Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2020, 05:45 PM - 3 Likes   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,357
QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I also wonder, when do we hit the point when upgrades are hardly worth doing, or at least, infrequently.
I think we are at or near that point now. My K-3 does what I want it to do and suits my style well. However, its buttons and switches have a limited lifetime as evidenced by the fact that both the "OK" and "menu" buttons are losing their printing. I can either get a competent backup or get a new camera. Fortunately, the K-new is coming about the time when my K-3 is approaching its seventh anniversary, the same age as my K10D when I replaced it.


Steve

09-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #92
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 2,109
Many say if price is too high, it’s better to buy a K-1II, It’s Ok if they sell more K-1 as the cost is already cover. The goal is to sell more K-New and k-1 II combine
09-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,472
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I have a question for you guys. Since I said that I was willing to go as high as $2000-$2500, which is K1-II range, would I be better off buying the K1 anyway? Most of my lenses are full frame lenses anyway, and I haven't invested in ApS-c specific lenses. I also only shoot in manual, because I find it fun, so autofocus is not important to me. Would I theoretically be better off buying full frame, to get more out of the gear that I already own?

Just a theoretic question - thinking out loud here. This thought didn't occur to me earlier.
I would consider FF based on what you are saying. I would by an used K-1. If you are loaded with DA ltds - then by all means.
09-14-2020, 11:42 PM   #94
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 150
I am not loaded with any expensive lenses. I am just a beginner. They are full frame but not what anyone would call expensive or top glass. 🙂

09-14-2020, 11:49 PM   #95
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I am not loaded with any expensive lenses. I am just a beginner. They are full frame but not what anyone would call expensive or top glass.
If it says Pentax or Asahi Optical Company on a lens then it is top quality.

For the most part any K mount full frame lens will be very useful. There are very few truly bad ones. I can only think of the Ricoh 50mm f/2.2 right now. That said, I want one of them to see for myself just how bad it is. GAS is real, hehehe.
09-15-2020, 12:15 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I have a question for you guys. Since I said that I was willing to go as high as $2000-$2500, which is K1-II range, would I be better off buying the K1 anyway? Most of my lenses are full frame lenses anyway, and I haven't invested in ApS-c specific lenses. I also only shoot in manual, because I find it fun, so autofocus is not important to me. Would I theoretically be better off buying full frame, to get more out of the gear that I already own?

Just a theoretic question - thinking out loud here. This thought didn't occur to me earlier.
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I decided long ago that I was going to pre-order/buy the K-new, and after spending a bit of time considering it against the K-1, I've fallen back on my initial decision to buy the K-new. It's just the wait that is getting to me, and making me impatient. I need to relax.
If you want a different experience right now, get a good used K-3 (I or II) and get out taking photos. When the K-New comes out, don't rush to buy, but study and compare its actual features and capabilities against the K-1 II, to make a properly informed decision on which would be best for you. You can then sell the K-3 if no longer required.

Philip
09-15-2020, 12:49 AM   #97
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 150
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
If it says Pentax or Asahi Optical Company on a lens then it is top quality.

For the most part any K mount full frame lens will be very useful. There are very few truly bad ones. I can only think of the Ricoh 50mm f/2.2 right now. That said, I want one of them to see for myself just how bad it is. GAS is real, hehehe.
Oh, I am not saying they are bad or anything - I am perfectly happy with the quality. But my lenses are mostly older lenses, and a mix of brands. If I stumbled across a used K1 at a great price, I would certainly give it a reasonable consideration. After all, such a great camera does deserve being taken seriously.

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 12:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
If you want a different experience right now, get a good used K-3 (I or II) and get out taking photos. When the K-New comes out, don't rush to buy, but study and compare its actual features and capabilities against the K-1 II, to make a properly informed decision on which would be best for you. You can then sell the K-3 if no longer required.

Philip
Not a bad suggestion. I own a K100D Super and a K200D, and I am perfectly happy with the quality for my needs. I just feel like if I'm going to spend money on another camera, I can only justify it to myself by going for a great quality one that will be leaps and bounds ahead of my older cameras in features. 🙂
09-15-2020, 01:16 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Not a bad suggestion. I own a K100D Super and a K200D, and I am perfectly happy with the quality for my needs. I just feel like if I'm going to spend money on another camera, I can only justify it to myself by going for a great quality one that will be leaps and bounds ahead of my older cameras in features. 🙂
Like the K-3 (I or II).

Philip

09-15-2020, 01:27 AM   #99
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 150
I am not sure I would be able to find one of those in my country, though I am open to looking around Europe. How does the k-3II compare to the KP or K-70? Both those models are pretty cheap here from new. Could be a wiser upgrade than a flagship since I am inexperienced and need to build my lens collection anyway.
09-15-2020, 02:55 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I am not sure I would be able to find one of those in my country, though I am open to looking around Europe. How does the k-3II compare to the KP or K-70? Both those models are pretty cheap here from new. Could be a wiser upgrade than a flagship since I am inexperienced and need to build my lens collection anyway.
It would seem that you need to pause and consider where you want to go in your photography and hence with regard to your gear. The K-3 (I or II) or K-New or K-1 (I or II) would probably be considered to be Pentax flagships by most Pentaxians. By now discussing the KP or K-70 you appear to be introducing ever more contradictions into your own thinking, making other suggestions difficult to give at present, although good lenses (old or modern) are always worth having.

Philip
09-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #101
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 150
Fair enough. I will pause and think my options over. Sorry about the interruption - carry on like nothing happened. 😁
09-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #102
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,990
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Consider this: except for more megapixels and possibly a small advantage in sensor performance, the K-New will likely outstrip the K-1 mkII in all aspects of measurable performance.
The K-3 already outstrips the K-1 in many measures of performance. K-1s are not performance cameras, they are field cameras.
09-15-2020, 04:27 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,882
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K-3 already outstrips the K-1 in many measures of performance. K-1s are not performance cameras, they are field cameras.
It's for sure better in terms of bursts (both fps and buffer) and reach because of pixel density, but what else is it better at? My previous camera is the K-7 so it's not quite comparable (although infinite JPG buffer was nice the one time I needed it )

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 04:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Fair enough. I will pause and think my options over. Sorry about the interruption - carry on like nothing happened. ��
I would think about the types of photography you do, and where you are limited by current gear - say if you want better AF, better low light performance, etc.

Last edited by Serkevan; 09-15-2020 at 04:36 AM.
09-15-2020, 04:38 AM   #104
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,990
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's for sure better in terms of bursts (both fps and buffer) and reach because of pixel density, but what else is it better at? My previous camera is the K-7 so it's not quite comparable (although infinite JPG buffer was nice the one time I needed it )
What else does it need one better at. I didn't say it was better at everything. Those two things are pretty important in terms of image capture in performance situations.
Full frame or APS-c, you be the judge. - PentaxForums.com

Low light performance can be made better, but you always get the most DR at base ISO. You can clean up the noise in a high ISO image, you can't rescue the Dynamic Range. Better high ISO is good making the most of a bad situation, but it remains, a bad situation.
09-15-2020, 04:46 AM   #105
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's for sure better in terms of bursts (both fps and buffer) and reach because of pixel density, but what else is it better at? My previous camera is the K-7 so it's not quite comparable (although infinite JPG buffer was nice the one time I needed it )

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 04:35 AM ----------



I would think about the types of photography you do, and where you are limited by current gear - say if you want better AF, better low light performance, etc.
Just in my own personal use the K1 seems like a more deliberate camera than my others. It's for when I know where I'm going. The K70 and KP are more cruising friendly. Yeah I know that's vague, but it's a reason I'd be attracted to the K-new.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
answer, aps-c, boutique, camera, cameras, costs, d500, dslr, ff, flagship, frame, fuji, k-3, leica, lenses, level, model, niche, period, photography, pm, post, question, sets, sony, tech, upgrade
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
if you are willing, please send positive and good thoughts to an injured zoo keeper aslyfox General Talk 11 04-25-2019 04:43 PM
Searching for an specific photograph and willing to pay for it... cyber General Photography 9 01-07-2019 09:01 AM
Nature Scared Out of His Shell? Sailor Post Your Photos! 7 07-11-2018 09:05 AM
Focus screen: cheap chinese or shell out for Katz eye with Optibrite? virgilr Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 53 03-30-2009 01:04 PM
Shell within a Shell Beachnutt Monthly Photo Contests 0 01-31-2009 01:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top