Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Just joined in the forum.

Just joined in.
With the help of the people at cameralabs.com I have decided to get a k200. Not use to DSLRís of any make though my father and brother just bought Canons....
I know, I see the questions now, and yes Iím the black sheep of the family. However for my outdoor lifestyle the Pentax won out. Couple of easy questions for the forum and that is lenses. Iím use to a split focus screen were you aline top and bottom together for in focus shoots. I noticed with the new DSLRís I donít see this aid for manual focus lenses.
Can you buy new screens and install them and if so what happens if you switch back to DA lenses. I do have some old and Iím talking about 35year old lenses from the Spotamatic days. I had to strip down and go diving for one lens and it still worked after a little cleaning, that was before pollution would strip the coating off the lense of course.
All help and comments would be of great help.
Thanks..

11-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
Just joined in.
With the help of the people at cameralabs.com I have decided to get a k200. Not use to DSLRís of any make though my father and brother just bought Canons....
I know, I see the questions now, and yes Iím the black sheep of the family. However for my outdoor lifestyle the Pentax won out. Couple of easy questions for the forum and that is lenses. Iím use to a split focus screen were you aline top and bottom together for in focus shoots. I noticed with the new DSLRís I donít see this aid for manual focus lenses.
Can you buy new screens and install them and if so what happens if you switch back to DA lenses. I do have some old and Iím talking about 35year old lenses from the Spotamatic days. I had to strip down and go diving for one lens and it still worked after a little cleaning, that was before pollution would strip the coating off the lense of course.
All help and comments would be of great help.
Thanks..
I grew up with original Pentax, and there were no focusing aids in the finder, other than the grain of the screen itself. I find I can manually focus quite handily after some 45+ years of practise without special screens. I did change out my screen, but for a grid screen to help me with keeping trees straight up. I have them in all three of my Pentaxes.

You can buy screens with focusing aids and/or grids. One company I see mentioned here quite often is KatzEye. If you search on that term you should find all the info you need.

Welcome to Pentax!
11-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks. I suppose I was not clear on what I was saying but my camera terminology is very rusty. I have been out of photography for nearly 30 years and I am finding it quite different now that so much technology is involved.
KatzEye is what I was wondering about Thanks.
11-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! It is a nice place to visit. There are always people to help answer questions.
Many use the special finder screens to aid focusing. Some love them. Some don't. They seem to cause some people exposure problems (not the same on every Pentax model). They even have caused some people focusing problems (having to shim the screen). Would try Canada_Rockies suggestion first - practice without changing anything.
Some thing that works well for me is the Pentax magnifying eyecup. It makes the screen look 20% larger and always helps focusing accuracy. Should cost less than the screen you are looking at. Of course you could use magnifier and KatzEye screen together. Hope this helps.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #12 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #13. Any brand camera. Enter now!

11-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I put a Karz-Eye into my K20 and couldn't be happier with it. You will probably find thay your Pentax has a better viewfider than the Canon cameras top begin with, and the new screen is a definite improvement.
11-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Picked up my K200 today.

Thanks for all your help. Kind of excited, picked up my K200D for $499. I thought the price was good and also got a used 28-80FA for $50. So tomorrow I play.
Thanks again for all of your help.