Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2020, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the current market of very affordable, excellent slightly older FF cameras, anything over X-T4 price is commercial suicide I'm afraid (I'd count that one as the flagship over the X-Pro3 which is more of a niche boutique Leica-lite camera).

The K-3/K-3ii were hovering around 1300€, so I guess that's what sets the "expected" level? I would say 1600€ body only (with only the Fujis being more expensive), but I'm thinking it might be up to 1800 or so...

09-13-2020, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without any knowledge other than APS-C and a successor of the K-5 - K-3 line I'd simply guess Body 1450,- €, kit with DA18-135 1850,- € (K-5 and K-3 kit was about 1650,- €) and kit with new DA*16-50 II 2300,- €. - But I think I wouldn't buy it since my interest is more in lenses.
09-13-2020, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #18

Considering they've already angered, or just plain shunned, lots of potential buyers, by dropping the flippy screen for silly reasons, they'll need to excel in at least one of the perennial user complaints, AF or video, to be able to sell it at a price anywhere close to K1.
Not many current users will care much about it without either serious AF improvements, or 4k video.
Also, they won't stand up in comparisons without 4k, so potential new users will see it as old tech, as there's this strange tendency to associate stills quality with video quality.

Without these things, it'll be a repeat of the K1, where lots of reviewers would say it's a great camera at a great price, even beating more expensive cameras, but the things that people (choosing a system) view as a sign of advanced technology, like AF and video, are 2nd rate, thus making those new buyers discard it.
Potential new users will care more about 4k and flippy screen than a few mm/g in the camera's size/weight, so they're already sabotaging themselves by trading flippy for size. Maybe a sign that they're not improving video, and just seeing it as a little extra for emergencies.
I hope they're setting themselves up for action photography by improving the AF, as that'll offset the loss of flippy/video connection point of interest to new users. Leica has the reputation to survive as a niche player, Pentax/Ricoh doesn't.

I'll only be looking at AF, as I take the IQ improvements as certain, and I have the KP for the flippy screen and small size, so not fazed by the loss of flippy.
AF will be a deal breaker for me, no matter if the price is half or the same as K1.
09-13-2020, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm willing to pay whatever it costs. I'm sure it is worth it...

09-13-2020, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I imagine that it will fall between US$1399-$1499. Body only of course.
09-13-2020, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1800 usd
09-13-2020, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #22

I think the whole flippyscreen debate is a bit blown up, for several reasons. While it is true that some are probably shunned by the lack of a flippyscreen, I don't think the inclusion of a flippyscreen is magically going to get a lot of people to jump ship to Pentax. In the world at large, Sony, Nikon, Canon and Fuji have a much higher level of brand awareness among the average person, and most important of all: to the average consumer, they have "cool factor". "Oh, nice, you own the latest Sony flagship.. Cool, dude!". Although these sorts of things are incredibly shallow, they do matter to a lot of people. Bragging rights, and so on. So even with a flippyscreen, I just don't see a massive amount of people jumping ships from those four brands. Pentax is treated a bit like the black sheep.

But hey, I don't want to start the flippyscreen debate all over again, so I'll keep quiet about it.

09-13-2020, 05:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bicycle... Bicycle... I want to ride my Bicycle I want to ride my bike

What already decided buyers of this are fearing the oncoming man on a bicycle test?

09-13-2020, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I don't know the feature set yet. Did I miss something? FPS, buffer size, buffer clearing, three independent function paths, (AF, settings control, and buffer clearing) that don't interrupt the other two). From what I know right now, wouldn't even buy it. I already passed on a D500 because I'm pretty happy with my K-3, so why they think I would buy a camera like a D500 is kind of beyond me. I''ll consider it but not based on what we know now.
09-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Pentax users seem to "like" to complain.
Last year it was the lack a a "K-3 placement" - so now that a "K-3 replacement" is coming, it is all about features of that "K-3 replacement".
I am perfectly happy with my KP, so we'll see whether people vote with their money as they did with the K-3ii {which lacked an OnBoard Flash.
09-13-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll start reaching for the checkbook when it gets down to around $1500 and I've actually held one. I know this means I won't be getting one for up to a year after they hit the market. This is about as crazy as I can rationalize.
09-13-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'll start reaching for the checkbook when it gets down to around $1500 and I've actually held one.
But did you get to use it?
09-13-2020, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I think they will initially charge between $1,600 to $1,800 USD for the K-New.
09-13-2020, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The smart move would be to rent one and see how I like it with some of my favorite glass that I already own. That probably makes more sense than just holding it at B&H or Adorama and ordering one when I get home.

That said, I think if I like how it feels in-hand and the controls seem acceptable, I doubt I'm going to find anything I don't like about it after having rented one. Pentax "color science" and the high-ISO IQ that their most recent bodies provide coupled with general UI familiarity means they really can't miss with me with this thing. So in a way, no, actually using one isn't going to sway me if it seems good to hold in store and use for even a few minutes. This camera seems to be a combination of everything to like about the K-5 family with improvements found with the KP and K-1. How can they miss?
09-13-2020, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not in the market for this as I am full frame but my guess would be in the $1400 - $1500 level. That leaves a nice space for an increase in the K-1 iii to the $2200 level. Hopefully with increased features both cameras will attract new buyers to the brand.

Is it the general feeling here that the new 21mm will be released at the same time? Would the pricing of this be along the lines of the existing 31mm -- approx. $700 - $800?