Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fontan Quote
this camera has had a misfortune of being hit by covid crisis
k-2020

---------- Post added 09-13-20 at 10:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
But if the camera has pretty good video chops, then we might just have a sale.
wouldn't hold my breath

09-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #47

I have a question for you guys. Since I said that I was willing to go as high as $2000-$2500, which is K1-II range, would I be better off buying the K1 anyway? Most of my lenses are full frame lenses anyway, and I haven't invested in ApS-c specific lenses. I also only shoot in manual, because I find it fun, so autofocus is not important to me. Would I theoretically be better off buying full frame, to get more out of the gear that I already own?

Just a theoretic question - thinking out loud here. This thought didn't occur to me earlier.
09-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I have a question for you guys. Since I said that I was willing to go as high as $2000-$2500, which is K1-II range, would I be better off buying the K1 anyway? Most of my lenses are full frame lenses anyway, and I haven't invested in ApS-c specific lenses. I also only shoot in manual, because I find it fun, so autofocus is not important to me. Would I theoretically be better off buying full frame, to get more out of the gear that I already own?

Just a theoretic question - thinking out loud here. This thought didn't occur to me earlier.
I’d be waiting to see how the Knew performs and what its feature list includes.

The major imaging advantage of the K-1/ii over other Pentax DSLRs, currently, is the dynamic range, but the sensor for the Knew is likely to improve on previous Pentax APS-C bodies in that respect, although the KP’s seems well-regarded.

The feature list is another matter. If you shoot with manual focus, then AF speed and buffer size/speed are unlikely to be attractive features to you. I hate to mention it, but if you shoot macro, the movable rear screen on the K-1 will be a point in its favour.

Then, of course, there’s the matter of the field of view with your lens collection. If you already have focal lengths down as far as 15mm, then you’ve probably got good coverage for APS-C, as well as 35FF. Only you can answer that.

There’s a lot of other things you might want to consider, though, such as weight if you’re walking with a lot of equipment. Are your lenses AF, and/or metal body construction or large aperture, for instance? Personally, I don’t mind the weight of the K-1, but that’s an individual consideration.

Lots to think about while we’re waiting to see the new body.
09-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #49
Pentaxian

I am guessing that the K-new will be selling for about USD1000. To answer the question posed in the title: I'm not in the market for a new crop frame camera. If I was spending that sort of money I would want a full frame camera to use with my hoard collection of classic manual focus full frame glass.

09-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I’d be waiting to see how the Knew performs and what its feature list includes.

The major imaging advantage of the K-1/ii over other Pentax DSLRs, currently, is the dynamic range, but the sensor for the Knew is likely to improve on previous Pentax APS-C bodies in that respect, although the KP’s seems well-regarded.

The feature list is another matter. If you shoot with manual focus, then AF speed and buffer size/speed are unlikely to be attractive features to you. I hate to mention it, but if you shoot macro, the movable rear screen on the K-1 will be a point in its favour.

Then, of course, there’s the matter of the field of view with your lens collection. If you already have focal lengths down as far as 15mm, then you’ve probably got good coverage for APS-C, as well as 35FF. Only you can answer that.

There’s a lot of other things you might want to consider, though, such as weight if you’re walking with a lot of equipment. Are your lenses AF, and/or metal body construction or large aperture, for instance? Personally, I don’t mind the weight of the K-1, but that’s an individual consideration.

Lots to think about while we’re waiting to see the new body.
Thank you for the detailed response. I will wait and see - my feeling is that the K-new will be revealed sometime this month, so hopefully we won't have long to wait. 🙂
09-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I am guessing that the K-new will be selling for about USD1000. To answer the question posed in the title: I'm not in the market for a new crop frame camera. If I was spending that sort of money I would want a full frame camera to use with my hoard collection of classic manual focus full frame glass.
That's about what the KP was going for. I'm fairly certain 1500-1600€ is closer to reality.

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 01:11 AM ----------

Get the K-1 and don't look back. I got mine (Mark I) for under 900€ with less than 2000 clicks on the shutter. Absolute IQ monster, joy to use, makes all kinds of photography I've attempted (cityscapes/street/landscape/macro/astro/portrait) hassle-free.
09-14-2020, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not saying it necessarily will be more expensive than the K-1, but I'm curious why people think it necessarily has to be cheaper, when it packs a lot more new tech, and is a much newer machine? I understand one is a full frame and the other an APS-C, but one is also 4 years newer tech than the other, with a lot of R&D investments to boot.

With that said, I'm only going to be delighted if it's much cheaper. That way I'll be able to buy a nice lens with it as well.
Newer tech is cheaper tech. As technology advances, it also becomes less expensive. Assuming that the newest thing is the most costly has been proven wrong in the computing field for decades.

Along with that, if they want to recoup costs, the best way to do that is in volume sales. They don't have a limitless ceiling for pricing due to competition. (although, whether they ever even consider competition could be debatable).

Sure, why not. I'll make a bet: $1400 list price, $1200 intro special.
Snap them up, folks!

09-14-2020, 01:29 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
That's about what the KP was going for. I'm fairly certain 1500-1600€ is closer to reality.

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 01:11 AM ----------

Get the K-1 and don't look back. I got mine (Mark I) for under 900€ with less than 2000 clicks on the shutter. Absolute IQ monster, joy to use, makes all kinds of photography I've attempted (cityscapes/street/landscape/macro/astro/portrait) hassle-free.
Very interesting. I will have to look up some used deals, and see what is available. That new limited silver edition also looks amazing..
09-14-2020, 01:33 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That new limited silver edition also looks amazing..
Guess who's saving for a silver DFA 21 Limited...
09-14-2020, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i early adopted the K1 at around $1800.00 i cant imagine the K new will even approach that price unless they just don't want to sell very many. i am definitely interested in one as a replacement for my K3 but not at an exorbitant price. i am also saving for the DFA 21mm for my K1
09-14-2020, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Newer tech is cheaper tech. As technology advances, it also becomes less expensive.
Not until developing costs are covered. The new prism, AF system, sensor + all the other new features costs money. It is cheaper to use old tech long paid for....

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 12:55 PM ----------

Impossible to answer. They are two different formats. Which one do you prefer? Only you can answer that.
APS is smaller and hence more portable. FF gives better image quality (all thing equal)......

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 12:56 PM ----------

BTW I guess the Knew will cost around $2000......
09-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not until developing costs are covered. The new prism, AF system, sensor + all the other new features costs money. It is cheaper to use old tech long paid for....

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 12:55 PM ----------

Impossible to answer. They are two different formats. Which one do you prefer? Only you can answer that.
APS is smaller and hence more portable. FF gives better image quality (all thing equal)......

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 12:56 PM ----------

BTW I guess the Knew will cost around $2000......
I have never owned a full frame digital camera, so I can't really compare, but I started out shooting 35mm film cameras. Image quality is for me more important than portability. So I guess that did answer it.. 🙂
09-14-2020, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should be noted that while it's true that the K-new has to compete it today's market, the D500 didn't launch at $1,500. and launch prices do come down,
09-14-2020, 05:04 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It should be noted that while it's true that the K-new has to compete it today's market, the D500 didn't launch at $1,500. and launch prices do come down,
I guess we forget. Yeah, the D500 initially sold for $2000, body only, and that was 4 years ago.
09-14-2020, 05:27 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I was unaware a production copy has been presented for examination. If not, the final product may include some changes over a pre-production concept sample.
I didn't write my reply correctly so I'll restate now; When the price of the Knew has dropped to around $1500 at real stores here in the USA, I'll start reaching for my checkbook to buy, but only after I've held one in a store for a bit. My proximity to NY and the time it will take for the price to get down to around $1500 means this is probably happening in mid-2021 or so.