Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2020, 07:55 AM - 3 Likes   #76
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Some will say "for just a little more I can get that K-1 I have been dreaming about."
I have a sneaking feeling that the K-new is going to give the K-1 a run for it's value.
And I'm sure it's going to stomp all over the K-3 and the KP.
I bet when the K-new is released, the debate will be more so "should I get a K-new, or wait for the K-new tech to be released in a FF camera"

09-14-2020, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing is, if the K-new is priced too ambitiously it will compete with the K-1. Some will say "for just a little more I can get that K-1 I have been dreaming about." That's good for Ricoh - one more K-1 sold. It is also not so good - fewer sales of K-new to recoup development costs. Or not too bad, cross subsidizing applies between models..

While everything compete with everything else over our money, APS and FF are two different formats for different users. The idea that FF somehow replace APS, and/or that everybody and their grandmother wants an FF camera if only it was cheap enough, is false.
09-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #78
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The idea that FF somehow replace APS, and/or that everybody and their grandmother wants an FF camera if only it was cheap enough, is false.
I tend to agree. Especially for customers who want only one body. And especially those who want light/compact bodies.
I also tend to disagree. I have no real interest in FF, but if one was offered for cheap enough.. I would have a hard time saying no..
But I doubt I'd find a K-1 for my definition of 'cheap enough'
09-14-2020, 10:25 AM - 4 Likes   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
April of 2014 I bought my K-3 kitted with with a DA 50/1.8 and BG-5 grip. I paid $1295 USD for the kit from Adorama when list was $1300 body-only. I kept the DA 50/1.8 (fun lens) and sold the grip on the forums for about $200 (felt clumsy to my hands) and was a very happy camper.

That was 6 1/2 years ago. $1500 for the K-new six months after launch does not sound too outrageous to me. Anyone who thinks they should be able to pick one up for $1000 must have access to some pretty good weed.

Steve

09-14-2020, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing is, if the K-new is priced too ambitiously it will compete with the K-1. Some will say "for just a little more I can get that K-1 I have been dreaming about." That's good for Ricoh - one more K-1 sold. It is also not so good - fewer sales of K-new to recoup development costs. Or not too bad, cross subsidizing applies between models.
The vibe I am getting from the videos that Ricoh has released is that they consider the K-1 mkII and the K-New to be equivalent bodies, just targeted at different usage scenarios.

Consider this: except for more megapixels and possibly a small advantage in sensor performance, the K-New will likely outstrip the K-1 mkII in all aspects of measurable performance.
09-14-2020, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #81

I think you're right, luftfluss.

They're consciously marketing it as a flagship. With that title needs to follow ambitious performance, and as a consequence ambitious pricing. In a sense, it's a psychological thing. If you price it too cheaply, then people will not take it seriously, and will not look at it as a flagship/premium model.

It sounds odd, but it's true: sometimes when you raise the price of a product, it's easier to sell it than when it's cheap. Psychology plays a big role.

With that said, I'm frankly amazed at how well they're keeping this thing under wraps - especially compared to the competition, who face detailed leaks all the time. Apart from a few selectively chosen details, we know almost nothing about this camera, which makes me suspect that they may have something groundbreaking up their sleeves that they want to hide from their competitors.

I decided long ago that I was going to pre-order/buy the K-new, and after spending a bit of time considering it against the K-1, I've fallen back on my initial decision to buy the K-new. It's just the wait that is getting to me, and making me impatient. I need to relax.
09-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #82
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
may have something groundbreaking up their sleeves that they want to hide from their competitors.
come on hybrid viewfinder

09-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Consider this: except for more megapixels and possibly a small advantage in sensor performance, the K-New will likely outstrip the K-1 mkII in all aspects of measurable performance.
Sort of the like the D500 vs. D850 Nikons.

Steve
09-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the K-New will likely outstrip the K-1 mkII in all aspects of measurable performance.
Except for the feature that we are not supposed to mention that starts with "flip"
09-14-2020, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Except for the feature that we are not supposed to mention that starts with "flip"
Shhhhh... no f-bombs in this thread, please.

09-14-2020, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shhhhh... no f-bombs in this thread, please.
Sorry. It just F slipped out.
09-14-2020, 02:02 PM - 3 Likes   #87
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I can't wait ten years
You don't have to; it will be out in, probably, a month.
I'd imagine a K-1III is probably two years away.
09-14-2020, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't flip out, guys!
09-14-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You don't have to; it will be out in, probably, a month.
I'd imagine a K-1III is probably two years away.
That is my upgrade schedule so suits me. I'm happy for Pentax to come out with a new flagship product every 4 years. As I use both APS-C and FF I'm upgrading one format every two years. Others may like a shorter upgrade cycle than every 4 years if they're shooting with 1 format. That gets a bit expensive for me so in that instance I'd probably skip a cycle and do every 2nd new release for each format. We're getting to the pointy end for the K-new release... can't wait for full details and the unit to be in stores.

I also wonder, when do we hit the point when upgrades are hardly worth doing, or at least, infrequently. I remember the humble PC beginnings and the rate of improvements early on meant that regular upgrades were nearly a necessity. Now when computers are pretty fast already the improvements seem minimal. When something already happens quickly, to make it 25% faster hardly seems worth forking out thousands of dollars.

Last edited by pqberger; 09-14-2020 at 02:49 PM.
09-14-2020, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Despite the obvious overlaps in usage, the APS-C and FF formats each have areas where they shine. So the sensible way to look at this is how would each fit in with one's own needs. Just as with the K-3 and K-3 II, in addition to the K-1 and K-1 II, it is fitting that once again Pentax will have both a flagship APS-C model and a flagship FF model. I suspect the K-new, with its lengthy R&D period, will be such an upgrade as to be a drive towards a K-new FF upgrade.

I have been wondering about the latest backlit sensor technology, reported to reduce noise at higher ISO to even lower levels.

---------- Post added 09-14-20 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I also wonder, when do we hit the point when upgrades are hardly worth doing, or at least, infrequently.
I think we have already hit that point, hence the very long period of time it took to develop the K-new, and the expectations of improvements it might bring. The KP's low light performance is already very fine, and its portability factor along with its ability to change form into a more substantial one when needed, will still have its own appeal to many. And for others, in the type of shooting they normally do, a K-3 or a K-5 IIs will still provide plenty-enough image quality. All of that makes manufacturers work much harder to offer meaningful advantages in a new model.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-14-2020 at 03:39 PM.