Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep your Rocky Mountain plans loose for now. There are four big fires in the state right now, and one of them is five miles from the park's eastern edge. In Denver, we haven't seen truly clear skies for over a week, and it's hot as heck everywhere. That might change, but we're headed into our driest couple of months. Bottom line: it ain't pretty here...

08-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #47
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I am considering renting one or the other for a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in early September
Do pay attention to the wildfire situation, both near RMNP (Cameron Peak Fire, 16,000 acres) and the smoke/haze from fires further away (such as the 125,000 acre Pine Gulch Fire).

Visitor’s Center On Trail Ridge Road Closed Due To Smoke From Cameron Peak Fire – CBS Denver

These fires are little contained, with little rain expected in the next 2 weeks. They have been burning quite long and well (for them), and are pumping out a lot of smoke. Things could get better, or much worse. There are currently closures in desirable parts of the park. Reservations are required, of course.

I wish you a good trip.
08-19-2020, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Do pay attention to the wildfire situation, both near RMNP (Cameron Peak Fire, 16,000 acres) and the smoke/haze from fires further away (such as the 125,000 acre Pine Gulch Fire).

Visitor’s Center On Trail Ridge Road Closed Due To Smoke From Cameron Peak Fire – CBS Denver

These fires are little contained, with little rain expected in the next 2 weeks. They have been burning quite long and well (for them), and are pumping out a lot of smoke. Things could get better, or much worse. There are currently closures in desirable parts of the park. Reservations are required, of course.

I wish you a good trip.
thanks for the information

we are scheduled to be in Estes Park from 9/10 until 9/15 so hopefully it will be better

we already have reservations for each day

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-19-2020 at 02:22 PM.
08-19-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I bought a K1 the day it was made available. Actually, IIRC, I picked mine up about a week prior to it being available. Anyway, I kept my K3 for both back up purposes and for the rare occasions when I wanted to extend my telephoto lenses a bit.
I've used my K3 exactly once since late April 2016 when I wanted to extend my 600mm lens.
The K1 gives much nicer pictures.

08-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Regarding the camera itself I have carried a variety of (Pentax) cameras and I would say it really depends. My biggest recollection is that in low light you will absolutely want a full frame. It literally opens up a ton of doors to be honest but it tends to shine when conditions are not exactly ideal. At the end of the day if you are shooting in 'daylight' conditions you can use whatever assuming you use a quality lens or two. Also once you start using the right full frame lenses I would say you are definitely on a slippery slope.
08-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"How dangerous is it?"
Very! You won't want to give the rental back!
08-19-2020, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #52
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very! You won't want to give the rental back!
More so Sly has gone and bought one.!

Dave

08-19-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Invest heavily in APS-C lenses and you will make it economically unfeasible to move to FF. Problem solved

Though I'm reasonably young, fit and in good shape (reasonably...) the biggest problem with FF is the size and weight. I increasingly value the ability to have a camera that I can take anywhere with me, won't weigh me down and will be quick and nimble to use. Even the K-3 is too big and heavy for that purpose, so I use Fujifilm cameras which are perfect. Perhaps a FF mirrorless would fit the bill, if ever anyone makes such a system that appeals to me, but certainly a FF DSLR would be out of the question.

The grass is always greener...
On the contrary, I was quite happy for a few years using my FF K-1 with very small F-series lenses, including the 35-70, the 24-50 and the tiny, slow 80-200. Later, I added the 28-105 which is not that big, but my personal lens road map has no place for those beefy 2.8 zooms. Except for the DA 50-135, a masterpiece that keeps one of my feet in the crop camp.
08-19-2020, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

A little down the road, I expect a new thread from you titled.... "All the K1 owners were right all along" ..........
08-19-2020, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
A little down the road, I expect a new thread from you titled.... "All the K1 owners were right all along" ..........
not sure I'm up to starting another thread
08-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 II would be the better choice to rent, in order to realize the best outcome for low light performance from a FF camera. Among your list of FF glass, the tele lens group might possibly serve you better on your K-3 II (except for higher ISO use), but your FA 43mm f/1.9 will serve you a whole new ballgame! It is one of several of my lenses causing me to at least cast an eye in the direction of a FF body. Your Sigma 24mm lens will also provide a wider angle, and with your Japanese 28mm f/2 you will then actually have a fast WA lens! So your interest in a FF body has good rationale.

But the forthcoming APS-C K-new might very well bring performance even closer to that of FF in terms of IQ and low noise.
08-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Where is the danger in starting a thread about the danger of a K1? Well there you go down the rabbit hole. Money already gone.
08-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome into the light. I have never looked back with doubt since purchasing the K1. There are some annoying little quirks with buttons being in the same place but for different uses. Once retrained, not a problem.

Enjoy
08-19-2020, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
More so Sly has gone and bought one.!

Dave
Ah well, it's all downhill from there!
08-19-2020, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure I'm up to starting another thread
Congrats on your purchase Allen. I'm sure you won't regret it.