Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #1

problem with my K60

I just bought a "used but in excellent condition" Pentax K60. With a fully charged battery, properly inserted SD card, and using a Pentax lens, I cannot get the shutter to work. When I press the shutter, the camera either powers off, or simply does nothing. I have a K01 that I've used for several years, so I'm very familiar with this style of camera. Any advice?

08-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K60? Typo? Whatever it is, that's not normal and I would suggest that you, first, try it with a different battery and if you get the same result, return it.
08-27-2020, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found a recently completed sale for a "K60" on the big auction site, and it is in fact a K-50. I'm guessing the OP is the buyer.
08-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks like it's broken and you should ask for your money back...

08-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If he has focus priority on autofocus that might explain shutter not working if he hasn't focused, or is using a manual lens and not set the camera accordingly??

I wonder if he has a K30, K50, or K70????

Or maybe it is a fake pentax, and the fake "makers" didn't do their homework on Pentax model nos??
08-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
yeah, it's a K-50. My fat fingers hit the wrong button. Thanks for the replies. Already talked with the seller, they'll take it back. I've tried everything, been a Pentax user since 1981. My favorite was and still is the ME Super. Still have it on the shelf. And I guess I'm one of the few that likes the K-01. It's heavy, and hard to hold sometimes, but I still took some great shots with it over the years. But it's shutter also went out. From what I've read, that's a typical problem.

This k50 I'm sure is a good camera, when it works.

Thanks again for all your help!
08-30-2020, 01:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by charliek Quote
And I guess I'm one of the few that likes the K-01.
Nah the K-01 has a nice lil following (myself included). I'd recommend looking into something like a used K-5 IIs or an original K-3 in your budget. Great hardy cameras with wonderful image quality.

Alternatively I'd look at a KS-2, but it can have potential solenoid problems (even if it is at a much smaller rate than the k30 and k50).
But the KS-2 would be the most similar camera to the K-01 with a bit of a better grip and an added optical viewfinder!