Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #46
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
So, I am now remembering the other big thing that might have made me hesitate buying the KP - the placement of the strap connectors. The K-r and the K-30 both have slots on the sides (symmetrical) that the strap goes through. Camera hangs nicely on my neck and the strap falls away, out of the way of anything I need.

The KP has asymmetric strap lugs. The one on the left side is in front of the mode dial which might not be a big deal but I still dislike it. The one in the right side is centered and the left, IMO, ought to be the same. I know the K-1 is the same way, apparently the higher end ones do this.

Might be a stupid reason not to get a camera body but it does bother me. A lot.
Without a strap on it does dangle down annoyingly but with a strap on it moves out the way as you grip the camera. You also adapt, I grip the KP from the bottom up not from the top down.

08-26-2020, 07:01 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's pretty funny, ergonomics has long been a strength of Pentax cameras - and often touted by users - but when someone criticizes the ergonomics of a specific model, that person is essentially told to "get over it".

Given how most cameras deliver terrific image quality and fine performance, one's comfort level when using their gear is a big deal, IMO.
08-26-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

I just don't get why the lugs have to be asymmetrical on the KP.
Not a new concept by any means. It is so on the K-5 series also, and might turn out to be on the K-new as well. Reason? There is no room on the top plate for the type of strap attachment of your K-r and the K-S2 which I have, due to the additional controls, etc of the more advanced cameras. So the attachment device must be side-mounted yet not stick out too far or interfere with holding. The asymmetrical design is to reduce additional camera width created by these strap mounts. This reduced width is important for ease of fitting the camera into a smaller carrying space.

I've been using belt-loop and shoulder strap holster-type carrying cases for a long time. So much more comfortable and easy to use than having something swinging around my neck. Not a good idea on a bicycle either. Actually, I have not even put a strap on any of my cameras in many years. I just (with care, of course) draw the camera out of the case, do my shooting, then slide it back into the case.

When I first began using this method, I used to have a strap on the camera as well for extra security just on a temporary basis while I had the camera out of the case.

---------- Post added 08-26-20 at 01:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
A few people have mentioned the KP not being as comfortable to hold with larger lenses but I've adapted quite quickly to holding it with my largest lens the Tamron 70-200. Initially it did feel clumsier with that lens but because the KP has 'dropped shoulders' in comparison to the K5, say, I found my palm just cupping under the camera more, in fact I didn't really discern any difficulty using it for an hour or so the other day. I've still got the large grip on because that felt more natural coming from the K5 but I shall probably move to the medium grip soon.
Yep, I agree. The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is a large, quite heavy lens. Camera designs vary, and the designers are photographers too. They know what they are doing. One simply needs to figure out what they had in mind in the way of holding technique with that design, and once an adaptive change is made, it will be fine. I can easily work with a sizable lens like that just using the largest grip, but for me it is indeed better-balanced and handles better using the battery grip when just holding while not shooting.

For a very long time, there were many posts here on the forum from people lamenting Pentax had not considered making a DSLR designed like the old classic film bodies, more compact. So now they have done it, and others who perhaps did not come with experience using these classic designs, and have become more right-hand bulky-grip dependent, complain about this type of design in the KP. Pentax has tried to please everyone in some measure with interchangeable grips, and also the availability of the battery grip, which adds a lot of gripping surface. .

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.
08-26-2020, 06:59 PM - 4 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Now you're venturing into the surreal.........or are you playing us?
No, not really. I know this forum is populated by serious Pentaxians and is filled with technical discussions of photography and equipment and IQ and goes into minute detail about all sorts of topics, and that is great and I learn from these forums, but I started out with a Ricoh K R-5, then graduated to a Pentax ME-Super with a 50mm 1.4 I spent a year or more of part time jobs saving up for.

When dSLRs became more ubiquitous and developing 35mm was harder and harder to find locally, I knew I wanted something I could use my 3 K-mount lenses with. I bought the K-r not because it was in my price range, or because it had done lots of research on the features: I bought it because it was red. That's it. It was red. Who has a red camera? Who had heard of such a thing? I hadn't.

Later I bought the K-30 because it was blue. I had no idea about the aperture block issue. It was of no importance to me. I had a blue camera to hang near my red camera. And the best thing? They both used the same battery.

If the KP had come out in orange or yellow or purple or stripes, this thread would not exist. I would have it now. And it would also use the same battery. And I would learn to live with the asymmetric lugs.

Last thing: I bought a used K-01 on eBay. It was NOT the yellow one. I tried to get used to the no viewfinder thing. I had a hard time not sticking my eye up to the back of the camera anyway. I finally sold it. If it had been yellow I might still have it.

So, no, not playing anyone here. I am the definition of a "casual" photographer. If my first camera had not had a K mount then who knows what forum I'd be on.

---------- Post added 08-26-20 at 21:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's pretty funny, ergonomics has long been a strength of Pentax cameras - and often touted by users - but when someone criticizes the ergonomics of a specific model, that person is essentially told to "get over it".

Given how most cameras deliver terrific image quality and fine performance, one's comfort level when using their gear is a big deal, IMO.
Thank you. I do understand that there is a specific reason the lugs are where they are on the higher end cameras, and the KP is definitely higher end than my K-r and K-30. I also really don't put the strap around my neck often (and could even remove it entirely, since I have the wrist straps) but I like my straps and I like how they look. The one for the K-r is the original one I got for my first camera, a Ricoh K R - 5. It has sentimental value for me, even if it is beaten up and sometimes I have to coil it up to get it out of the way. The one for the K-30 was custom made and was designed to be 11 inches shorter than the K-r one so when hanging from one hook both cameras would lay flat against the wall, the K-30 a half-inch above the K-r.

And I'm female so I can get away with saying this: if any of you have wives/girlfriends/mothers who spend HOURS picking out purses that look EXACTLY THE SAME to you (and which all serve the same purpose, putting junk into them) and you are wise enough to just keep quiet when they do so, then consider that the look and feel of a camera can also be just as important as the purpose (taking pictures).

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 08-26-2020 at 07:56 PM.
08-26-2020, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I am the definition of a "casual" photographer. . . . .

if your goal is to have fun and enjoy your photography and gear

you belong here - don't ever doubt it

there are some of us who are very talented photographers

some who have great gear

some who try to have fun with their photography and posts and threads

trust me I know

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.
08-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
madison_wi_gal

if your goal is to have fun and enjoy your photography and gear

you belong here - don't ever doubt it

there are some of us who are very talented photographers

some who have great gear

some who try to have fun with their photography and posts and threads

trust me I know
I think I am in the last group. I love my colorful cameras and my lenses, and when things get better in the world I'll venture out again and take some nice pictures that make me happy. And my $800 is not really burning a hole in my pocket, and I could do what a friend says and just get a better TV, but I have a TV and it is fine.
08-27-2020, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #52
Closed Account

You deffo want the ltd edition one then. The dark blue is gorgeous, only available in Japan 2nd hand that I've seen on eBay.

08-27-2020, 05:59 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
You deffo want the ltd edition one then. The dark blue is gorgeous, only available in Japan 2nd hand that I've seen on eBay.
Yes that is the one I was looking at, the reddish wood one was not making my heart thump.
08-27-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

I understand about looks and the appeal that can bring, though I'm not personally into carrying a rainbow effect in my equipment, just maybe shooting a rainbow effect with my equipment- lol. But for me, the extra-fine silver/black finish design shows a level of jewel-like class, and smart looks. It seems to reflect also that someone has taken extra pride in designing and making this product, though the black finish of Pentax metal-bodied models looks exceptionally good too, it is just not as distinctive since black cameras are everywhere.

---------- Post added 08-27-20 at 02:54 PM ----------

but I like my straps and I like how they look
Just to clue you in, the shoulder straps of my belt-loop holster type camera cases are removable, so you could then replace the supplied strap with another of a different color and width.
08-27-2020, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a "casual" photographer, I could not recommend the KP highly enough. I have taken mine all over the world and shot in some pretty severe environments, and it just keeps returning great images.

Compared to what we know about the K-new, the KP is smaller and lighter, and it has interchangeable grips and a hinged rear LCD. I'm guessing burst speed and buffer depth are not huge priorities for you.

There can be little doubt that the K-new will be *much* more expensive - I would guess somewhere near double the $800 you have saved.

As for the neck strap lugs, like many others I would suggest getting a third party shoulder sling. I have a couple of options which use the tripod thread, and both work very well.
08-28-2020, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think between the K-new and KP, the KP would probably be a better fit for you. The K-new is going to be bigger, have dual card slots, really fast frame rates, no flippy screen, but better viewfinder. It doesn't sound like those things would really be good points from your standpoint and considering the K-new will be about a thousand dollars more than a KP, I think if you are interested in a new camera, the KP would be the right one between those two.
08-28-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #57
Unregistered User

... I bought the K-r not because it was in my price range, or because it had done lots of research on the features: I bought it because it was red. That's it. It was red. Who has a red camera? Who had heard of such a thing? I hadn't.

Later I bought the K-30 because it was blue. ...

If the KP had come out in orange or yellow or purple or stripes, this thread would not exist. I would have it now. ...
I don't say this with any minimizing intent, but you might like to consider something like the Fujifilm XP140, a link to a review of which is below. It comes in all sorts of fantastic colors, is practically indestructible and takes great pictures. Granted, it's "only" a fixed-lens snapshot camera, but if you're just taking pictures for fun, all that counts is taking the pictures.

https://www.cameralabs.com/fujifilm-finepix-xp140-review/
08-28-2020, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I don't say this with any minimizing intent, but you might like to consider something like the Fujifilm XP140, a link to a review of which is below. It comes in all sorts of fantastic colors, is practically indestructible and takes great pictures. Granted, it's "only" a fixed-lens snapshot camera, but if you're just taking pictures for fun, all that counts is taking the pictures.

Fujifilm XP140 review - | Cameralabs
Perhaps good advice for some "casual photographers", but in this case, having some really great lenses, like Limiteds especially suited for the KP's design, would be a travesty just keeping them on a K-r or K-30. The KP would bring so much more out of these lenses, and a great match, design-wise and quality-wise.

To the OP: You are most likely like many of us who like the convenience of highest-quality JPEG images right out of the camera rather than shooting RAW images and going to post processing for editing. If you should get the KP, I can tell you its in-camera processing engine is exceptional, better than other very good Pentax models I have used. Just be sure not to use the camera with the mode dial set to the green auto mode. That will have the camera setting many different programs according to what it "thinks" you may want, and it disables controls and otherwise-available adjustments. For fully automatic exposure with the camera setting both aperture and shutter speed, have the mode dial set on the "P" Program mode. Then various controls and adjustments will still be available.

Then, be sure to remember this- go into the Custom Image menus and set up "Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. You access this via the "info" button then the 4 buttons around the ok button will serve to navigate. It is easy- any problem doing it, just give a shout. Although the K-r and K-30 are capable cameras and can take "good pictures", the superior imaging the KP can deliver, especially with the lenses you have, will be noticeable.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-28-2020 at 08:24 PM.
08-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

Fujifilm XP140 review - | Cameralabs
OK, noted, thanks for the tip.

---------- Post added 08-28-20 at 22:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Perhaps good advice for some "casual photographers", but in this case, having some really great lenses, like Limiteds especially suited for the KP's design, would be a travesty just keeping them on a K-r or K-30. The KP would bring so much more out of these lenses, and a great match, design-wise and quality-wise.

To the OP: You are most likely like many of us who like the convenience of highest-quality JPEG images right out of the camera rather than shooting RAW images and going to post processing for editing. If you should get the KP, I can tell you its in-camera processing engine is exceptional, better than other very good Pentax models I have used. Just be sure not to use the camera with the mode dial set to the green auto mode. That will have the camera setting many different programs according to what it "thinks" you may want, and it disables controls and otherwise-available adjustments. For fully automatic exposure with the camera setting both aperture and shutter speed, have the mode dial set on the "P" Program mode. Then various controls and adjustments will still be available.

Then, be sure to remember this- go into the Custom Image menus and set up "Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. You access this via the "info" button then the 4 buttons around the ok button will serve to navigate. It is easy- any problem doing it, just give a shout. Although the K-r and K-30 are capable cameras and can take "good pictures", the superior imaging the KP can deliver, especially with the lenses you have, will be noticeable.
Thanks, this is what I have been considering. I've got 11 lenses, and the majority of them would benefit from a much better camera body, as much as I love my K-r and K-30.
08-31-2020, 12:15 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the strap issue, my k3 only has one lug in use, the right side one. I use a lightweight security strap with metal threads inside it that I bought when I was headed to Europe on a trip with a tiny lx7 Panasonic. I find using a strap like that around my wrist allows me to change lenses easier than a more grippy wrist strap. (Similar to this, but slightly different with a more secure end: amazon.com: Pacsafe Carrysafe 25i Anti-Theft Camera and Tablet Wrist Strap: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&)