Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2020, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Get the KP. It's a major upgrade over your K-r and K-30. You've already said that you have $800 saved and are a casual photographer.

The KP is around $750. The price of the K-new is not announced yet, but $1300 and higher is a plausible estimate. The K-new is a different category of camera than the KP.

If you do much specialty photography where burst speed and duration helps, such as birds in flight or fast action sports, then waiting to see the K-new might make sense.

Note that the KP and K-new will not have the scene modes (pets, kids, landscape, etc.) present in the K-r and K-30. Those features are intended for new photographers. You'll still have the usual Auto, Av, Tv, TAv, etc. modes.

08-23-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
I use my flip screen on the KP constantly so the Knew is a non starter for me unfortunately.

The one thing about the KP I would warn about is that even the "big" grip is smaller than your typical DSLR grip and added with the weight of the camera makes it awkward with larger lenses. I use the medium grip but I shoot almost exclusively with the limited primes.
08-23-2020, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
the "big" grip is
Not big enough!

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 04:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
a special Pentax account, about $800)
You will need double that for a K-3 the third,keep saving FAST,it wont be long.
08-23-2020, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a high mileage k3 in the Marketplace cheap, that might be a fine stopgap, to let you see if the k new is going to price you out.

08-23-2020, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

This is to backup what several others have advised here. It is likely that a newly released APS-C body will be much more expensive than the KP, particularly if you look out for the latter during the special deal periods (e.g. Black Friday). The KP is a great camera and will be a very significant upgrade for you. Although it is missing a few flagship model features, it is very capable of producing quite amazing image quality. Among your APS-C lenses do you have any of the 'Limited' series? If not, or if some are missing from your collection, perhaps consider one of those and a KP - they go together perfectly.

Philip
08-23-2020, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Unregistered User

I'm waiting until the new one comes out so I can get another KP on a clearance discount.
08-23-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Pentaxians, hope you are all doing well and keeping safe.

Over the years have saved up enough gift cards and bonuses (put into a special Pentax account, about $800) to buy the KP, but never did it. Now that the K-new is about to hit, I plan on waiting a bit longer to see what the differences are. Wondering if anyone on forum has some insight on choosing between the 2.

I only have APS-C lenses (a lot of them, I had serious LBA a few years ago) and currently have a beloved K-r and underused K30. I am a casual photographer at best.

A friend suggested getting a good FF-capable lens (or two) instead, but I have so much overlap I see no reason to add any more.

Cheers!
According to the rumors, launch date may be next month or the month after. So, it's a "wait and see" game at the moment. It will likely be quite a bit more expensive than $800. Regardless, it would make sense to wait just a little as the KP may drop further in price once the K-new is released, or you may look at the (as yet unknown) specs and decide the KP is good enough.

08-23-2020, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

you should save another $800 for K-new
I was waiting for K-new since 2016. I decided to buy my KP last year and am very satisfied ; since then K-new is not part of my plans anymore.
08-23-2020, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
According to the rumors, launch date may be next month or the month after.
Probably available in November, two to three months away still.

---------- Post added 08-23-20 at 03:00 PM ----------

I only have APS-C lenses (a lot of them, I had serious LBA a few years ago) and currently have a beloved K-r and underused K30. I am a casual photographer at best.
Best to buy the KP I think. A very versatile camera with excellent IQ. Expect the K-4 to be priced around the USD1800 mark.
You don't need FF lenses. Make the most of what you have.
Another option is to buy the K70. It is a good value camera too.

Last edited by BROO; 08-23-2020 at 03:07 PM.
08-23-2020, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Best to buy the KP I think. A very versatile camera with excellent IQ. Expect the K-4 to be priced around the USD1800 mark.
You don't need FF lenses. Make the most of what you have.
Another option is to buy the K70. It is a good value camera too.
I agree. FYI you can get a refurbished K70 direct from the Ricoh Outlet, $499.
08-23-2020, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
. . . Another option is to buy the K70. It is a good value camera too.
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I agree. FYI you can get a refurbished K70 direct from the Ricoh Outlet, $499.
some of the K 70 have suffered from a known fault, the same as the K 30 and K 50 if I am not mistaken

K-70, aperture block solenoid, extended warranty, and Precision Camera - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.
08-23-2020, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You asked opinions on the KP vs the mythical Knew, nobody can compare them yet, it is speculation, with educated guesses. Every new camera that Pentax has put out in recent years is more advanced than the previous release in term of image quality, I would expect that to continue. It will be selling at a higher price than the current APS-C offerings, and their prices will drop, eventually. You’ve watched the videos, you know as much as anyone else here.

I have a KP and love it, it is a fantastic camera, but once the new camera is out it will be the most advanced Pentax camera, personally I would probably wait to make sure it has everything you want, if so buy it. My personal theory is to buy the most advanced camera that you can afford that also meets all of your requirements. You are not going to go wrong with a KP, But other that a new prism and big viewfinder, and maybe a couple other tidbits, we don’t know anything about the camera yet. There have been many conclusions made with insufficient evidence, Don’t get wrapped up in that and then be disappointed, you see this happen with every release. It won’t fit everyone’s wish list, but it will be the best Pentax camera yet. But you can’t go wrong with the KP either.
08-23-2020, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's interesting that you didn't get the Kp already and the K-30 is underutilized. That suggests that the absolute latest tech (whatever it is) isn't all that important. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-new intro price was equal to the Kp plus a lens, and the differential will grow before the K-new gets cheaper.
08-24-2020, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some of us, [ including moi ], may tend to project when asked to recommend gear and recommend what we think was good for us and for OUR photographic interests as being best for any one asking for advice

that might not be correct

everyone can have different " photographic " interests

however unless the person asking tells us what is their specific photographic interest or interests may be -

wide angle

landscape

portraits

wildlife

sports

telephoto

macro

etc, etc, etc,

and every one can have different ability to pay for gear - that word " budget "

[ yes there can be great differences on what some one might be able to spend on this " hobby " ]

it is hard to give specific advice

and we must take in consideration that in certain parts of the world, the " experienced " market can vary a lot

the one thing I am sure of is that the advice offered by our members is in good faith

[ this has been on my mind lately as I am trying to interest my son and his wife into Pentax and DSLR and I have to keep asking myself - what do they want to do with their photography and realizing that it may not be what I am trying to do ]

and if any one chooses to look through the photos posted here in the forums, they can discover good photos taken with all type of gear, from the latest lenses and cameras to the oldest lenses and cameras still operative

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-24-2020 at 03:53 AM.
08-24-2020, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's interesting that you didn't get the Kp already and the K-30 is underutilized. That suggests that the absolute latest tech (whatever it is) isn't all that important. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-new intro price was equal to the Kp plus a lens, and the differential will grow before the K-new gets cheaper.
Wasn't until recently that the last gift card was accumulated and in a pandemic there is not much opportunity to go out and take pictures. And I underuse the K30 because my go-to is still my K-r.

In an earlier thread I wondered about the K-1 vs the KP, and decided that they were similar enough in "techiness" that the large grip and heavy weight of the K-1 was a deterrent.

To be honest, if there had been a simple way to get the KP limited here in the US I'd have bought it already.