Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2020, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #46
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
. . . . PentaxForums would come up in the first 1-3 hits on Google, I am sure. The unlucky folk voice their issue on the forum and posts slowly stack up over time to the point where it may look like every K-50 ever sold is going to go black... But when scaled to the rest of the many, many units that have been sold, I believe it is not as prevalent as looking through the PentaxForums lens would have one believe. . . .
considering the problem I had with my D FA 150-450mm zoom falling apart and how some posters have reacted to the reports of a few others with similar problems -

I have to agree

the problems with Pentax products may " . . . have been greatly exaggerated. " when compared to the number sold

08-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two Pentax K-50s with aperture block failure. Both had relatively low shutter counts when they failed. So, all I can do is share my experience and perspective on Pentax and the green solenoid, and that would be that I wouldn't buy another Pentax with a green solenoid -- period. My thinking is that if you're in your back yard photographing a snail and that camera starts giving you black frames, you go inside and get a lens with an aperture ring and go back outside and continuing shooting the snail. Without such a lens, you're still likely to find another snail at a later date, so it's no big deal. On the other hand, if you're at a once-in-a-lifetime event (wedding, grandma's 75th birthday, child's graduation, etc.), you're screwed. Even if the risk is low with a K-70, failures have happened. Why risk it, buy anything but a K-70. As I said, this is just my perspective. If someone thinks differently, that's fine too.

I have a K-3 II, so I don't miss the K-50. Of a side note, I wanted a camera with a tilting/flipping screen for some low angle shooting, but couldn't bring myself to buy a used K-S2 or K-70 because of the solenoid issue, so I bought into micro 4/3s to satisfy that want.
08-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not just this place.
The hot spots are here and the German forum.

Steve
08-29-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The unlucky folk voice their issue on the forum and posts slowly stack up over time to the point where it may look like every K-50 ever sold is going to go black...
Likewise, the perceived incidence for the K-70 becomes skewed as well since every request for purchase guidance here results in posts (mostly from K-70 non-owners) regarding a presumed high risk based on assumptions regarding defective components.

FWIW, I have a close friend whose late 2013 K-50 was repaired under warranty in 2015 for aperture and mirror control issues. The repair statement included the aperture control block, which might have been a green solenoid (presumed defective) factory part. Strangely, the camera is still functioning nicely despite infrequent use. Some may note that I often bring up that camera when commenting on threads where the K-30/K-50 problems are discussed. I figure fair enough to mention that absence of reported reliability is not the same as prevalence of problem.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-29-2020 at 01:59 PM.
08-29-2020, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have no experience with either the K S2 or the K 70
I too will confess to being a non-owner, though I have handled both and did curate reported K-70 aperture failure for several years until doing so became tedious due to very few reports.

Steve
08-29-2020, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This reminds me of the Porsche Boxster for two reasons.

Firstly, why get a Boxster when for "a little bit more" you can get a 911 and that is the real deal. A classic Porsche with the engine in the back, where it has been since time immemorial. If you can't stretch that far, get a used 911. Everywhere you go with that Boxster, people will ask why you don't have the 911.

Secondly, the Boxster is/was infamous for intermediate shaft bearing failures. The resulting carnage meant a new engine. Lucky owners got new engines under warranty, with the same design flaw. Unlucky ones had to pay up. The proper fix was an aftermarket bearing, fitted before the factory fitted one failed. Porsche ignored the problem for a long time, before redesigning the engine. It all started as a cost cutting exercise, but reality caught up with them. Somewhere along the line, a class action lawsuit happened. It's hard to know just how prevalent the problem was, since numbers are hard to come by.
08-30-2020, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
We all choose as we do because it's what we like. I've never understood why a guy would want a black truck in Florida, but damn do they. They love 'em here. For me anything but.

MikesBike and I are perfect examples of owning both the K70 and KP but making different APS-C choices for very valid reasons, good reasons that matter to us. Even if the K70 and KP had been the same price I still would have made the same choice just as Mike would have. In my case it had nothing to do with price, it was mostly about the ergonomics. I bought the KP for the specs. Seemed like the logical choice and I was excited to get it. For me it wasn't the right choice. Like a black truck in Florida.

So to answer the OP's original question in the thread title: Yes it is.

My opinion remains, not that it matters since it's his child: Let the OP's son chime in on which camera, KS2 or KP, feels better to him and does what he wants the way he wants. Sometimes all you want is an ergonomically simple ice cream cone, maybe 2 scoops and dipped, and not the bowl full with sprinkles, marshmallow, caramel sauce, and a cherry even if the bowl has better specs
I have the K-S2, not a K-70, and the reason I got it was for practical carrying when I need a more lightweight body- I already was using a K-5 IIs (much better build and control layout, but bigger and heavier) as my main camera. For my lightweight model, I had the K-r for numerous years, then the K-S2 turned up as a left-over closeout bargain from B&H after the K-70 came, so I could not resist replacing my K-r with a far more advanced but still lightweight body. I got it at a price substantially lower than I had paid for the K-r years before! Of course, I kept shooting with my K-5 IIs as my primary camera. When the KP came, I was very interested. Here was a more compact body yet having a top-quality build and with reports of superior low noise at higher ISO settings. I do a fair amount of low light shooting. I was ready to pounce when eventually price deals came along. The imaging quality has been beyond expectations, on top of the beautiful build and the efficiency of the new controls. In many ways the KP has been a very pleasant surprise for me.

---------- Post added 08-30-20 at 12:57 AM ----------

If the aperture block problem never was - would you still recommend the KP over the K-70?
They have near the same feature set..
Its kind of like saying the K-70 has about the same feature set as the K-3 or K-3 II if trading the 2 card slots for the articulating screen. And yes, I definitely would recommend the KP over the K-70 without the aperture control weakness in the picture. The build quality, superior controls, and availability of the battery grip alone would do it. On this same issue in another thread someone posted a list of additional features afforded by the KP over the K-70. I recall it has more advanced metering, a new processor, and also the autofocus is better. For only another $200? For me it would be a slam dunk for the KP.

Not only am I very familiar with the right hand grip difference, so is the OP and family! This grip thing keeps coming up here, even though the OP and family already have a KP and a K-S2!! What if I posted a thread, that I have a K-S2, and a KP, along with my K-5 IIs, and I am thinking about getting another KP- would I keep getting advice that I should consider the K-70 because of its grip difference???

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-30-2020 at 01:37 AM.
08-30-2020, 01:44 AM   #53
Pentaxian

To me, at the original prices, it would have been a no brainer with the KP vs the K70 because the price increase greatly outweighed a solenoid repair anyways. Now with the gap substantially closed I think the KP is a wonderful camera and one that'll last an incredibly long amount of time.

If money really isn't a problem I'd highly recommend it. However there are many many happy K70 customers so I wouldn't necessarily get too spooked on it, if it was what I could afford at the time you better believe I would have bought it.
08-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Edit, duplicate

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-30-2020 at 04:49 AM.
08-30-2020, 04:29 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

edit, duplicate

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-30-2020 at 04:49 AM.
08-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
What if I posted a thread, that I have a K-S2, and a KP, along with my K-5 IIs, and I am thinking about getting another KP- would I keep getting advice that I should consider the K-70 because of its grip difference???

Mikesbike, look at the thread title. The OP was specifically asking about the K-70.

Yes the OP already has a KP yet was asking whether the K-70 would be a good choice for his son, a reliable improvement over their KS2. Obviously the KP was not the no-brainer choice despite his familiarity with it. Perhaps he's on a budget like a lot of us and would rather spend the $200 difference on a surprise lens for him. Perhaps it's something else. It's not something any of us should be taking personally or getting upset over. We're all family.

You're right, the KP is a great camera and may seem to you like the logical choice, but not for everyone. Either camera is a great Pentax representative, and his son may well become a loyal Pentaxian using either one. Personally I think it's highly encouraging that he recognizes the value and art of an SLR at his age, while most around him are making do with a tiny sensor on a smartphone, and he's joining in on a hobby he and his Dad can grow closer with.

By the way, sorry for erroneously thinking you were familiar with the K-70 and bringing your name up. I've confused you with someone else here who has owned both.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-30-2020 at 04:42 AM.
08-30-2020, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While waiting for the K-new, and waiting, and waiting I bought a K-70. At that time the KP was substantially more expensive. My thinking being pay a lot less now and use the savings for the K-new when it finally hits the shelves. Not long after I bought the K-70 some great package deals on the K1 mark II hit the market. Will most likely pass on the K-new. Love my K-70 and use it almost as much as my K-1. I also occasionally still use my first DSLR. The K-50. Works just fine.
08-31-2020, 03:45 PM - 5 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alright!! Sorry for the radio silence, but I purposefully limit my time on the computer. It is an addicting habit, unlike photography!! Thank you to all who have replied. I will be processing all of your advice while trying to maintain perspective in order to make a decision I will be OK with. To be brief, I could not get my son to warm up to the idea of a K-3. It was just too big for him, plus it doesn't have the modern accoutrements that the KS-2, K 70 , and KP have. When I asked him if he liked the ergonomics of the KP or KS-2 better he immediately said he liked the KS-2 better. Ultimately, it will be his decision on what he wants with a little guidance from me.
08-31-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
. . . Ultimately, it will be his decision on what he wants . . . .
what

a good idea

good luck
08-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what

a good idea

good luck
Smart Kid!!