Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Unrealistic, but I still wish they'd re-release Pentax 110

I know this is completely unrealistic, and probably won't happen, but I it would be cool if Pentax updated the 110 system. A tiny digital sensor with complete SLR compatibility? I think it'd be great! Especially if it allowed people to have very basic exposure controls!

The 110 systems were kind of a joke, I know. But I thought they were still pretty cool. Especially considering that now they're releasing "barbie playtime digital cameras" where people don't seem to care about quality. With those 110 cameras, I was never worried about bangin` them around.

Just a random musing...

11-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

micro four thirds?
11-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a couple of those Pentax 110s. They are great. Don't see why it couldn't be done. Minox sells those digital mini-replicas. People say you can't sell a camera without a zoom. Think they could be wrong (the Pentax had a zoom available).
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #12 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #13. Any brand camer. Enter now!
11-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
-
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
micro four thirds?
Sure, why not?

-
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have a couple of those Pentax 110s. They are great. Don't see why it couldn't be done. Minox sells those digital mini-replicas. People say you can't sell a camera without a zoom. Think they could be wrong (the Pentax had a zoom available).
Zoom is quite nice, and it did have a 20-40mm (Equiv. 40-80mm) zoom lens. Why not?

11-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting thoughts. The micro four-thirds sensor imaging area (13.0×17.3 mm) is almost identical to the 110 frame area (13×17 mm), according to Wikipedia:
110 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Four Thirds System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Of course, there is the minor matter of getting the other electronics, not to mention the batteries, into a fairly small body, even by today's standards. Nonetheless, such a project would beat all the other camera makers to the punch, presuming someone in marketing didn't squash the whole idea before it had a chance.

Which brings me to another question, sort of related to this one: whatever happened to the notion of "digital film" ie having a sensor plus associated electronics etc that could be dropped into an existing 35mm camera?
11-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Which brings me to another question, sort of related to this one: whatever happened to the notion of "digital film" ie having a sensor plus associated electronics etc that could be dropped into an existing 35mm camera?
I'd like to know that too! I hear that one of the problems is bringing the cost of a sensor down to something worth the money, not to mention leaving room for memory cards, etc.

But I'd love to be able to do that. I'd be only too happy to buy one for my Pentax ME Super. It would give the camera new life, which it rightfully deserves.
11-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting thoughts. The micro four-thirds sensor imaging area (13.0×17.3 mm) is almost identical to the 110 frame area (13×17 mm), according to Wikipedia:
110 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Four Thirds System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Of course, there is the minor matter of getting the other electronics, not to mention the batteries, into a fairly small body, even by today's standards. Nonetheless, such a project would beat all the other camera makers to the punch, presuming someone in marketing didn't squash the whole idea before it had a chance.

It's probably based on the price. You can get them for medium and large format cameras, assuming you have a mansion that you can mortgage to pay for them.