Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We are all different and see and feel things differently..... I sold my K3 after not using it much once I got a 2nd K1..... then.... later.... bought a KP.... which hardly gets used. Planed to use the KP occasionally with the DA 21 etc as light tourist kit.... but not tourist traveling much since I got it. Any travel that is likely to be photo heavy.... K1 all the way.

08-19-2020, 05:39 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Owning the K-3 several years ago, I bought the K-1 to continue reeviews for Pentaxforums.

After all of 30 minutes with the K-1, its ergonomics won me over. I have not used the K-3 anymore, except for reviews.. So, the reverse of what I expected! I have also migratd my lens kit from APS-C to full frame.
08-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I rented that Limited when I went to Yellowstone my second time, wasn't pleases with it on my K 3 and K 3 11

on the full frame sensor of the K 1 or K 1 II?????
I used it in the k1 as stated. I liked my copy on the k-3 but found the angle of view expansion (restoring it to the original angle of view) on the k1 to make the lens more interesting to me.
08-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree; a 40mm on a crop body seems like an odd focal length, but on full frame it's great. I don't love how 50's are just a bit tight for walk-around on full-frame but I like the compactness and speed of a good Plannar-derived 50 so I have them around (also they are common and not costly which I like). If there was a 40mm optic that was as fast and performed as well as my Pentax-M 50 f1.7 and was also as compact and affordable, that would be a wonderful thing.

I actually had my M 40 f2.8 out this last weekend on my MX. Great combination for being on the run (literally).

08-19-2020, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a K1 on a whim because I saw a used one in a shop and got to handle it. I had no interest on going FF for my Nikons beyond film, but thought the K1 would be good to get some digital use out of my 50mm and 28mm lenses. Looking back I'd have probably been better off with a K3 as I now use it for wildlife but I don't regret it.
08-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Invest heavily in APS-C lenses and you will make it economically unfeasible to move to FF. Problem solved

Though I'm reasonably young, fit and in good shape (reasonably...) the biggest problem with FF is the size and weight. I increasingly value the ability to have a camera that I can take anywhere with me, won't weigh me down and will be quick and nimble to use. Even the K-3 is too big and heavy for that purpose, so I use Fujifilm cameras which are perfect. Perhaps a FF mirrorless would fit the bill, if ever anyone makes such a system that appeals to me, but certainly a FF DSLR would be out of the question.

The grass is always greener...
08-19-2020, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't worry. If you rent the K-1, it will take the whole trip just to find all its features and you'll be lucky if you get to use it at all

08-19-2020, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
. . . The grass is always greener...
over the septic tank

The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank March 1, 1995
by Erma Bombeck
08-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Your impressive collection of lenses deserve the full frame goodness of the K1. By renting one, you may be able to prove me wrong. I doubt it.
08-19-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
To directly answer your principal question, the danger with the K1 or K1II is that they are so nice, you won't want to go back to your K-3.
The quote above pretty much sums it up. The dynamic range difference alone makes will be enough to convince you. But looking at your lens list, you have the glass, so going to the K-1/K-1 Mark II is probably the smallest investment you'll make. I have a K-3 and a K-1, and I rarely use the K-3 anymore. The K-1 is just a joy to use. My recommendation is to follow your plan, throw caution to the wind, see if the K-1 is truly for you. You only live once.
08-19-2020, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well thanks for all the replies

and the suggestions

serious and otherwise

[ and kind remarks about the lenses I have ]

but I have decided not to rent either the K 1 or K 1 II

why you ask ?

got an offer I couldn't refuse

a member and I have been pming each other and it looks like I will be buying an " experienced " K 1 II tonight

wife has oked the price - early anniversary present she says

I am surprised at how this has worked out

and how many folks have viewed this thread so far - 1,353

but not about the great help that I got from you folks

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-19-2020 at 01:19 PM.
08-19-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and it looks like I will be buying an " experienced " K 1 II tonight
Good for you, the next thread will be about the regret that you didn't do it sooner .

When it came out I thought it was 'too much'. I got one after using film and then I did not have even a nanosecond of remorse.
08-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #43
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Oh dear what have you done ...........

As they say ... you only live once .. but suffer for eternity.

So .... happy shooting ... Sly
08-19-2020, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my last trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, Sept. 2018, I went thru the same process as you are going thru now. I ultimately decided not to rent the K1, and just went with my K70, Rokinon 14mm, D FA 28-105, DA 55-300mm, and DA* 300mm. Mainly because I didn't want to spend any more money. Once there, I found very few situations where the bigger FOV and better low light performance of the K1 would have given me a big advantage over the K70. My most used lens by far was the D FA 28-105mm, mostly in the 35-65mm range. I occasionally used the 55-300mm and 300mm w/teleconverter. Mainly for the elk in Moraine Park. I don't think I ever pulled the 14mm out of the bag. The only place I thought where a bigger FOV might have been useful was on Trail Ridge Road, above the tree line where the views are more wide open and massive. Or perhaps in Moraine Park, Beaver Meadows, and the Keesienne Valley where the landscape is more open. I just did panoramic shot in those locations.

A bit off topic but related if I may. I would suggest getting a copy of the book "Photographing Rocky Mountain National Park" by Erik Stensland. It's written by a local photographer that been hiking and photographing Rocky Mountain National Park for 20+ years. I found it to be amazing and very helpful in planning what and where to shoot. One of the best photography guides I've ever read. You can get it on Amazon or, like I did, locally in his gallery, "Images of Rocky Mountain National Park", in downtown Estes Park. Which I highly recommend visiting. Some really amazing work. BTW, I have no connection to this at all other than that of a satisfied customer.

Edited to add: While I was typing this, I see you posted that you have gotten a K1. I am sure you will be happy with it and produce some amazing images.

Last edited by DWS1; 08-19-2020 at 01:55 PM.
08-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
. . . A bit off topic but related if I may. I would suggest getting a copy of the book "Photographing Rocky Mountain National Park" by Erik Stensland. . . .
it is on the way

thanks

I always like research