Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2020, 04:48 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What else does it need one better at. I didn't say it was better at everything. Those two things are pretty important in terms of image capture in performance situations.
Full frame or APS-c, you be the judge. - PentaxForums.com

Low light performance can be made better, but you always get the most DR at base ISO. You can clean up the noise in a high ISO image, you can't rescue the Dynamic Range. Better high ISO is good making the most of a bad situation, but it remains, a bad situation.
But two isn't many! . I know that those two are very important metrics, but I was curious if you were thinking about something else.

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 04:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just in my own personal use the K1 seems like a more deliberate camera than my others. It's for when I know where I'm going. The K70 and KP are more cruising friendly. Yeah I know that's vague, but it's a reason I'd be attracted to the K-new.
I don't notice a difference in use cases, but I only have one camera, so even if I wanted to bring an APS-C I couldn't . The K-1 is about as fast as the K-7 though, again not really a good comparison.

09-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
I think you're right, luftfluss.

They're consciously marketing it as a flagship. With that title needs to follow ambitious performance, and as a consequence ambitious pricing. In a sense, it's a psychological thing. If you price it too cheaply, then people will not take it seriously, and will not look at it as a flagship/premium model.

It sounds odd, but it's true: sometimes when you raise the price of a product, it's easier to sell it than when it's cheap. Psychology plays a big role.

With that said, I'm frankly amazed at how well they're keeping this thing under wraps - especially compared to the competition, who face detailed leaks all the time. Apart from a few selectively chosen details, we know almost nothing about this camera, which makes me suspect that they may have something groundbreaking up their sleeves that they want to hide from their competitors.

I decided long ago that I was going to pre-order/buy the K-new, and after spending a bit of time considering it against the K-1, I've fallen back on my initial decision to buy the K-new. It's just the wait that is getting to me, and making me impatient. I need to relax.
That can also backfire. Cadillac tried to shift from being the brand of upper middle class old people, to competing with the German luxury brands of BWM, Mercedes and Audi. They made their cars angular, and much more performance-oriented. They won many magazine reviews for performance sports sedans and coupes. And they specifically said that they were the equal of the Germans, so they were pricing their cars like the Germans. They weren't going to be the less-expensive domestic version, they were going toe-to-toe with those brands. The Cadillac ATS was priced about the same as an A4 or a 3-series.

And what happened? The Germans had the reputation and the prestige and are still happily selling M cars and AMGs and S- and RS-models. While Cadillac has retired the ATS and CTS, replaced them with something else, and has mostly shifted to SUVs after not selling sedans and coupes as well as the Germans, even in the US.

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pqberger Quote
I also wonder, when do we hit the point when upgrades are hardly worth doing, or at least, infrequently. I remember the humble PC beginnings and the rate of improvements early on meant that regular upgrades were nearly a necessity. Now when computers are pretty fast already the improvements seem minimal. When something already happens quickly, to make it 25% faster hardly seems worth forking out thousands of dollars.
At least with cameras the requirements for the basic operating system and functionality doesn't creep up over time. Especially if you're locked into Windows (say, at work) the operating system consumes ever more resources, especially with major upgrades like Win10, and the security apparatus many companies require is just as demanding. So just to do things as quickly as you did 10 years ago requires vastly more processing power, memory, etc. My K-30 works just as well and as quickly as it did eight years ago when it was new.
09-15-2020, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
But two isn't many! . I know that those two are very important metrics, but I was curious if you were thinking about something else.
When I'm out in the blind with my K-1 and K-3 I use the K-1 as long as I can, usually about 5 or 10 minutes. Eventually the FPS and buffer clearing have me missing so many shots I switch. So for me, those two are enough to choose the K-3 over the K-1 in some real world situations.The K-1 gets used for the possible advantage in DR, Pixel Shift and high ISO IQ and the tilting back screen in more relaxed situations. SO while for many everyday events a K-1 is preferable, the K-3 still takes half my images.
09-15-2020, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 04:49 AM ----------

I don't notice a difference in use cases, but I only have one camera, so even if I wanted to bring an APS-C I couldn't . The K-1 is about as fast as the K-7 though, again not really a good comparison.
That's a perfect legitimate reason you haven't noticed a difference in use case.

09-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a perfect legitimate reason you haven't noticed a difference in use case.
I meant compared to the K-7, I haven't felt the need or interest to "go back" .
Yeah, if I had a K-3 I might feel compelled to use the larger buffer (although I haven't filled the K-1's buffer more than... I think never, actually, I'm not the intended user for action-oriented cams).
Compared to how I'd use a KP or K-70, I dunno, the K-1 with M20/4 and FA77 is still fairly light... for now . I had considered getting the KP and two-three DA Limiteds, but there wasn't that much weight/size saved. Might as well get a 1" compact or a Ricoh GR instead to have something actually pocketable, there's barely any meaningful difference between the different DSLRs.
09-15-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-new would probably cost the same as K-1 at the launch, maybe a little more. But that not the question. As I understand OP the question is how much I am willing to pay. Hard to answer. I sure would like to own it but I never did pay more then $800 for a camera. The last one which I bought new (K5II) was around $700 (in 2014). I should not pay up to $2000 for any photo gear given the fact that I am just humble amateur.
09-15-2020, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not loaded with any expensive lenses. I am just a beginner. They are full frame but not what anyone would call expensive or top glass. 🙂
You will probably still see an improvement in quality because the 36mp full frame sensor is less demanding than the higher density 24mp sensor. If the new APS-C camera packs in more pixels than that (I suspect it will be 26mp, which is a baby step bigger than 24mp), then your lenses will look even better on full frame.
However, if you like the extra reach that APS-C gives you, or if the new camera has a feature set you can't live without, then that would be something to consider.
What I do know is that when I jumped from the K3 to the K1, the difference in the look of the pictures was a couple of soccer fields better.
My photography, though, favours high resolution and long tonal range. I kept my K3 for the instances when I might want to extend the reach of my longer lenses. I got my K1 in early May 2016, and have used the K3 exactly once since then.

09-15-2020, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

Consider this...

Regarding pricing, Sony are releasing their a7c FF MILC in a really small body with IBIS and s fully articulated screen for $1799.

Should K-new be priced more than this or even at a similar price?

Many Pentaxians would have loved Pentax to make such a small FF body of was talked about in forums for years.
09-15-2020, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #114
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Regarding pricing, Sony are releasing their a7c FF MILC in a really small body with IBIS and s fully articulated screen for $1799.

Many Pentaxians would have loved Pentax to make such a small FF body of was talked about in forums for years.
Sony is still trying to buy the market and is dumping bodies to do it. They also have the sales volumes to allow lower per unit pricing. Something Pentax users are going to have to get used to paying more for what appears sometimes to be less. Even in the present depressed market, Sony can count on selling a hundred or more units for every one that Pentax sells.
The market that Sony is not the same one that Pentax is in.
The market Pentax is in is very similar to the one Leica found itself in from the 1960s to the end of film, selling what can only be called under performing, under featured bodies that were ridiculously expensive and totally out of step with the market.
09-15-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #115
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sony is still trying to buy the market and is dumping bodies to do it.
Wouldn't really matter to me what the a7c sells for.
I'd have to sell all my K-Mount lenses to buy into the E-Mount.
The E-Mount is ridiculously expensive.
Sony has always been known to sell their bodies cheap so that people buy into the system, marry the brand, and then are stuck paying out the butt for their E-Mount glass.
I've seen comparisons and I'm 100% satisfied with my Pentax pictures
It would be pretty hard for Ricoh to push me away as a customer.
09-15-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #116
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Sony has always been known to sell their bodies cheap so that people buy into the system, marry the brand, and then are stuck paying out the butt for their E-Mount glass.
That's sort of the point for people that have been doing this for a while. Eventually it just gets too expensive to switch.
09-15-2020, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Before they announced the K-new and it had been nearly five years since the K-3ii, I did some research into what it would cost to switch to Fuji. If I sold all my Pentax stuff I've accumulated over almost a decade I could buy a single body like the X-T4, and 2-3 lenses, probably not covering my major use cases. Or a bit more if I bought used (Used X-T3, plus a 18-55 and a 100-400 would be about $3k). And it would take a lot of effort to sell a dozen or more pieces all of which would go for between $100-400.

Much easier to just buy a K-new.
09-15-2020, 11:50 AM - 3 Likes   #118

I had originally been planning to buy the K-new, but based on our discussions in this thread, I casually looked up deals on the K-1. I found a shop here who sells Pentax cameras, and even though they only had new K-1's listed on their website (the original K-1 and the K-1 mark 2), I found out after contacting them that they'd just gotten a used K-1 (original version) into their store (in mint condition), and they were willing to sell it to me at a great price. Way cheaper than the K-new is going to be going for (in my best guess). So I pulled the trigger on a K-1. Now I don't feel the need to buy the K-new as the K-1 will be more than plenty for my needs for quite a while. Then, if a new version of the K-1 is released a few years down the line, I can always upgrade to that. Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I am excited to join the full frame adventure!
09-15-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

I had originally been planning to buy the K-new, but based on our discussions in this thread, I casually looked up deals on the K-1. I found a shop here who sells Pentax cameras, and even though they only had new K-1's listed on their website (the original K-1 and the K-1 mark 2), I found out after contacting them that they'd just gotten a used K-1 (original version) into their store (in mint condition), and they were willing to sell it to me at a great price. Way cheaper than the K-new is going to be going for (in my best guess). So I pulled the trigger on a K-1. Now I don't feel the need to buy the K-new as the K-1 will be more than plenty for my needs for quite a while. Then, if a new version of the K-1 is released a few years down the line, I can always upgrade to that. Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I am excited to join the full frame adventure!
Glad you found what you wanted Flubber. I love mine and I'll be surprised if you don't totally enjoy yours.

...but I'd wager you still keep an eye on what the K-new brings. I know I will despite being pretty happy with what I have now.
09-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you found what you wanted Flubber. I love mine and I'll be surprised if you don't totally enjoy yours.

...but I'd wager you still keep an eye on what the K-new brings. I know I will despite being pretty happy with what I have now.
I'm keeping a look on it, even if it is mostly because of the OVF/AF improvements going to the next FF model - a K-1 with a 0.8x, brighter viewfinder and improved AF plus whatever the K-New brings to the table?

I love the K-1 (you'll be amazed, @Flubber!), but improvements that actually make the experience more enjoyable are a good reason to get excited.