Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
Hyper program doesnt really give you total control.... Hyper program is more like green mode +
you can only change the Tv and Av when you shift only by a few steps.
I don't understand what you are talking about. HyperProgram does give you total control. Turning the Av wheel would make it behave exactly like Av mode; turning the Tv dial would make it behave exactly like Tv mode. I don't get what you mean "only by a few steps" - you can shift as much as you want, as long as it is within the metering range. (Do note that you can change the dial to adjust Av/Tv or to do Program shift in the custom menu)

Basically, HyperProgram is like 3 modes in one. You can shift seamlessly between Av - Tv - Program back and forth without touching the mode dials.

And I think the key difference between HyperProgram and Av/Tv modes is what the other dial was programmed to do in the latter. In Av/Tv, you can use the other dial to change ISO or Exp Compensation.

03-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I don't understand what you are talking about. HyperProgram does give you total control. Turning the Av wheel would make it behave exactly like Av mode; turning the Tv dial would make it behave exactly like Tv mode. I don't get what you mean "only by a few steps" - you can shift as much as you want, as long as it is within the metering range. (Do note that you can change the dial to adjust Av/Tv or to do Program shift in the custom menu)

Basically, HyperProgram is like 3 modes in one. You can shift seamlessly between Av - Tv - Program back and forth without touching the mode dials.

And I think the key difference between HyperProgram and Av/Tv modes is what the other dial was programmed to do in the latter. In Av/Tv, you can use the other dial to change ISO or Exp Compensation.
you just said it right there "within metering range"
I shouldve been in depth or explained myself more.

In any case, it felt a little too restricting at times, so I tend to just fall out of it and move into Manual. I still use it, but not as much as I thought i'd be using it.

It is a great mode though...
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
... HyperProgram does give you total control. Turning the Av wheel would make it behave exactly like Av mode; turning the Tv dial would make it behave exactly like Tv mode. I don't get what you mean "only by a few steps" - you can shift as much as you want, as long as it is within the metering range. (Do note that you can change the dial to adjust Av/Tv or to do Program shift in the custom menu)

I wondered what JoN was talking about too and took another look, and I think I see his point.

In P (hyperprogram mode), the camera really wants to restrict me to a combination of aperture and shutter that allows for an acceptable exposure. Just now, I put the camera into P mode and pointed it at a darkish area of my living room. I was able to get the aperture stopped down to f/11 - and then it would go no further. When I pointed the camera directly at a lamp, however, I could stop down to f/16 or even f/22. But I had to point the camera at that lamp in order to get it to let me go past f/11 initially.

In Av mode, on the other hand, once I hit f/11, I had no trouble keeping going. Of course, the settings screen on the top of the camera started blinking wildly at me, as if to say, "Help, danger! This does not compute." But I was able to set the aperture to whatever I wanted.

That said, P on the K10D still looks like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Will

P.S. I see that JoN replied while I was writing the response above....
03-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

"I bought the K10D four days ago. I am now asking questions trying to understand what I've got better."

u are supposed to know that before u buy the bl-ody thing Will.. he he he.. about as much self control as my pet goldfish.. he he he

i love it...

trog

03-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on purchasing the new camera! Enjoy it!