Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2020, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An Opinion Article

Monday morning, catching up on emails.

Found this opinion article from "The Photoblographer" interesting and couldn't see where it was posted on the forums so thought it was worth a share:

The Nikon Df Was Ahead of Its Time, Now We Need More Cameras Like it

Almost a deja vu moment; is this not skirting the values expressed in the recently published Pentax Vision? To quell the masses (and perhaps make the advert $$), the N's & C's have to be featured but the author does give positive light to the Pentax K-1ii.

My take away, there will never be a "perfect" one size fits all but some people will still contine to ask and continue to be disappointed. Wetting themselves each time a "new" trinket hits the street only to be disappointed when that model is trumped by the the next rendition of someone's technology. Pentax's vision of "joy" makes a lot of sense and perhaps they've led the pack (again, although that will never be acknowledged).

Last edited by AlwaysAl; 08-17-2020 at 06:12 AM.
08-17-2020, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting article, thanks for sharing this. I particularly like the line that went - the only time my camera is in video mode is when I accidentally shift into it. I totally agree with that. I never have been much of a video person. I've had video on my K-5, K-3, K-1II, and even my 645z. I don't recall ever shooting it on my K-1II and never on the 645z. I might have shot a few minutes of video on my K-5 as it was a new thing to me at the time, but never anything serious. To contrast that, I've shot thousands of images with all of my cameras in the same interval and heck what I've always enjoyed with my Pentax cameras is that they just seem to be laid out for still photography (and for me landscape photography tends to be my focus).

I remember when the K-7 was being rolled out. It was (as I recall), the first DSLR with video. Not too long after that the C/N/S crowd followed suit and the poor K-7 was maligned for not be as good at video as those other brands. The same thing happened with the K-5's video features, I didn't care about video then and still don't today, even though my K-5 still is my favorite camera for layout and photography. Oh well.

Anyway, nice to read this viewpoint because up to now I have suspected that my total lack of interest with video was a flaw in my interests. Not worried about that any more.
08-17-2020, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Over the years, I have had a K5, K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. I am only certain the the video on the K5 worked. I have never even tested it on my other DSLR's. My iPhone Xr and Panasonic FZ1000 are there if I really need video.
08-17-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I remember when the K-7 was being rolled out. It was (as I recall), the first DSLR with video. Not too long after that the C/N/S crowd followed suit and the poor K-7 was maligned for not be as good at video as those other brands. The same thing happened with the K-5's video features, I didn't care about video then and still don't today, even though my K-5 still is my favorite camera for layout and photography. Oh well.
You recall incorrectly. The Nikon D90 was the first DSLR with video in Oct. 2008. The K-7 was announced in May 2009. Maligned more for it's use of the 14 MP Samsung sensor than it's use of MotionJPEG codec. The Kx introduced in Oct. 2009 used the same 12 MP Sony sensor as the D90/D300/D5000. Lots of posts on this forum were of the "Give me a K-7 with the Kx sensor" variety until the K-5 was announced at the same time as the D7000...

08-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #5

I made some video maybe one every 2 ou 3 years, in holidays... I am happy that my cameras can do it when needed, but then I will use one of my MFT camera which are just very good about it.

When I use my 645D, video doesn't lack to me; when I use my K1, I never think about making video with it as I get better and lower cameras for that.

That said, about Pentax, I do not think full HD Capabilities does really change something to the price ... because you jut don't need the same technical specs for full HD comparing to 4k or 8k cameras. I believe that pentax offer the video capabilities their camera dedicated to photographers CAN do. But we can't call the K1 a video camera that can produce still images
08-17-2020, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a bit odd.

The author did put it in there that he likes Pentax cameras as they offer that pure experience.

In the article, author wrote (quote):

"I am often mocked for my like of Pentax cameras, but they do offer a pure photography experience. The Pentax K1 II will forever be one of my all-time favorite stills cameras."

=======

My bad. Read incorrectly.

Yes. Author positive on Pentax.
In fact, sharing that been mocked for liking Pentax and that Pentax offers that pure photography experience, is just heartening.

Last edited by termy; 08-17-2020 at 08:34 AM.
08-17-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
I am often mocked for my like of Pentax cameras
Politely ignore the scoffers, or try to enlighten them if they're receptive. Some would mock me for my use of my everyday jpeg editor PhotoFiltre 7. Hey, it's free, works great (except for downsizing), has lots of capability, and is easy to use. Mock away if you wish. I get 'likes' on my posted photos. So what if a help screen is occasionally in French.

It will be so interesting to see the photography industry reaction to the K-New, not to mention PF member's reaction.

08-17-2020, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

If you're not into video as much as stills, then what you can video on your smart phone is often good enough with basic cuts, splices and transitons. Otherwise a more serious video production can mean a big editing project.

I still have a Df. It's okay. Handholding in lower light where you want both some DOF and lower ISO will find you reaching for a tripod a few stops sooner than a stabilized camera. It certainly could use a second version with some ergonomics corrected and a few other things.
08-17-2020, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Monday morning, catching up on emails.

Found this opinion article from "The Photoblographer" interesting and couldn't see where it was posted on the forums so thought it was worth a share:

The Nikon Df Was Ahead of Its Time, Now We Need More Cameras Like it

Almost a deja vu moment; is this not skirting the values expressed in the recently published Pentax Vision? To quell the masses (and perhaps make the advert $$), the N's & C's have to be featured but the author does give positive light to the Pentax K-1ii.

My take away, there will never be a "perfect" one size fits all but some people will still contine to ask and continue to be disappointed. Wetting themselves each time a "new" trinket hits the street only to be disappointed when that model is trumped by the the next rendition of someone's technology. Pentax's vision of "joy" makes a lot of sense and perhaps they've led the pack (again, although that will never be acknowledged).
Nice article. The Df is (was) a glorious camera. It's very well made and sits in the hand really nicely. I'd say the K-1 is at least as good, handling wise. The Df is the only Nikon I've ever wanted. A friend of mine has one. I play with it whenever I can.
08-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You recall incorrectly. The Nikon D90 was the first DSLR with video in Oct. 2008. The K-7 was announced in May 2009. Maligned more for it's use of the 14 MP Samsung sensor than it's use of MotionJPEG codec. The Kx introduced in Oct. 2009 used the same 12 MP Sony sensor as the D90/D300/D5000. Lots of posts on this forum were of the "Give me a K-7 with the Kx sensor" variety until the K-5 was announced at the same time as the D7000...
Thank you, I stand corrected on this.