respond.

It's a reflection of your credibility in my eyes, RiceHigh.

The K10D is not even six months old. The K100D was released in August. Again, hardly 6 months old! It's obscene that they would replace those cameras at this point.

Go take some photos instead of whining, RiceHigh.

Mike
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
I'm holding out for the K1000000 Plus. It will add solar panels (no more dead batteries!), and will include Photoshop CS3 Lite in body for instant PP, as well as the ability to wirelessly post your photos to the internet. DPR will be blocked by default . Estimated release date is 6.4 hours after the release of the K1000000.
Why don't we all ask pentax for a USB 10000 cable (USB 2 is too slow) that plugs into our ears, along with a new image processing program, mindread.exe that takes what our brains want to see through our eyes?

That way we eliminate the camera all together. Maybe we can even upload new functions to the users!
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

while I don't think that K10D needs to be updated, I agree with RiceHigh regarding K100D/K110D. New SDM lenses automatically makes those bodies obsolete. Pentax should bring out entry level body with SDM support as soon as possible.