Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
updated camera body question

I currently have a k50 and really like it. I am considering upgrading or getting another k50 body. Is there an upgrade to the k50 you can recommend?

08-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 would be the direct replacement.
There is also the KP which has a slightly different body style and feature set.
And there is a new body to be released later this year with a mostly unknown feature set. That is expected late in the year, hopefully for Christmas.
Take a look at the. camera comparator the top of the page. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The K-70 will "upgrade" just about every feature of your K-50 and the KP can take some aspects a few steps further ... the question is, do want/need it or does the K-50 do everything you require?
Obviously budget may be a consideration, a clean used K-50 will cost rather less than either of the others, and you may have accessories, such as a cable release, which won't fit the newer bodies.
08-29-2020, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

what are the OP's photographic interests and which " up grade " will help with those ?

does the OP want a " full frame " sensor or a ASP-C " crop " sensor ?

new or " experienced " camera body ?

is size and weight a consideration ?

I would urge the OP to let us know more specifically what is the photographic interests might be

landscape

portrait

wildlife

sports

birding

low light

the K 5 family might be of interest as might be the K 3 family

the OP may want to use the forum's comparison tool that @jatrax posted to see what each option " brings " to the table

I've added a K 3 II to the mix

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-1+I...=Pentax+K-3+II

this additional tool was recently brought to my attention:

Camera Size Comparison

perhaps it could of some help?

I see the OP is from the US so there might be something " experienced " in the forum's marketplace of interest:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-29-2020 at 04:51 PM.
08-29-2020, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fastpitchdad Quote
I currently have a k50 and really like it. I am considering upgrading or getting another k50 body. Is there an upgrade to the k50 you can recommend?
K-70 or KP, or the upcoming unreleased camera or the full frame K-1ii. The K-70 does have the same aperture block as the K-50, at part that has a higher than average failure rate, the KP does not. Both the K-70 and KP have enormous upgrades over the K-50. I personally have a K-50 and a KP and I highly recommend the KP.
08-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the higher " burst " rate [ continuous shooting ] of the K 3 II might be of interest for moving targets such as sports, flying birds or wildlife
08-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased a K70 and use my older K50 as a second/backup camera. The K70 is such a significant upgrade in so many different ways. Ergonomically though, it has the same look, feel, and usability as the K50. All the dials and buttons have the same functions and are in the same locations. Sometimes I have to look at the nameplate to see which one I'm using. The KP has a very different look and feel with slightly different physical operation.

08-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

or getting another k50 body.
It seems you are interested in getting a second camera body, and while doing so perhaps an upgrade- I can see no other way of reading your statement. If so, I recommend an adventure- upgrade while you are at it. The KP would certainly provide both! Different design concept for many possible uses, along with significantly improved imaging quality. Design uniqueness is in its modular concept. Those who have experience with the old classic compact and slim 35mm film bodies feel a sense of arriving back home with the KP, especially with the smallest supplied grip and a compact lens. Pentax designed a new and unique controls set with the emergence of the full-frame K-1 and has implemented the same type of controls on the quite compact KP with yet further advancements- quite an achievement. Controls, build quality, and imaging are advanced well beyond the K-50.

With the unique modular aspect, one can either enjoy a slim ensemble with the smallest grip and very compact lenses, or by changing grips and adding larger lenses, one can physically expand to a more robust ensemble. This can include the optional battery grip for even greater expansion.

If you'd rather skip the modular aspect, and go for loads of upgrades, even well beyond the KP yet in a more conventional body design. but still with the unconventional advanced controls, the new APS-C flagship is in the final stages of development and is expected to be released probably within the next 6 months or so. Of course, it will be released at full retail price which will be much higher than the KP. This new camera as well as the KP are targeted for advanced and pro photographers, therefore will not offer the "Scene" settings found on the mode dial of an entry-level, amateur-oriented class of camera. But in other ways, the superior controls are much more efficient to use and require less going into menus.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-30-2020 at 12:03 AM.
08-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input and feed back. I am not familiar with KP I will look into that model. I really like the k3ii idea what should I expect to pay for a used body the prices look crazy high for preowned???????
08-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is no telling what you might pay for a K 3 II

you could post a notice that you are looking for one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/37-wanted-items/

or check the forums' marketplace to see what might be available there

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

it can be sorted by country

other possible places EBAY, KEH.Com, B and H Photos and Adorama and even Amazon might have used cameras for sale
08-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone for the input and feed back. I am not familiar with KP I will look into that model. I really like the k3ii idea what should I expect to pay for a used body the prices look crazy high for preowned???????
The newer models since the K-3 II have substantially improved low light/higher ISO performance with lower noise and better imaging all around, one of the more prominent benefits offered over previous models. The soon-forthcoming APS-C flagship will be the K-3 II direct replacement, and has been a long time in development, so it is expected to provide yet additional improvementss in many areas. As to price, it will come out at full retail price, of course, but if you are the real patient kind, that price will probably drop some after around 6 months or so of being on shelves.
08-30-2020, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the k3ii idea what should I expect to pay for a used body the prices look crazy high for preowned???????
I recently purchased a K3 II from another member here. From my experience and research, it seems that camera is deserving of those high prices. It has tons of features (many of which the KP doesn't have, or has in reduced quality) and built like a tank. So you get a lot of bang, and a lot of life, for your buck. $600-700 for a used one in great condition sounds about right purchasing from an individual. $800 from a used equipment place is reasonable due to their overhead and greater buying security.
08-31-2020, 02:02 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The newer models since the K-3 II have substantially improved low light/higher ISO performance with lower noise and better imaging all around, one of the more prominent benefits offered over previous models. The soon-forthcoming APS-C flagship will be the K-3 II direct replacement, and has been a long time in development, so it is expected to provide yet additional improvementss in many areas. As to price, it will come out at full retail price, of course, but if you are the real patient kind, that price will probably drop some after around 6 months or so of being on shelves.
remember that I claim no expertise I just post a lot

the choice between camera bodies may very well depend on what you need. the K 3 family exceeds in some areas, the KP and K 70 exceeds in others, the K 1 family in other areas as well, the unknown ability of the K new will be the same

all are Pentax, which means, to me, good gear at reasonable prices
08-31-2020, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the k3ii idea what should I expect to pay for a used body the prices look crazy high for preowned???????
K-3II was and still is the 'flagship' APS-C model. Despite it being older it is still the newest APS-C camera with 'pro-ish' features like larger battery, dual card slots, more robust shutter and so on. The odd thing is that despite the better (for some definitions of better) feature set it has an older sensor than k-70 / KP. I suspect a big part of the reason prices are still high on the used market is that there is no replacement for the K-3II. If you want the features it has then you have to get a K-3II.

The K-new coming out this fall (hopefully) will be the direct replacement for the K-3II.

What you should do is use the camera comparator above and look carefully at the features of the 3 cameras: K-3II, K-70 and KP. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com Then decide which one fits your use case the best.
09-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-3II was and still is the 'flagship' APS-C model. Despite it being older it is still the newest APS-C camera with 'pro-ish' features like larger battery, dual card slots, more robust shutter and so on. The odd thing is that despite the better (for some definitions of better) feature set it has an older sensor than k-70 / KP. I suspect a big part of the reason prices are still high on the used market is that there is no replacement for the K-3II. If you want the features it has then you have to get a K-3II.

The K-new coming out this fall (hopefully) will be the direct replacement for the K-3II.

What you should do is use the camera comparator above and look carefully at the features of the 3 cameras: K-3II, K-70 and KP. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com Then decide which one fits your use case the best.
Do you think Ricoh will discontinue one body when the K-new comes out? If so would they drop the K-70 and lower the price of the KP and make it their entry point? Having the KP body in the $600-$700 range along with a flagship aps and the K1ii would be a great lineup.