Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-new vs KP

Hi Pentaxians, hope you are all doing well and keeping safe.

Over the years have saved up enough gift cards and bonuses (put into a special Pentax account, about $800) to buy the KP, but never did it. Now that the K-new is about to hit, I plan on waiting a bit longer to see what the differences are. Wondering if anyone on forum has some insight on choosing between the 2.

I only have APS-C lenses (a lot of them, I had serious LBA a few years ago) and currently have a beloved K-r and underused K30. I am a casual photographer at best.

A friend suggested getting a good FF-capable lens (or two) instead, but I have so much overlap I see no reason to add any more.

Cheers!

EDIT (added after a lot of responses): the $800 is not the limit, just what I have set aside towards any new Pentax body. That said, yes, I understand that the K-new will be more than the current or future price of a KP.

I have the 15, 21 and 20-40 APS-C limiteds, no F series.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 08-23-2020 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added more informaiton
08-23-2020, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
. . ., Now that the K-new is about to hit, I plan on waiting a bit longer to see what the differences are. Wondering if anyone on forum has some insight on choosing between the 2.

I only have APS-C lenses (a lot of them, I had serious LBA a few years ago) and currently have a beloved K-r and underused K30. I am a casual photographer at best.

A friend suggested getting a good FF-capable lens (or two) instead, but I have so much overlap I see no reason to add any more.

Cheers
the KP is known

the K new is rumored - no doubt it exists but what it is exactly is what is rumored

as is its release date

if interested, take a look at some threads here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/

this might help on the issue of ASP-C lenses and the full frame sensor

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/gear-guides/full-frame-coverage-of-da-...xzz6Vww1kVOnr:

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.
08-23-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The KP is amazing so if you need something sooner rather than later you can't go wrong.
08-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the OP has found the camera comparison tool yet ?

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

another place to look for " information " on the K new

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2020 at 07:07 AM.
08-23-2020, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well tha Knew will be *a lot* more expensive than middle to end of life KP.
08-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I wonder if the OP has found the camera comparison tool yet ?

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

another place to look for " information " on the K new

Pentax News and Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Yes, I looked there, thanks. Waiting for K-new to be released and get onto that page.
08-23-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me they will both be great cameras but with market/usage differentiation. The K-new will be much more expensive at first, as has been mentioned, but if you can afford it, it depends on what type of photography you do which will suit you better. (K-ne will be more action oriented, KP possibly better for travel and general photography.

08-23-2020, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Closed Account

I've recently bought the KP. I thought about hanging on for the K-new but I decided two things, one it will probably be more than my budget and two, that the KP suits what i need. Somebody on here wrote that the KP suited the DA Ltd range perfectly and they seem to be the lenses I favour. I've only had it a few days but no regrets about that decision, the KP is a fabulous camera.
08-23-2020, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Speculation about what might be versus facts/opinions about what already exists,seems pretty futile to me YMMV.
08-23-2020, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-3 or k-3ii would be a significant upgrade already. The KP image quality is even better by all accounts. If you want pro build and chunky grip I'd buy a k-3 series camera. If smaller size and higher image quality trumps speed and dual slots then get a KP. If you need both, then wait for the k new.
08-23-2020, 08:15 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Wait for the K-new & make a choice then. The KP might be "dirt cheap" around Black Friday as well. Something to think about.
08-23-2020, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the choice between the KP and the K 3 family may depend on the photographic interests of the potential buyer

is two SD cards slots interesting or needed

is the " burst " rate of interest

is the different ISO of interest

etc, etc, etc,

and so forth and so on

the K 3 family is older but stands up well

the KP is the newest but has different features which may not be ideal

please remember that I claim no particular expertise, I just post a lot
08-23-2020, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bet the K-new will be substantially more pricey than a KP.
08-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally I'd wait for the K-new, simply for the better ergonomics. I almost went for the KP, but I just couldn't get into the grip design. I ended up with a K3 II and it fits like a glove (works great too). I can't see myself using a camera much if it isn't comfortable, even if it technically takes better photos. Not sure if that would play into your decision, but something to consider.
08-23-2020, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #15

The KP can be had right now brand new for about $750, come the holiday season that will drop even further. I got my KP last holiday season for around $700 so I would bet it would be even less coming up. Of course, it makes some sacrifices to what other pro-APS-C's might have (dual card slots etc.) but pound for pound I find the image quality to be fantastic. The one improvement I would look for in the K-new is the autofocus system, but I find the autofocus on the KP to do the job in almost all situations I put it through (depending on which lens I'm using). The ergonomics might also improve, but if you don't mind the smaller overall size of the KP I would say you should consider the KP when you can get a deal. Then you can use the money you save to buy another lens