Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Replacing Pentax K2000 LCD screen

I picked up a K2000 for $25 and after updating the ROM to 1.11 and putting some Eneloop Pro batteries in it, it seems to be work fine with one exception. The LCD screen has some black lines along the left edge. The pictures are fine just the LCD is damaged. Well I assume it's the LCD anyway...hopefully not the main board graphic controller.
Anyway...in 100% working condition with the 18-55 this camera might be worth $100-$125. As it is, I'd be luck to get $40.
What are my options...find another $25 parts body and hope the screen is good? , wait for the part to appear on eBay someday?, sell the lens and the white solonoid in it?

What other cameras might I get a screen that fits? Obviously the K-m, but how about the K-x? Or earlier bodies like the istD?

08-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi tonizoc

How come you want to replace it, does not damage the images? A simple protective film, or is there a particular reason?

Mario
08-24-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, that is the kind of work I don't think it's worth doing - you have a high chance of ending up with a paperweight...
08-24-2020, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agree with the responses so far .. It is an old camera and has little residual value. If a cheap fix works then great, but tbh why bother. Wont affect the images. I use the rear screen mainly to check the histogram.

08-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Tony

Could you take a photo of the rear screen while it is viewing a scene to see the problem ?

Dave
08-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Agree with the responses so far .. It is an old camera and has little residual value. If a cheap fix works then great, but tbh why bother. Wont affect the images. I use the rear screen mainly to check the histogram.
Same here.

Just looked at some images someone posted in the CCD Club from a K-m/K2000 - it seems to have the same great clarity that I get from my K200D, so the sensor must be identical. I'm sure someone will take it off your hands if you don't want it anymore
08-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tony

Could you take a photo of the rear screen while it is viewing a scene to see the problem ?

Dave
I attached an image in my initial post

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 03:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Honestly, that is the kind of work I don't think it's worth doing - you have a high chance of ending up with a paperweight...
Yes...it should be an easy repair though...if I could geta$12 part. When I bought this I had spoken to the seller so I had a hunch the issue was bad batteries and ROM 1.0. so I figured I could roll it over for $100 profit... At the worst I had a parts body for my K2000. I know it's old, but so is the K10d and it has the same CCD sensor. My main reason for fixing is just because...

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Same here.

Just looked at some images someone posted in the CCD Club from a K-m/K2000 - it seems to have the same great clarity that I get from my K200D, so the sensor must be identical. I'm sure someone will take it off your hands if you don't want it anymore
I'll keep you in mind... Yes it's the same 10.2 CCD in the K10d. What a great little camera Pentax put out in 2008...smallest digital SLR with a great sensor and most of the features you could want for under $500 with a lens. It's the closest think to a K1000 in digital.

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi tonizoc

How come you want to replace it, does not damage the images? A simple protective film, or is there a particular reason?

Mario
Just because I'd like the camera to be 100%...it's a minor flaw and I wish I could correct it... Call it OCD
08-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Tony

You did through a window I was refering to the screen on the camera, to see what you see .

Dave

08-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Yes...it should be an easy repair though...if I could geta$12 part. When I bought this I had spoken to the seller so I had a hunch the issue was bad batteries and ROM 1.0. so I figured I could roll it over for $100 profit... At the worst I had a parts body for my K2000. I know it's old, but so is the K10d and it has the same CCD sensor. My main reason for fixing is just because...
There are plenty of low cost replacement LCD's available on Ebay from China. I've bought one to repair a damaged Q in the past. Just make sure you get one that includes the backlight to avoid having to recover the old one and reassemble all the layers. There should be a two-way ribbon as well as the main multiway. Something like this:

New LCD Screen Display Part for PENTAX K-X K-M K200 KX KM U7010 Camera Repair | eBay
08-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crossed-up Quote
There are plenty of low cost replacement LCD's available on Ebay from China. I've bought one to repair a damaged Q in the past. Just make sure you get one that includes the backlight to avoid having to recover the old one and reassemble all the layers. There should be a two-way ribbon as well as the main multiway. Something like this:

New LCD Screen Display Part for PENTAX K-X K-M K200 KX KM U7010 Camera Repair | eBay
I can't get that one because the don't ship to my zip code. I found a similar one but it was $21 to ship...like $36 total...more than I want to spend...but I'll keep my eye out. I did find a K-m full back but it was $53...again too much.

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 05:28 PM ----------

Hi Tony

You did through a window I was refering to the screen on the camera, to see what you see .

Dave
No that pic is the back LCD in pic review mode. I zoomed in to put a brighter area on the left edge.
08-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Tony

You only see half of the scene is that correct ?
A picture of nothing but the sky may help
08-25-2020, 04:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Tony

You only see half of the scene is that correct ?
A picture of nothing but the sky may help
I zoomed in on the area that has the problem. The left edge has black lines. The rest of the screen is fine, so this problem really doesn't effect use. It's just 1 minor annoyance which keeps the camera from selling at full value. I paid $25 and I put an 18-55 I had extra in it and wanted to get $100-$125 for it. With this issue that value is cut in half. I'm better off stripping it for parts and selling the white solonoid for $45.

08-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #13
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Tony

I guess you win some and loose some buying and selling.

Dave
08-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi! I would take a chance and disassemble the camera so far that the ribbon cables can be reattached.
Its same body as K-x, easy to take apart and put back together, as im assuming you are up to the job since already considering to change the screen. Could be only a contact issue...
08-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
Hi! I would take a chance and disassemble the camera so far that the ribbon cables can be reattached.

Its same body as K-x, easy to take apart and put back together, as im assuming you are up to the job since already considering to change the screen. Could be only a contact issue...
I had this thought myself... Well I found a K-m screen from China. $20.50 included tax and shipping so not bad. Of course I found one other problem with the camera. In green mode Auto Pict with the flash set to auto, the flash doesn't pop up automatically. Not a big deal as the button work and the flash works. It's not something I've ever used either...might be better without auto pop-up. Hopefully the screen issue is not a problem in the main board but the screen itself.