Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that they will continue with 3 APS-C "lines": K-new, an entry level K-70 follow on, and a 'special' or technology demonstrator model to fill a niche and experiment with. But trying to figure Ricoh out in 'normal' times is hard enough. With the current global turmoil and the general decline of the camera market, who knows.

I don't think they will drop the price of the KP and make it their entry level camera though. If camera release cycles continue to stretch out in might be years before they replace the K-70 and when they do that it would make sense for that camera to use a lot of the K-new technology.

09-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Do you think Ricoh will discontinue one body when the K-new comes out? If so would they drop the K-70 and lower the price of the KP and make it their entry point? Having the KP body in the $600-$700 range along with a flagship aps and the K1ii would be a great lineup.
If that is economically feasible for the company, it would be a great idea, except the KP is not amateur-oriented. No "Scene" modes etc. Even though I love my KP most of all, I am still amazed at my K-S2 for its light-weight compact design yet having a 2-dial control set , exceptional imaging quality, and fully articulating rear screen (which can be a big deal to some). And I got it new at such a low close-out price after he K-70 came. Too bad though about the susceptibility to solenoid failure, which I hope I don't experience.

But I am still not opposed to the idea. It might promote Pentax as an upper-class brand. As the price of the KP has dropped within range of the K-70, the difference in sales favoring the KP might cause some thought in this direction. When I was a beginner there was not yet any auto-anything. Just an all-manual SLR was the only choice available. So the KP being an advanced model should be a greater advantage to those wanting more control and capability over their smartphone. The KP is still easy to use right out of the box, and has great controls. And that would finally eliminate the Pentax solenoid problem for good.
09-21-2020, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The newer models since the K-3 II have substantially improved low light/higher ISO performance with lower noise and better imaging all around, one of the more prominent benefits offered over previous models.
I agree with this.

I have or have had K-30 (a near-twin of the K-50), K-S2, K-3 and KP. The K-S2, K-3 and KP are all significant upgrades from the K-30, but they are different styles of camera: The K-S2 is a lightweight but well-featured entry model; it was succeeded by the K-70 which adds a number of worthwhile extras. The KP stands alone, somewhere between the entry models and the flagship K-3 series. It has robust construction (including a better aperture control mechanism which is not prone to solenoid failure), advanced metering, a tilting screen, better AF, better SR, third wheel and many other high-level features, but doesn't have the larger battery, dual SD cards, top LCD or faster burst rate of the K-3 series. But the KP leapfrogged the K-3 in image quality at higher ISOs - so much so that I came to use it almost all the time and sold my K-3. If you don't need the pro-type features of the K-3 series (including the higher burst rate), the KP will IMO deliver better images.

If the KP is out of your price range, the K-70 (or K-S2) will be an easy and big upgrade from the K-50, with a similar feel but a wealth of extra features. Many K-70 users argue that what that camera can do is very close to what the KP can do and more than the K-3 series in a number of ways. The flippy screen on the K-70 (and K-S2) is more versatile than the tilt screen on the KP as it can be used in vertical orientation - a very handy feature for tripod use or for shooting from a high or low angle (e.g. for macro shots).

The KP, K-S2 and K-70 use the same battery as the K-50 which might be a convenience.

The usual caveats apply if buying second-hand. A K-3/K-3ii would be a fairly safe buy used (which is probably why they command a premium on the second-hand market), as would the KP if you could find one, but be wary about another K-50, as there is always the risk of aperture block failure. Buying new will get you the security of a full warranty. You might also get a decent deal on a lens-camera bundle if you buy new - in particular, a bundle with the DA 18-135 for a good price will give you a very handy and capable lens to replace your 18-55 (see this thread for an indication of what the 18-135 can do: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-...at-can-do.html).

Last edited by Des; 09-22-2020 at 02:18 PM.