Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
K10D shooting modes

I'd like to see if I've got this straight. On the K10D,

- (Green) mode is more or less the same as Auto Pict on the K100D, that is, point and shoot, camera does all the thinking.

- P ("hyper program"?) mode is also a fairly automatic mode where the camera ensures that you'll get a good exposure, except that on the K10D, you can actually change the aperture OR the shutter speed in P mode and when you adjust one, the camera will adjust the other. I think in P mode on the K100D, you can't change the aperture or the shutter - although you can change the ISO, use exposure adjustment, etc.

- M ("hyper manual"?) mode is fully manual - camera will let you take a photo that it thinks is terribly exposed - although you can ask the camera to start you off with a correct exposure by clicking the small round green button near the shutter button.

Is that about right? If so, I'm wondering why anybody would ever use Av or Tv modes, given that P on the K10D seems to give you the same control but greater flexibility. What am I missing? Oh, and would it be a bad sin if I decided to shoot much of the time in P mode on the K10D?

Will

P.S. Some of you may be wondering about something not pertinent to this thread. Don't ask. I don't want to talk about it. ;-)

03-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 296
You've given in to p***s envy and knocked off one of the zeros of the K100 D ???
03-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 668
OK - in hyper manual, like you said you can adjust either shutter speed or aperture. BUT you can press the green button (near the shutter release) and it reacquires what it would do, and you can adjust again from there.

In manual mode, on the top LCD or in the viewfinder, an EV (exposure) prediction meter comes up. If the markings appear on the right of the middle, it will be overexposed, to the left, underexposed, based on the light it sees.
03-07-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Is that about right? If so, I'm wondering why anybody would ever use Av or Tv modes, given that P on the K10D seems to give you the same control but greater flexibility. What am I missing?
I usually use Av, with the aperture on the rear wheel, and ISO on the front wheel. I'm pretty used to hitting the EV button to set compensation. The key difference is that P mode may change the aperture on you as the light changes. If you don't feel a need for a precise setting there, or don't mind resetting it back, you'll be fine in P mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Oh, and would it be a bad sin if I decided to shoot much of the time in P mode on the K10D?
Considering that the K10D offers four 'Program Lines' to enhance the P mode shooting experience, at least Pentax expects people to use it. It's more about what works for you and the situation.

03-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,361
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I'd like to see if I've got this straight. On the K10D,

- (Green) mode is more or less the same as Auto Pict on the K100D, that is, point and shoot, camera does all the thinking.

- P ("hyper program"?) mode is also a fairly automatic mode where the camera ensures that you'll get a good exposure, except that on the K10D, you can actually change the aperture OR the shutter speed in P mode and when you adjust one, the camera will adjust the other. I think in P mode on the K100D, you can't change the aperture or the shutter - although you can change the ISO, use exposure adjustment, etc.

- M ("hyper manual"?) mode is fully manual - camera will let you take a photo that it thinks is terribly exposed - although you can ask the camera to start you off with a correct exposure by clicking the small round green button near the shutter button.

Is that about right? If so, I'm wondering why anybody would ever use Av or Tv modes, given that P on the K10D seems to give you the same control but greater flexibility. What am I missing? Oh, and would it be a bad sin if I decided to shoot much of the time in P mode on the K10D?

Will

P.S. Some of you may be wondering about something not pertinent to this thread. Don't ask. I don't want to talk about it. ;-)
You also, within the modes need to consider the functionality of AUTO ISO.

Note the following:

User mode can be set to anything you want, and can have even different white balance than the other modes.

Sv mode modifies shutter and apature to get the best overall with a fixed sensitivity

Tv and Av modes function differently when auto ISO is selected

Manual mode, does not support Auto ISO, and as a result you can have up to 4 different ISO settings on the camera at one time, assuming you have set the program modes to Auto ISO, you can have a different ISO in manual, Sv mode and User mode.

I think the real use of the different modes, assuming you have taken the time to map out all the functions is to give as many "preset" customized functions as possible, although I would prefer that you could set each one, including white balance separately.

Unfortunately the manual does not really spell out all the interactions and what you can set independantly on each setting.
03-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Senior Member
atnbirdie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 121
The reason I use Av or Tv is because it gives control over a specific situation while still letting camera assist in getting proper exposure. I use Av when I want to have full control of the depth of field. I use Tv when I want have some action going on that I want to control. In both these types of situations, I control the key factor and the camera does the rest. It's just a little quicker than M mode as Auto ISO is functioning so proper exposure is more quickly achieved then with me doing it manually.
SB
03-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
Do you labor this much over every consumer goods purchase?

I bet it's a real hoot watching you buy a car. In and out and in and out, questions and more questions followed by even more questions. Makes me almost feel for the poor salesmen. That's gotta be a Kodak Moment!

Will, the K10 is a camera. You don't need to feed it. You don't need to bathe it. You don't need to walk it like the dog. It doesn't do dishes, or watch too much TV or smoke & drink. You probably shouldn't sleep with it and when you do use it, you don't need to make small talk with it afterwards.

If you want it, buy it! It's that simple.
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atnbirdie Quote
The reason I use Av or Tv is because it gives control over a specific situation while still letting camera assist in getting proper exposure. I use Av when I want to have full control of the depth of field. I use Tv when I want have some action going on that I want to control. In both these types of situations, I control the key factor and the camera does the rest. It's just a little quicker than M mode as Auto ISO is functioning so proper exposure is more quickly achieved then with me doing it manually.
SB
But I wasn't comparing Av or Tv to M - I was comparing them to P on the K10D. Shooting in P mode on the K10D allows you to give priority to shutter or aperture as you like, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO SWITCH DIALS to do it. (I keep saying "K10D" because of course P on the K100D is quite different)

Will

03-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Senior Member
button's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 241
John, have you typed a single positive reply to anyone on this forum? And no, I'm not going to bother reading any of your more remote posts, given the consistent animosity in the tone of your most recent ones. Your sarcasm drips with such venom that I have to wonder if you're joking.
03-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
Hyper program doesnt really give you total control. I used it for about a month after I got the body, but promptly went back to manual and or Tv/Av, depending on situation.

For myself, it all depends on what i'm shooting, where i'm shooting, and how i want to shoot it (also how i feel at the moment of the shoot)
Hyper program is more like green mode +
you can only change the Tv and Av when you shift only by a few steps.
03-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
But I wasn't comparing Av or Tv to M - I was comparing them to P on the K10D. Shooting in P mode on the K10D allows you to give priority to shutter or aperture as you like, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO SWITCH DIALS to do it. (I keep saying "K10D" because of course P on the K100D is quite different)
1. In Av and Tv mode you can assign ISO to front dial and then ISO is constantly displayed in status LCD display. I like that very much.
2. P mode has bug with Auto ISO. When you give priority to shutter, it will not increase ISO.
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
Seriously tempted to offer something like: "Provide copious osculation to my hirsute posterier exterior, in reply, but seriously...

Will has several K10 posts, all aimed at acquiring more and more information. In his last, next to this, he suggested that he was holding off on his K10 purchase until after a vacation trip. But 3-5 days later he is back. Short trip?

By now he knows more about the K10 than the chief engineer on the project. There comes a point where further questions are just excuses to procrastinate-I think Will has reached that point. Either he wants the K10 or he doesn't. I'm giving him a heartfelt, friendly nudge with a bit of humor obviously beyond your talents.

There is no venom in my reply; but I could happily send some your way. Does this place hatch folk like you just to say I should quiet down and not express anything that might upset folks? Are you an artist or a pimple on the arse of progress?
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Will has several K10 posts, all aimed at acquiring more and more information. In his last, next to this, he suggested that he was holding off on his K10 purchase until after a vacation trip. But 3-5 days later he is back. Short trip?
Last I recall, I said I reserved the right to change my mind.


QuoteQuote:
By now he knows more about the K10 than the chief engineer on the project. There comes a point where further questions are just excuses to procrastinate-I think Will has reached that point. Either he wants the K10 or he doesn't. I'm giving him a heartfelt, friendly nudge with a bit of humor obviously beyond your talents.
I bought the K10D four days ago. I am now asking questions trying to understand what I've got better.

Will
03-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Senior Member
button's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 241
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Are you an artist or a pimple on the arse of progress?
Progress? Your recent posts here have violently exited the colon of regress, sloppily splattering many unsuspecting folks (Will most recently). Please, do us all a favor and eat your daily recommended allowance of fiber. Balance is good for both the diet and the soul, the latter of which I have yet to see in you. The k10d is full of little tricks, and if Will doesn't know all 348 of them and each permutation thereof, then by all means feel obligated to continue to distract us with your pompous retrograde flow of drivel. And while you're trying to somehow extricate your hydrocephalic melon from your hirsute posterier to ineptly follow this post....

Sorry, I have to stop here, before I really get warmed up (but I like the "hatch" metaphor- nice touch! I'm still laughing). But seriously- John, why don't you just give the guy (and the others on this forum you've insulted) a break?
03-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
Original Poster
Boys, boys, please stop fighting over me. I can't marry either one of you - my heart is already pledged to another.

Will
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, button, camera, change, dslr, exposure, k100d, k10d, mode, modes, photography, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLOW continuous shooting on all modes except auto pict? tensai Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 08-30-2011 09:13 PM
K20 shooting modes. Portrait, natural,etc. Thumbster21 Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 03-22-2011 05:31 PM
Different Custom Image For Each Shooting Modes nanhi Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-01-2011 01:42 PM
About the different shooting modes : landscape , macro etc boodiespost Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 12-11-2009 03:15 PM
K10d Modes Papou Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 07-23-2007 09:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top