Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Would you think we'll see CAD $2,300-2,500?

- Craig
My guess is it will hit the U.S. market at between $1600 and $1800 but who knows. I'm pretty well prepared to fork over up to my upper prediction range.

10-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Ok
So, we were not all that far off after all. MSRP estimated to be around $2,000. It will come down to $1,500 in 6 months to a year I say.
I assume that’s from a direct exchange rate calculation, based on the “upper 200,000 yen” price indication. Prices in Japan, though, don’t always translate directly to prices in other markets, for whatever reason.

If past pricing behaviour over time is anything to judge from, I imagine you’re correct about the percentage fall over a period, but with the shrinking market and 2020’s economic fallout, they may hold up for a while longer than previously.

I’d look at buying one when the price drops to around $1,800 AUD (which I expect may happen with an eBay special, rather than a general price reduction, at least in the first 12-18 months), but my priority is to replace my FA20/2.8 with the new DFA21.
10-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I assume that’s from a direct exchange rate calculation, based on the “upper 200,000 yen” price indication. Prices in Japan, though, don’t always translate directly to prices in other markets, for whatever reason.

If past pricing behaviour over time is anything to judge from, I imagine you’re correct about the percentage fall over a period, but with the shrinking market and 2020’s economic fallout, they may hold up for a while longer than previously.

I’d look at buying one when the price drops to around $1,800 AUD (which I expect may happen with an eBay special, rather than a general price reduction, at least in the first 12-18 months), but my priority is to replace my FA20/2.8 with the new DFA21.
I think the percentage fall will be largely based on how many units they sell over a given period. The cost of storing inventory and capital not yet recovered will likely dictate how aggressive they want to be in subsequent months, I think. If they flying off the shelves you may not see the price come down quickly. It’s a tricky market for sure.
10-31-2020, 10:15 PM   #229
Pentaxian

I bought several items online from Japan and it seems that prices in the US are cheaper. Here in the Philippines, Pentax products are quite expensive. I couldn't understand why prices of Nikon are cheaper than Pentax.

10-31-2020, 10:51 PM   #230
Veteran Member

I am glad the Pentax APS-C family continues to move forward. Being part of the fixed budget (retired) crowd I hope they don't price me out of the market. It is comforting to know that Pentax is moving their vision of photography forward at a measured pace. I am tired of most camera marketing trying to convince me that my current camera is no good, even though it was the greatest thing just two years ago. I would rather use my current camera and enjoy it until it ceases to function, and then jump back into the market for a replacement I need, not one that some marketing firm is trying to convince me to buy.
11-01-2020, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think the percentage fall will be largely based on how many units they sell over a given period. The cost of storing inventory and capital not yet recovered will likely dictate how aggressive they want to be in subsequent months, I think. If they flying off the shelves you may not see the price come down quickly. It’s a tricky market for sure.
No doubt about that. However, I think that, in spite of the good initial uptakes, the eBay specials for the DFA*50/1.4 and the DFA70-210 kicked in quite early here in Oz – certainly that was the case when I bought those lenses. They were, I suspect, decisions made by the Australian distributor CR Kennedy, rather than centrally. They seem to control their inventories quite well, judging by the availabilities of a number of their pricier lenses from time to time. So, I’m hopeful that will be repeated for the K-3iii body, when I’m ready to consider buying it.
11-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice that they kept us informed both about release data and suspected price. Upper 200000 JPN means somewhere between 250-290k. With 275k it is aroud 7-11 000 PLN in Poland means around the price of K-1 Mk II body on lower end or close to 1.5x of it on higher. And if this is a price for body only (not a kit) it starts to be reallllly expensive in my part of the world.

Japanese prices translate pretty accurately to Polish ones, if anything prices in Poland are higher then in Japan...

And such price tag left me with thinking about whenever I should wait for this camera, or go the FF route. Switching system is also a possibility especially with Olympus gear being cheaper and cheaper.

Lots of thinking to do in next 4 months.

11-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #233
Pentaxian

I've been thinking lately. I think I'd like to have this camera and, I'd like a brand new one. So what I might do is I'll wait 3 years down the line and purchase one. Maybe it'll only be $900 then. That'll be quite some savings. But then, the K-3IV might already be available and I might start frowning after my purchase.
11-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$ 2000 is a lot of money, considering the possibility of $1800 K-1. In Europe they hit the market at higher prices and on the other hand previous stocks are quite often on sale. It’s hardly negotiable for me, but I expect folks to be really disappointed with the “upper” ¥200.000 range.
As for the price drop, idk, where I come from, it’s not substantial over time. Sadly, this keeps local camera business really low. (with the exception of sale season)
11-02-2020, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I am glad the Pentax APS-C family continues to move forward. Being part of the fixed budget (retired) crowd I hope they don't price me out of the market. It is comforting to know that Pentax is moving their vision of photography forward at a measured pace. I am tired of most camera marketing trying to convince me that my current camera is no good, even though it was the greatest thing just two years ago. I would rather use my current camera and enjoy it until it ceases to function, and then jump back into the market for a replacement I need, not one that some marketing firm is trying to convince me to buy.
I'm 58 and have been into photography somewhere in 1978. Got bored of it and stopped somewhere in 1996. Got back in 2008. The thing is, guys who've previously been into photography during the 70s and 80s normally stay in one system and grow into it. It doesn't matter what brand we had. You just keep on accumulating lenses and upgrading your cameras little by little as the need arises. We don't simply jump ship because one system has a certain feature. We grow old with our system and enjoy it. Younger folks now are so gear oriented that it's easy to change systems when there's something new. The hobby expensive as it was before has now become more expensive as cameras are regularly updated. I still like the way old folks think, just grow into the system and enjoy it.

I sure feel old.
11-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm 58 and have been into photography somewhere in 1978. Got bored of it and stopped somewhere in 1996. Got back in 2008. The thing is, guys who've previously been into photography during the 70s and 80s normally stay in one system and grow into it. It doesn't matter what brand we had. You just keep on accumulating lenses and upgrading your cameras little by little as the need arises. We don't simply jump ship because one system has a certain feature. We grow old with our system and enjoy it. Younger folks now are so gear oriented that it's easy to change systems when there's something new. The hobby expensive as it was before has now become more expensive as cameras are regularly updated. I still like the way old folks think, just grow into the system and enjoy it.

I sure feel old.
The difference you describe is almost completely the responsibility of internet brain washing and is increasingly affecting older people also.

More and more time is spent on the internet, people are switching off their lights with it and asking it to turn the TV on. (As a personal note I totally blanket all internet use on any kind of holiday, if I didn't I wouldn't be on holiday!)

All you can do is personally draw a line under this madness and decide whether it is wise to follow the digital sheep and sit on forums all day while the equipment sits in a bag?

I'm not into this keeping up with the Kardasians myself, I have all the photo gear I need and not wanting more as I know it wouldn't bring me any joy. It's a kind of paradise syndrome realising this fact and getting your arse into gear to do some hopefully great photography.

Oh yeah the art of photography? What is that? 12 fps? MILC? 26MP vs 24MP? 5.5 stops vs 5 stop? 13.9 EV vs 13.3EV? YOU NEED DUAL CARDS! Never needed DUAL FILM!!!!!!

11-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #237
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
The difference you describe is almost completely the responsibility of internet brain washing and is increasingly affecting older people also.

More and more time is spent on the internet, people are switching off their lights with it and asking it to turn the TV on. (As a personal note I totally blanket all internet use on any kind of holiday, if I didn't I wouldn't be on holiday!)
I think there are a few other factors into switching systems as well. First, I think the fast system switchers are a minority, but are vocal about it. But aside from that, they may be more comfortable selling on eBay or specific forums and have done it enough that they can actually get decent prices for their used gear.

Also, another factor about it is the switch to mirrorless. In that case, especially with Canon to Sony as it is a good example, most people are plenty happy with adapting their lenses because it is very easy to adapt DSLR lenses to mirrorless. In fact, recently in the forum someone even posted an example of an upcoming Pentax to Sony adapter.
11-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D500 is a professional camera and although the K3-ii is better in many ways, it is not better in every way. I think this camera should be about the same price. 1499 usd
11-02-2020, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #239
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote

All you can do is personally draw a line under this madness and decide whether it is wise to follow the digital sheep and sit on forums all day while the equipment sits in a bag?

I'm not into this keeping up with the Kardasians myself, I have all the photo gear I need and not wanting more as I know it wouldn't bring me any joy. It's a kind of paradise syndrome realising this fact and getting your arse into gear to do some hopefully great photography.

Oh yeah the art of photography? What is that? 12 fps? MILC? 26MP vs 24MP? 5.5 stops vs 5 stop? 13.9 EV vs 13.3EV? YOU NEED DUAL CARDS! Never needed DUAL FILM!!!!!!

Not all of us have the luxury of only shooting for pleasure as you do. Some of us actually do need higher performance. Like bigger buffers, better tethering, dual cards and etc.

Pros should not judge the "needs" of amateurs by their own standards---but the reverse is also true. Another true thing is that a higher spec-ed camera can always work at lower spec levels, but the reverse is, in this case, not true. And it seems there are lower spec-ed cameras out there for those who don't need the higher specs.
11-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
The D500 is a professional camera and although the K3-ii is better in many ways, it is not better in every way. I think this camera should be about the same price. 1499 usd
Here in Australia, the D500 sells for a shade under the XT3/4 price, which is somewhere near the price being touted for the K-3iii ($2.3-2.5k AUD). We will just have to wait until February 2021 for the actual world pricing. Everything else is just speculation at best; catastrophising at worst.