Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as I'm able to save up for it for, say, six months, a year or two, without totally losing cred as a responsible husband and father, rest assured I shall acquire a K-new. And I've advocated repeatedly giving them the time to make it as perfect as possible, but then all the wait and teasing is beginning to wear a little on me. And, frankly, all the teeth-gritting about no flippy screen, and lesser AF than D500, or why not just 1D X Mk. III or D6, is too.

Just bring it on, Ricoh. I can deal with it. Actually, got a hunch we'll see an announcement soon (next week even?). And then, please, let's return to photography.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-20-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Language.
09-20-2020, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Let us hope it is. There is enough pent up demand for a modern K-3II that I think the camera will do very well even if it is not the magical upgrade some speculate about. There is plenty of volume just in K-5 and K-3 series owners who have waited years for a new body.

But if they want to price it above $1,800 there has to be something else to drive sales after the initial rush of buyers who have been waiting.
Keep in mind that this is a donor camera for tech that will go into cameras released 1-4 years from now and that will have a shelf life of at least 5 years. Ie its tech must sellable 7 years from now at the least.....
09-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Keep in mind that this is a donor camera for tech that will go into cameras released 1-4 years from now
Yes true.
From a demand standpoint I think K-new launch is very much like K-1 launch. There was a lot of pent up demand for a FF camera. So early adopters bought it simply because it was a "Pentax FF". Actual specs were less important than that it was FF. I think early adopters of K-new will be the same. Features will not be as important as the fact that it is the "APS-C flagship" and has the K-3 feature set. But after the early adopters the value proposition will need to be there to attract other purchasers.

And as you say the tech introduced with this camera sets the future for Pentax. Viewed that way, they have a lot riding on this launch.
09-20-2020, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #154
Dan
Pentaxian

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing the features or specifications of the new camera. My guess is that I will be willing to pay somewhere between $800 and $1600. I'll need to know a lot more about the camera to narrow it down. I'm hoping that they will knock my socks off, and that it will be worth almost as much as a K-1 II.

Dan

09-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Pentax's apsc sensor IQ is already pretty good, and the upgrade path to FF and then the medium format is very good again. So, I'd say it's other features that would be the main draw, unless the new sensor can deliver iso 100 quality at iso 6400, which I think is highly unlikely, at least from the DR standpoint.

Plenty of places for the Knew to be better outside of IQ. How much better will determine how many will upgrade. I think we're talking upgrades mostly, because it's unlikely at this juncture that Pentax will gain tons of new customers with this release.
Quite, but I wasn’t framing the sensor (like that? Purely unintentional) as the “main draw”. My comment about it was in addition to a list of other things, including features.
09-20-2020, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
at least

---------- Post added 09-21-20 at 03:41 AM ----------

Seems like inflation has set in.
ahh.... the thread is about how much are (you) willing to shell out..... so $1,800 is my number and would be a stretch for me unless it does focus like a D500 (I'd only use it on the DFA 150-450) .... though.... maybe $3,200 for a new K1 with more MP, frame rate, deeper buffer..... I expect the next K1 will close the gap pixle density wise with the K3.... so the Knew has to be 30ish mp to have it's place on my 150-450 or I'll wait for the K1new which will have to be mid 40's at least..... I'm not sure if Sony are putting the effort these days into crop sensors that they are with FF.....

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-20-2020 at 05:01 PM.
09-21-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am just curious, as I am not an engineer. I am wondering if brighter viewfinder can help AF work better? I am thinking no. In the end, improvement in user experience is great, but it needs to translate to better images at the end. Sensor performance of Pentax APS-C cameras are pretty good already, and what hampers it often is the AF in my view. So - one of the biggest selling point for a new Pentax camera of any kind with incremental changes is the AF. I may buy it just for that reason alone. With faster and more accurate AF I can certainly be more efficient.
I agree that the answer is no. The AF sensor sits at the bottom of the mirror box. Any additional viewfinder goodness will not be in the picture(!) that the AF sensor sees.

09-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I agree that the answer is no. The AF sensor sits at the bottom of the mirror box. Any additional viewfinder goodness will not be in the picture(!) that the AF sensor sees.
Does the response of the AF sensor depend on the intensity of the light falling on it? On the face of it, I would have thought so, but I’ve never looked into that aspect of DSLR technology, so I’m interested to know. If so, then theoretically, the viewfinder illumination could be maintained at the level of previous bodies and more light directed to the AF sensor. I’m thinking more of low-light AF response here, but we are only considering an increase of 10%, whereas a half-stop improvement would probably be the minimum to make it worth the sacrifice of OVF illumination. Personally, I’d rather the light go to the eyepiece, if there was a choice.
09-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #159
Unregistered User

You kidding? I'm just now feeling like I've begun to figure out how to work the KP!
09-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #160
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a flagship camera-sized hole in my soul and I desperately need it filled.
At this point - the price is inelastic.
:P
09-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Keep in mind that this is a donor camera for tech that will go into cameras released 1-4 years from now and that will have a shelf life of at least 5 years. Ie its tech must sellable 7 years from now at the least.....
Right. I expect to see a new FF and new travel camera KPstyle with some of the K-new tech. Well, traditionally it was also the 645 line, not sure about that. However, there might still be some newly developed things of which not all made it in K-new due to various reasons. A movable screen for example. Or some features that needed more testing. Good ground for K-new II...
09-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to be an early adopter for this camera, not sure why because I never was for previous models. So I expect an early adopter premium. If the price is equal to or greater than a K-1, I will awaken from my dream of early adoption and be practical again. (If you wait a while, the price drops and you don't have to upgrade the firmware too often.) I could handle a high intro price by selling some stuff.
09-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not in the market for a new camera at this time so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I'm thinking it is going to be in the range of $1800 US, give or take $300. It's a hard guess since we still have a lot of questions on other improvements. They released a movie on 7/15 and then another on 7/22, and now a month later and all that has been released was the 9/4 "product story" telling of a fixed screen. I kind of thought we would have seen another revelation by now, are they out of revelations? or just teasing us mercilessly. I really thought there might be another big reveal, we'll see, I expected a big autofocus improvement. Of course I expect in the year after the K-New we will see a K-New II or "KQ", with some additional new tech, and certainly a K-2 FF within 2 years, and of course a replacement for the K-70, maybe it will be the K-02 like so many here want (doubt it, but who knows), just like the lenses they release that were never on the roadmap. But of course all of this will be pushed back by Covid.

Of course this is all speculation, except the "I'm not in the market for a new camera at this time".
09-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I want to be an early adopter for this camera, not sure why because I never was for previous models.
I pre-ordered the K-1. The first camera (or anything) I ever did that for. No regrets, I would do it again. But K-new I think I will wait just a bit as my K-3II is still adequate. Especially as we are going into winter and I don't have any trips planned any more. So I expect to be a buyer in the spring assuming we are allowed to travel again by then. And by that time the price will be known and possibly the first run will be sold and the price might drop a bit.
09-23-2020, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m not really in the market for this camera. If the next FF has the new tech (and perhaps more) I’d probably pay up to $2,500 for that - but it would likely be the last camera I ever buy.