Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
I guess what I'm asking is.. does a white balance card of the type I used actually change the raw file? it is, after all, a manual white balance calibration.
No it does no changes to the RAW file, other than save you settings in the EXIF data. What it does do for you is tell the RAW conversion software what you set, and starts at that point for the white balance. You should need no white balance changes in post processing. Advantage, much quicker, fewer ulcers.

The only time I actually set my white balance in camera to something other than automatic is under incandescent or fluorescent lighting when I want the camera's LCD to display something approximating what the eye sees, such as when showing the LCD image to others on site.

I use LightRoom's eye dropper to set white balance in post processing. I can batch the WB to the rest of the images with a few clicks.

11-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Albert, I used the eye dropper tool and batch convert also, and in fact I also change from AWB to the nearest approximation during shooting such that the image looks closer to the real thing for instant review as well.

I just though I might have found something to give me a little extra...

I guess I'll still use both techniques depending on whether I have to card with me or not.

The card is also handy for metering in manual mode giving three distinct spikes on the histogram for black, grey, and white.
11-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCharles Quote
Hi All:

I'm experiencing a yellow cast on my indoor shots
Are you using the tungsten WB setting?
11-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #19

Original Poster
I think that's what I'll try. Mean while, I've gotten good results using PS Elements 6 and the color cast correction tool (eye dropper). I'll be sure to utilize the wb settings.