Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Here in Australia, the D500 sells for a shade under the XT3/4 price, which is somewhere near the price being touted for the K-3iii ($2.3-2.5k AUD). We will just have to wait until February 2021 for the actual world pricing. Everything else is just speculation at best; catastrophising at worst.
I got the K5 the day it was available in Canada, likely one of the first to get it I'm sure. I believe it was the most expensive pentax apsc up to that date and I think it was 1699 cad or 1599 usd, back when our dollar was almost par. I'm not sure about those prices but I wouldn't pay anymore than that for the k3 iii. There are so many inexpensive FF options out there now.

11-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I got the K5 the day it was available in Canada, likely one of the first to get it I'm sure. I believe it was the most expensive pentax apsc up to that date and I think it was 1699 cad or 1599 usd, back when our dollar was almost par. I'm not sure about those prices but I wouldn't pay anymore than that for the k3 iii. There are so many inexpensive FF options out there now.
I did pretty much the same here, when the K-5 was released. That was somewhere near peak DSLR sales, though, and the market has changed a lot since then. APS-C cameras still sell, but not necessarily because they’re the cheaper option, as the prices of the Nikon and Fujifilm attest.

I really doubt I’ll be replacing my K-3 any time soon, especially not if the K-3iii doesn’t include a GPS module, the lack of which is the reason I mostly take the K-1 travelling, these days.
11-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess I'm one of those people that buy used cameras mostly, or discounted cameras. In fact the K50 was the only new SLR camera I've ever bough. I got my K5 used and my D500 used. I think whatever the price of the K3iii, if I ever get it, it will be used maybe five years from now. In which case I would probably aim for 1k USD.
11-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to wait until the price drops a bit. Both for bicycles and cameras!

11-02-2020, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #245
Pentaxian

Here in Australia, the D500 sells for a shade under the XT3/4 price, which is somewhere near the price being touted for the K-3iii ($2.3-2.5k AUD). We will just have to wait until February 2021 for the actual world pricing. Everything else is just speculation at best; catastrophising at worst.
You are in VanDiemans Land,not Orstraliaaa mate.

So prices are a bit different,XT3 is A$ 1500ish now and FujiOZtralia have some cashback deals on for next couple of months on selected bodies/lenses and kits.Dunno what they would charge to send them over the moat but I'd advise buying double(you know Why!)
11-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm 58 and have been into photography somewhere in 1978. Got bored of it and stopped somewhere in 1996. Got back in 2008. The thing is, guys who've previously been into photography during the 70s and 80s normally stay in one system and grow into it. It doesn't matter what brand we had. You just keep on accumulating lenses and upgrading your cameras little by little as the need arises. We don't simply jump ship because one system has a certain feature. We grow old with our system and enjoy it. Younger folks now are so gear oriented that it's easy to change systems when there's something new. The hobby expensive as it was before has now become more expensive as cameras are regularly updated. I still like the way old folks think, just grow into the system and enjoy it.

I sure feel old.

I bought into two other systems after I had a pretty complete Pentax setup. First Olympus as its’ just amazingly compact for travel. Then Nikon when I was just fed up with Pentax autofocus and telephoto options. But I never really “switched” I just added other brands for the capability’s I was missing with my Pentax gear. I’ll likely just keep growing each as deals come along as I enjoy all of them. There’s no ultimate camera brand for me.

Some people by a sports car and polish it in the garage, some collect rifles, some are super into fishing and buy a boat and a bunch of gear. I don’t see it being any different or any more expensive to do the same with Camera’s and enjoy photography.

I should say Pentax is my first digital system. I still have the Nikon N2000 I learned on and lenses from the 80’s that was my fathers.

Much of the “I switched to this” is Youtuber’s who make a living on the views. I think it’s @ 3000 USD per million views for a video roughly, a bit more or less for different factors. So they gather a lot of attention and hence paychecks with all the camera switching. Tony Northrup is switching brands every 6 months it seems.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 11-02-2020 at 05:52 PM.
11-02-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You are in VanDiemans Land,not Orstraliaaa mate.

So prices are a bit different,XT3 is A$ 1500ish now and FujiOZtralia have some cashback deals on for next couple of months on selected bodies/lenses and kits.Dunno what they would charge to send them over the moat but I'd advise buying double(you know Why!)
Always good to have comments from the gallery, surfar. Those were advertised prices from some of the main photo outlets in the North Island. I was a little surprised to see the XT3 still being offered at around the XT4 price, but there you go. Blame on COVID-19 (how’s that going in the Premier State?)
11-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #248
Pentaxian

how’s that going in the Premier State
Very few cases but the ones that pop up are usually from the BlowIns from down South!

My XT3 was A$1750 at beginning of 2019,I shop around.New firmware going on today during my lunch break.

XT4 prices are still up near release price.The Foz cashbacks are good.A couple of years ago 100 off the 27mm...so ended up a bit over 60 apples in your currency!

---------- Post added 11-03-20 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Tony Northrup is switching brands every 6 months it seems.
Its his wife that switches! He just follows.

02-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am just curious what the consensus is around here.
To put it in perspective . . . .What is your price?
The poll about the rice tag is to find here:
How much will the K-3 III cost? - PentaxForums.com

Rico said the price tag will be above 200000 YEN.
02-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The poll is very interesting although based on the sample size I am not sure how representative of the feeling of the entire potential buyers this poll is. It may well be very close. Who knows. If so - $1800 - $2,000 seem to be what people want to pay for.

More and more I think about it - I am beginning to think that this is not the camera for me because the price of FF cameras are coming down in price with improved specs, and also considering that I only have a couple of DA lenses left in my possession (DA * 50-135 and DA 35/2.8 ltd). I may have pulled the trigger if it had come out already but it is already beginning to lose its luster in my psyche. That may change when it comes out, of course.
02-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I only have a couple of DA lenses left in my possession (DA * 50-135 and DA 35/2.8 ltd)
Wow, that's pretty limited (pardon the pun!) and keeping in mind you can still shoot these fine lenses in crop mode with the K-1 II, are still very, very usable. What FF lenses do you have?
02-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Wow, that's pretty limited (pardon the pun!) and keeping in mind you can still shoot these fine lenses in crop mode with the K-1 II, are still very, very usable. What FF lenses do you have?
I actually love both of lenses and their renditions so I actually put them on my K-1 fairly often. I say 35 Ltd more so than 50-135.

I got the three amigos, DFA 15-30, A* 85, Zeiss ZK 85/1.4 (yes yes redundant) and makro 100/2, and Tak fish eye 17/4.