Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #16

Hi, Biff:

I'm in the same position. I use my K-1 + 150-450 for birds, and am really hoping they deliver some great AF AF (hehe) with the K-new. If they don't, I'll probably sell the 150-450 and get a second system. BTW, you can find used copies for $1150ish if you're patient and ready to move right away.

See you back here when the K-new is released!

09-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions, answers, perspectives and experiences. I'll wait for K-new. I like the vibe and quality of Pentax, have for years. Prior was Nikon and Canon years ago, both film.

I've read about and watched videos of many of the others, many are impressive. Checked out the A9 for the first time this morning. Blazing. But like many of you I just really want better, not blazing or always perfect. Only reason I'd dabble in the meantime with anything else is just to check an alternative for comparison, if a used price was right. On the other hand, I'm still tempted to just get the 150-450, shoot photos, be content for now. I don't only do wildlife.

Looking forward to touching base when we see what the K-new has to offer. BTW, and not trying to hijack my own thread, I've also read/watched a lot about mirrorless. I get it. . . don't think I need it.
09-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I'll wait for K-new. I like the vibe and quality of Pentax, have for years.
I think that is wise. Unless you have a need to make the change right now it makes sense to see what Pentax has under wraps. I would expect we will find out this fall sometime. I think we will see an improvement but I also don't think it will be the huge leap ahead some are hoping for. Still, Pentax is not as awful as some make it out to be so even a relatively minor improvement would put them in the "good enough" category even if they don't make "blazing fast".
09-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 55-300PLM and the 150-450 and a K-3 II and k-1 II. I'd say the PLM is fastest to focus in any combination, so I wonder if the speed on the 150-450 is really about the size and weight of the optics versus the AF engine? Regardless, it's a great lens, and I'm not disappointed in any way with it's performance. The PLM is pretty sweet too. Looking forward to using both lenses with the K new.