Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2020, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how dangerous is the K 1 and K 1 II - too late, I got one :eek:

I have not tried the K 1 or K 1 II

I am considering renting one or the other for a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in early September

I will also take my K 3 and K 3 II

how dangerous is my plan

will I be doomed to want the full frame sensor ??

I like to dabble with macro and wildlife photography

I am not so much into landscape or portraits

do I dare or should I avoid this plan at all costs - remember the warning:

" he who sups with the Devil should have a long spoon "

I could, instead, attempt to use my current full frame sensor cameras: the Super Program, Z1 or ME Super

thoughts, comments and suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-06-2020 at 04:57 AM.
08-18-2020, 03:41 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In all honesty the better pair would be the k3 MKII and K1 MKII. For wild life and when you don’t need high iso and tele use the resolution of the ak3 since you crop anyway. Ultra wide and low iso use the K1
08-18-2020, 03:44 PM - 3 Likes   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I like to dabble with macro and wildlife photography
Then your apsc will compete nicely. For closeups I tend to stay back a little from the subject and crop with the K-1 to keep some control of the dof. And you will be finding you have to crop that much more with wildlife and the K-1 so you might as well stick with the K3.
08-18-2020, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear your pain (or, at least, your potential pain). Long spoon indeed; I don't know of any spoon long enough. I am now retired, and my cash flow is not what it used to be. I am happy with my K-5s and the IR-converted K-7. I have all the DA lenses I want (most of them + the three princesses/amigos), and the cost of replacing them with the equivalent full-frame lenses is beyond me (unless I win the lottery). My current kit will do what I want it to; and I still shoot full-frame film. I am waiting for the New APS-C K whatever. I may well stop eating to get it, if necessary.

08-18-2020, 04:10 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 II and K-1 II combo would be quite nice, and you may well be bitten. I think it's going to get down to a lot of personal preference and whether you discover an interest in landscape/wider angles of view once standing immersed in it all. I have both, and upgraded from the K-1, so have a feel for the differences. I'd definitely go for the II. I'd look at the K-1 II as wide FOV and the low light tool, and the K-3 II as your wildlife/telephoto goto. I sometimes think of my K-3 II as my 1.5x teleconverter to compliment my K-1 II. When on foot, I like the smaller size and weight of the APS-C and related lenses.
08-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
. . . the cost of replacing them with the equivalent full-frame lenses is beyond me . . .
I have a few lenses to choose from that should work with the K 1 or K 1 II so that isn't the problem:

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II F2.8

Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA

SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4

SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro

SMC Pentax 55mm F 1.8 52F

Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F2.8-4 Macro Zoom PKA ( Komine )

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 52 F

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW

I'm afraid how addicted the K 1 II might be
08-18-2020, 04:17 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To directly answer your principal question, the danger with the K1 or K1II is that they are so nice, you won't want to go back to your K-3.

08-18-2020, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few lenses to choose from that should work with the K 1 or K 1 II so that isn't the problem:
I think the problem is you're going to need a suitcase size backpack, or at least I would. I'd have a hard time culling your list down and not wanting to experiment with something I left behind. The Sigma 24, and the 43 and 77 would have to come along though.
08-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tend to agree with GUB. The only advantage you will have with the K1 over the K3(ii) is wider FOV for a given focal length and slightly better ISO sensitivity. I just did some calculations that I find interesting. If you use the K1's crop mode to get APS-C equivalent sensor size, you'll actually end up with lower resolution than with the native APS-C 24MP sensor on the K3. The K1 is 7360 x 4912 pixels at full frame (35.9mm x 23.9mm) The K3 is 6000 x 4000 pixels APS-C (23.5mm x 15.6mm). If you use crop mode which is equivalent to APS-C: 23.5mm / 35.9mm = approx 0.65; 15.6mm / 23.9mm also = approx 0.65, so you are using only 65% of the pixels in width and height. 65% of 7360 x 4912 = 4784 x 3192 = 15.2MP.

Edit: As I was doing my calculations and writing my post, I see you listed a large selection of full-frame lens available to you, so this could sway things towards the K1. :-)
08-18-2020, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Sly

What you are really saying is you would rather not have to wait for your film to be developed.

Oh dear..

Dave
08-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
. . . Edit: As I was doing my calculations and writing my post, I see you listed a large selection of full-frame lens available to you, so this could sway things towards the K1. :-)
yeah, as my wife allowed me to get lenses, most " experienced " or found on sale, I kept in mind how they might be used on ASP-C, Film or Full Sensor camera bodies just in case

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Sly

What you are really saying is you would rather not have to wait for your film to be developed.

Oh dear..

Dave
we have a winner

as well as waiting to see if I am screwing up the photos
08-18-2020, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

how dangerous is my plan

will I be doomed to want the full frame sensor

I am not so much into landscape or portraits
There is the danger. RMNP has wonderful landscapes and the k1 will make it a joy. Wide tall landscapes in all sorts of different light. You will struggle with apsc for this reason.
08-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
hahaha!!! thats what it sounds like!

.......considering you do shoot film you will no doubt enjoy the K-1 especially with the FF glass you have........there is definitely something special with seeing the transition of in focus to oof.....
08-18-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
There is the danger. RMNP has wonderful landscapes and the k1 will make it a joy. Wide tall landscapes in all sorts of different light. You will struggle with apsc for this reason.
if I can translate:

" Danger, Will Robinson, Danger "

08-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You do have some impressive FF lenses, a similar circumstance being my only motive towards interest in a FF body. As it is, very good AF 35mm bodies are my long-time FF medium. As to what you are trying to prove, I recommend as long as you are renting- rent a KP also. And maybe, repeat the same comparison when the K-new arrives.