Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I can afford it, my next camera will be the KP. It's got everything I need for my photography, plus the flip screen!

08-24-2020, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
And I underuse the K30 because my go-to is still my K-r.
This is what I wonder about. I've had a K-5 then also a K-5 IIs (which I still go-to sometimes even though the KP is now my mainly-chosen body), and at the time I got my first K-5, my secondary body was the K-r. The main reason I owned the K-r was for times when I needed smaller, lighter carrying. When I got it, my main camera then was the big K20D, and the low-light/higher ISO performance of the K-r was far better also. So it served in that capacity as well as lighter carrying.

So now that you have the more advanced, much better featured K-30, which is only a tad larger than the K-r, what still draws you to the K-r?? Knowing this might point the way regarding a choice between the KP and the K-new.

I got my KP in silver and it is beautiful. Looks great with either silver or black lenses. The K-new will come in both finishes also, according to released information, so the same choice will be available.

Some photographers here have qualms over the KP's ergonomics. One of the reasons I went for it and like it so much is BECAUSE of its compact design including its smaller grip. It can fit into a less bulky belt case with a small lens on it, whereas a large, bulky grip would be an impediment. Back in the day, I shot with compact 35mm film bodies having little or no actual right-hand grip for many years. I missed certain stylistic aspects that have reappeared with the KP, on top of its many other advancements. It is a great camera, from my point of view. The K-new will have yet more advancements, and from what has been shown will still be somewhat compact for what it is, but will be quite a bit more money (though after the first year it might drop to around $1,200) and it will be somewhat heavier and bulkier than a KP.

You already have the right lenses that the KP's high quality and compact design complement so beautifully. It and the DA 20-40mm and 15mm Limiteds are a very fine kit. I often add the DA 70mm or FA 77mm as well to keep the carrying still very compact, but there are a number of other good, but bulkier options also for going more into the tele range. Sometimes I take the KP with just the DA 21mm on it, and maybe the DA 15mm, 40mm, and 70mm as well (all very pocketable), that being a super-compact, super-quality kit!

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-24-2020 at 01:34 PM.
08-24-2020, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In an earlier thread I wondered about the K-1 vs the KP, and decided that they were similar enough in "techiness" that the large grip and heavy weight of the K-1 was a deterrent.
Did you hold both?

If not,I'd sugest you do.KP is lighter but you may not like how it feels.There are 3 normal grips and a 4th option of the battery grip.

Then K-Next will be different too(just guessing).
08-24-2020, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Did you hold both?

If not,I'd sugest you do.KP is lighter but you may not like how it feels.There are 3 normal grips and a 4th option of the battery grip.

Then K-Next will be different too(just guessing).
Nope, since where I live, there is no possibility of even seeing either. I used the camera size comparison page to compare my beloved and perfect-hand sized K-r with the KP and then to the K1-II and stopped right there.

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 20:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
..what still draws you to the K-r?? .
Honestly, not sure, except it is the first dSLR I had and is very comfortable and does what I want. And bright red!

The K-30 was used from K E H, a beautiful blue. I use it sometimes, particularly in bad weather with the 18-135, but my go to is still the K-r.

I guess subconsciously I haven't gone ahead with the KP purchase (silver, BTW) because I honestly don't know how much I would use it.

I know getting a good lens would be a better solution, but I have 3 of the limiteds and barely use those.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 08-24-2020 at 06:07 PM.
08-24-2020, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

And bright red!
To match the Ferrari!
08-24-2020, 09:35 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

I have 3 of the limiteds and barely use those.
What a shame
08-25-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . In an earlier thread I wondered about the K-1 vs the KP, and decided that they were similar enough in "techiness" that the large grip and heavy weight of the K-1 was a deterrent.

To be honest, if there had been a simple way to get the KP limited here in the US I'd have bought it already.
that is the first I have seen that KP Limited, it certainly looks interesting in its design

Nope, since where I live, there is no possibility of even seeing either. I used the camera size comparison page to compare my beloved and perfect-hand sized K-r with the KP and then to the K1-II and stopped right there. . . .

most folks I know look at the difference between the KP and the K 1 " family " and focus on the ASP-C vs. " full frame " sensor

unfortunately the only way I know of to try out different cameras is to rent

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

[ others have suggested buying them with the intent to return one ]

I was unaware of the comparison tool that you found: https://camerasize.com

thanks for bringing that to my attention

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-25-2020 at 03:53 AM.
08-25-2020, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Closed Account

A few people have mentioned the KP not being as comfortable to hold with larger lenses but I've adapted quite quickly to holding it with my largest lens the Tamron 70-200. Initially it did feel clumsier with that lens but because the KP has 'dropped shoulders' in comparison to the K5, say, I found my palm just cupping under the camera more, in fact I didn't really discern any difficulty using it for an hour or so the other day. I've still got the large grip on because that felt more natural coming from the K5 but I shall probably move to the medium grip soon.
08-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, I am now remembering the other big thing that might have made me hesitate buying the KP - the placement of the strap connectors. The K-r and the K-30 both have slots on the sides (symmetrical) that the strap goes through. Camera hangs nicely on my neck and the strap falls away, out of the way of anything I need.

The KP has asymmetric strap lugs. The one on the left side is in front of the mode dial which might not be a big deal but I still dislike it. The one in the right side is centered and the left, IMO, ought to be the same. I know the K-1 is the same way, apparently the higher end ones do this.

Might be a stupid reason not to get a camera body but it does bother me. A lot.
08-25-2020, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, I am now remembering the other big thing that might have made me hesitate buying the KP - the placement of the strap connectors. The K-r and the K-30 both have slots on the sides (symmetrical) that the strap goes through. Camera hangs nicely on my neck and the strap falls away, out of the way of anything I need.

The KP has asymmetric strap lugs. The one on the left side is in front of the mode dial which might not be a big deal but I still dislike it. The one in the right side is centered and the left, IMO, ought to be the same. I know the K-1 is the same way, apparently the higher end ones do this.

You're not alone!

I've learnt to live with it. Mind you, the K5 was the same.
08-25-2020, 06:54 PM - 3 Likes   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a lot of people don't hang the camera and lens around their necks any more

I have found that a cross body sling positioned over the shoulder and hanging down toward the hip is more comfortable, especially with heavy gear

I use an Optech USA Utility sling which attaches to the upper camera strap lug on one side of the camera

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

others use another type which attaches at the tripod screw point

Joby Ultra Fit Sling Strap reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

there are several styles to choose from
08-25-2020, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have found that a cross body sling positioned over the shoulder and hanging down toward the hip is more comfortable, especially with heavy gear
Absolutely. I have 3 sizes of holster-type camera cases and use both the belt loops and the case-strap across shoulders for both stability and distribution of weight. The camera and lens go into the case with lens pointed down. There are zippered accessory front pouches, which can also accommodate my little DA 15mm LTD lens with a little square of protective bubble wrap. Easy to forget it is there!
08-25-2020, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do have 2 of the Op/Tech Cam Straps (red for the K-r, blue for the K-30) and use those around my wrist for extra piece of mind while carrying the cameras by their battery grips. The strap usually falls to one side, but I do sometimes put it around my neck if I need to organize things. I just don't get why the lugs have to be asymmetrical on the KP.
08-25-2020, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Now you're venturing into the surreal.........or are you playing us?
08-26-2020, 01:26 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Madison, perhaps concentrate your thinking on the photography.

Does the position of the strap lugs really interfere with the camera's ability to take photos? My own gripe with the KP is with regard to the supplied inter-changeable grips. None of them is as comfortable to use as is the built-in grip of the K-5 and K-3 series, and that silly feature has prevented Pentax from being able to fit the high capacity D-Li90 battery into the KP body. I would suggest that these have more relevance to photography than does the position of the strap lugs, though the importance of their effect is still quite small.

However, as Mark has written above, I've learnt to live with and adapt to the KP - by slight adjustments to the way I hold the camera and by carrying a spare charged battery - and I really appreciate the fact that the KP is a more capable photo-taking machine than any APS-C Pentax-Ricoh have previously produced*. It is a great camera!

Philip

* See its dynamic range and noise charts here: https://www.photonstophotos.net

Last edited by MrB1; 08-26-2020 at 01:36 AM.