Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

k100d have rule of thirds grid?

i read in the manual on a "guide display" but don't really know what that does hehe anyone know if there's a grid i can put up?

in case you don't know what i mean, it essentially looks like this

11-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The guide display is just a display on the LCD telling you what all your current settings are. It's the start up display that comes on for a couple seconds.

The rule of thirds screen was available for the PZ1p film cameras. I used it and like it still. Both my PZ1p's have that screen inside.

The K100D book doesn't list any interchangable screens.

The Pentax rule of thirds screens also had diagonal lines. Pentax called it the Golden Section screen and it's code is FK 60. Not sure if it can be custom fitted to a K100D?
11-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you really want one and have the cash you get get a Katz Eye Screen with the Rule of Thirds grid on it. Seems pricey unless you want to used manual lenses. I use the rule of thirds, but you can train yourself pretty quickly just to compose your shots with the rule in mind. Finer adjustments can be done with cropping.
11-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not just take your screen out of the camera and draw your desired lines onto the matte screen, say with a fine black removable drawing pen?
No I didn't do this. You first :-)
Georg (the other)

Last edited by georgweb; 11-07-2008 at 11:09 AM.
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fine tip marker or even a razor line etched in? Like you said--somebody else first...Another hidden benefit of the rule of thirds screen is a rough guide for horizons and verticals like trees. I shoot around water a lot and the ol' tilted waterline is a common "oops".
Hadn't really kept up with the Katz eye discussion, sounds like almost all positive responses from users.
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the screen different than on the K10D? With my K10D, I just eyeball it using the borders of the main focus square. It's rough, but the rule of one thirds is rough anyway.
11-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Is the screen different than on the K10D? With my K10D, I just eyeball it using the borders of the main focus square. It's rough, but the rule of one thirds is rough anyway.
They aren't too far off with the border that the viewfinder doesn't show you.
11-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fit my k10d with the LL80 screen. It's not rule of thirds, it's a 4 x 4 grid, but it works for me, and I use it to keep my trees standing straight. <G>