Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

IGP vs IMGP file name format

Hello
I own a K100D.
When I first got it I was shooting jpeg with with the color space set to Adobe 1998. Not a good idea.
When I figured it out I switch ed the colorspace back to sRGB.
I noticed that some of my filenames start with _IGP and some IMGP.
I believe that the _IGP are the files shot in adobe 1998 and IMGP are teh ones shot in sRGB
anyone know?
ideas?
Thanks

08-24-2020, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, that is correct.
08-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There's something in the "Digital Camera Utility" software, "Working Color Management ", that does things with Adobe RGB and sRGB.
No idea if it's of any use to you, but if you've got the software it might be worthwhile having a look, else a search on the web for converting colour profiles might prove beneficial
08-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by murphysf Quote
I noticed that some of my filenames start with _IGP and some IMGP.
The leading underscore indicates other than sRGB colorspace. This is per the DCF file system rules that most Japanese camera companies abide by.

Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia

Steve

08-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
There's something in the "Digital Camera Utility" software, "Working Color Management ", that does things with Adobe RGB and sRGB.
If the image has been captured in jpeg with a AdobeRGB colour space there is no changing that. although the image can be converted to a different space (sRGB).

I do not use the Pentax software but I imagine that setting is only relevant when working with raw files, and when you also use a wide gamut monitor.. Same as Photoshop.
08-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by murphysf Quote
When I first got it I was shooting jpeg with with the color space set to Adobe 1998. Not a good idea.
Depending on what your intended file output is Adobe RGB is superior when it comes to post-processing. It is better to work with a larger gamut and reduce it, as there is nothing to be gained by changing a smaller colour space to a larger one*.

* at least without messy interpolation.