Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Pentax K-x firmware update

Hey all. I'm new to this forum and not really a photographer. I'm trying to help out my step-daughter with a camera that was given by her grandmother. It's a bit old it seems, but it's at least digital. I've tried to download the latest firmware on the Ricoh website, and then update her camera. For some reason it is not giving me the option on my laptop to unzip the file or even just to move the .BIN file to the SD card from my Surface Pro 7 laptop.
Is this camera too old to update? The latest post on the forum for the K-x is February of 2019.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks! Joe

08-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by otherworldly85 Quote
Hey all. I'm new to this forum and not really a photographer. I'm trying to help out my step-daughter with a camera that was given by her grandmother. It's a bit old it seems, but it's at least digital. I've tried to download the latest firmware on the Ricoh website, and then update her camera. For some reason it is not giving me the option on my laptop to unzip the file or even just to move the .BIN file to the SD card from my Surface Pro 7 laptop.
Is this camera too old to update? The latest post on the forum for the K-x is February of 2019.
Thanks! Joe
Hey Joe.

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

The age of the camera shouldn't have anything to do with the viability of the firmware update.

Check to see that the lock slider on the SD memory card is set to unlock. If it is you should be able to place the bin file directly onto the root. Also, since the K-X is an older camera, be sure and use a smaller SD memory card size, around 16gb I believe.

Then follow the update instructions, being sure that the battery is fully charged, or even better, connect an AC power adapter if you have one, so the process completes without interruption.
08-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks! Joe
For older cameras, the way Pentax published firmware updates is a bit confusing. Be sure to download the "mac" version if you want the zip file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also be sure your SD card is formatted in camera by the camera.

08-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a bit old it seems, but it's at least digital.
An excellent camera in its day. Not up to today's standards for image size but still good quality and the build and ergonomics are very nice especially for smaller hands. A good camera to learn on.

As noted above you need to put the .bin in the root directory of the SD card. The Mac version is a zip file and is what I always used. The camera doesn't care about anything but the .bin and that is the same whether you download the Mac or Win version. Can you move any file from your Surface to the SD card? I would make sure that works before worrying about the .bin file.

The k-x did have some quirks. It was rather sensitive to battery types. Over the years it was recommended to use Eneloop rechargeables and to set the battery type manually in the menu rather than leaving that setting on auto.
08-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #6

Are you using the card in a reader connected to the Surface or using the USB cable from camera to Surface? If the latter you may need to change the USB connection type in setup menu of the K-x. Otherwise all the previous suggestions should cover possible hitches.
08-18-2020, 12:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks! Joe
Have you managed to extract the BIN file from the download to the Desktop? Having downloaded the kx_e103w.exe file to your desktop, double-clicking it should cause it to unpack itself to the desktop (or wherever you choose).
How are you accessing the SD card from your laptop?
From what I see this laptop does not have an SD slot, are you using a card reader?
As I understand it, you can't write directly to the camera from a computer, only read from it.
Presumably you've checked the existing firmware level on the camera and ascertained that an upgrade is necessary

Last edited by kypfer; 08-18-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Afterthought
01-29-2023, 10:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I know this is an old thread, I just wanted to add a note that on a Windows 11 PC the PC version does nothing when running the .exe that contains the firmware update. Downloading the Mac version gives me a .zip file that works fine.
03-04-2023, 09:55 AM   #9

Changing the USB type on the Pentax to PNP as suggested by Not A Number, fixed that issue.