Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
So the IQ should be just as good as the KP. I believe it is. It has lots of fans
Not necessarily.

I believe the K-70 has a different sensor.

12-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not necessarily.

The KP has an oh-so-slightly higher resolution of 24.1 megapixels, compared with the K-70 at only 24 mp.
That equals a .3% increase. Negligible. Having shot both the images are indistinguishable.
12-08-2020, 12:51 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not necessarily.

Oh, has it? I just assumed as they were a similar vintage. I need aslyfox posting a link to the part of PF where we can compare cameras . All I really know is just how good the KP is
12-08-2020, 12:53 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Not necessarily.

I think IQ differences would be splitting hairs.

12-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Earlier this year my KS-2 developed “aperture block failure” at around 14000 actuations. After considering advice form members on PF I decided not to repair the KS-2, but get a KP. I love the KP and it is the perfect camera for me. HOWEVER, as soon as I stopped using the KS-2, my 13 y/o son commandeered it along with my DA 35mmf2.4 and DA-L 50-200mm lenses!! He is now shooting circles around me and even getting good BIF photos!! He has learned to work around the dark frames which usually occur only when the camera has sat overnight.
It is a worrisome issue and he therefore is saving up his money for a K-70 of which he will have half by his birthday in November, and my wife and I will give him the other half for his present. What is the consensus now for the reliability/durability of the K-70 and its aperture control solenoid?? I would hate for the aperture to fail on this camera like on the KS-2.
Should he chance the K-70 or would it be better to wait until he can get a KP? He is out shooting daily and uses drive mode on birds, so he can accumulate lots of shutter actuations in a day. He is also studying books on photography in general, and bird photography in specific, so he seems pretty serious. My gut wants to go with the KP, but I don’t know if that is too much for a 13 y/o. All opinions, advice, and suggestions will be considered and appreciated. Thank you!

I guess it might do. I have the K-70 for years now. After about 25000 actuations the aperture control failed, ruining my pictures of an afternoon. I had it repaired, which wasn´t too expensive, but I´d rather have saved that money (about 60 dollars). Now I´m well into 50 000 actuations and the K-70 still runs well. No problems so far. And it has a tank build. Dropped it once, and nothing happened to it. I love it.
12-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
I guess it might do. I have the K-70 for years now. After about 25000 actuations the aperture control failed, ruining my pictures of an afternoon. I had it repaired, which wasn´t too expensive, but I´d rather have saved that money (about 60 dollars). Now I´m well into 50 000 actuations and the K-70 still runs well. No problems so far. And it has a tank build. Dropped it once, and nothing happened to it. I love it.
Do you know what caused this issue? What was changed during repair?
12-09-2020, 04:11 AM   #112
Veteran Member

I can´t tell exactly. Of what I know the aperture motor on the left in the housing just stopped levering up and down, so the aperture was constantly closed (on the 18-135mm I shoot on while going on walks). So, I believe they changed the whole levering component, but I really ain´t sure of that.

12-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
I can´t tell exactly. Of what I know the aperture motor on the left in the housing just stopped levering up and down, so the aperture was constantly closed (on the 18-135mm I shoot on while going on walks). So, I believe they changed the whole levering component, but I really ain´t sure of that.
Are there any statistical reports of the number of incidents of the aperture block problem that have occurred in each of the suspected cameras?
12-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Are there any statistical reports of the number of incidents of the aperture block problem that have occurred in each of the suspected cameras?
No. Some people say it is less than we think as the only ones we hear about are ones that have failed. It was reported (and disputed) that the K30/50 figures were as high as 30% but that seems a bit high.
12-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #115
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
We had a survey here, and IIRC, the lower bound was 6 percent, the upper bound 30%, because of the well known phenomenon that people who have a problem are motivated to report it, you don't hear from the majority.

The survey I think was pre-K-70, in which it is thought some minor design changes were made.
12-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We had a survey here, and IIRC, the lower bound was 6 percent, the upper bound 30%, because of the well known phenomenon that people who have a problem are motivated to report it, you don't hear from the majority.

The survey I think was pre-K-70, in which it is thought some minor design changes were made.
That's why I think 30% is way over the actual. 10-15% would be nearer the mark. If it had been as high as 30% the press would have used it as another stick to beat Pentax with and something may have got done
12-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #117
Veteran Member

The replacement solenoid one would want to get is a white one? I think someone in the classified area periodically has these for sale. That’s the one?
12-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #118
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
The replacement solenoid one would want to get is a white one? I think someone in the classified area periodically has these for sale. That’s the one?
Yeah, I did see that ad. A guy in the know has sourced several of them and sells them in the Marketplace.
12-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Thanks. I have to see if he has more and pick one up just in case.
12-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The KP has an oh-so-slightly higher resolution of 24.1 megapixels, compared with the K-70 at only 24 mp.
That equals a .3% increase. Negligible. Having shot both the images are indistinguishable.
The question is not resolution - different sensors create different images.
The K-70 apparently has a sensor with PDAF detection built-in, which users here {when talking about MILC} claim affects the quality of the image.
We do not know how this affects the image, but it may, so we should not conclude anything, such as 'they are probably the same'.
In any case, quality of image is not the focus of this thread.