Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Premium price makes product premium by default, and with shrinking market it may be the only chance for survival for Pentax.

I am honestly expecting prices around K-1. Where I live (Poland) it means so where around 2000-2100 USD. With PLM kit 2500-2700$ I think.

And K-1 Mk III if it ever comes out will be around 3000 for a body.

Cameras are already insanely expensive in Poland, K-1 II costs 5x the dominant monthly salary. I am in the market to replace K-50, but if I am right about K-New price, I'll start considering K-1 or switching system to Sony FF as it is far less expensive. I do not like mirrorless so it is last ressort but still an option.

09-30-2020, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Premium price makes product premium by default, and with shrinking market it may be the only chance for survival for Pentax.
You know - I have given a good deal of thought about that line of reasoning. Leica like strategies that requires lots of testicles to pull off but in the end being the only way for survival. If you are going down you might as well go down in blazing flames. You will however require that the camera must come with goods ie cat like AF and astonishing IQ. Should they position this camera to be the most expensive APS-C on the market excluding Leica CL? Would anyone buy this camera if it has the fastest AF, without dispute best IQ, and 12 FPS, for $3,000??
10-01-2020, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You know - I have given a good deal of thought about that line of reasoning. Leica like strategies that requires lots of testicles to pull off but in the end being the only way for survival. If you are going down you might as well go down in blazing flames. You will however require that the camera must come with goods ie cat like AF and astonishing IQ. Should they position this camera to be the most expensive APS-C on the market excluding Leica CL? Would anyone buy this camera if it has the fastest AF, without dispute best IQ, and 12 FPS, for $3,000??
Someone might, but not many. And not me. There's already going to be some explaining to do with the boss on how $1500-2000 is justified.

I think $3k would make the K-new the APS-C equivalent of the Olympus E-M1X. Hard to pay about twice as much for APS-C as you do for really good FF. Kind of negates the fact the lenses are cheaper.
10-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on rest of camera. IQ may be better in FF, but then K-New is supposed to be FF in APS-C format. If Pentax is able to deliver this promise, and follows up with lenses able to make the best out of APS-C I think people will buy it. Not everyone, but then not everyone is buying Leicas after all.

You know, I returned from quick walkaround with Leica Monochrome I need to return soon and I kinda get why there are people willing to burn something close to 9000$ (here in Poland) for a camera. Sure, this one is rather special, but still, price is astronomical.

I think with good camera and the niche brand like Pentax new APS-C can sell for FF price. Everyone has mirrorless Sony, Nikon or Canon. Having Pentax makes* you special, just like having Leica. And if Pentax can make K-New "feel" like Leica, it will sell.

* can make, if Pentax is willing to advertise new camera and brand as such, and judging from videos we saw it is willing.

10-01-2020, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #200
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know why you all need these fancy gadgetry...

All this complaining?? Back in my day, we did everything by hand. The good ol' simple life.
Attached Images

10-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the final specs are that outstanding I’d go $1600 in a heartbeat. My K70 (Back up body to K3II) is having some issues that may get worse. Above that I’d have to think a little harder about it.

I shoulda sprung for the $200+ up charge for the KP when I bought the K70.
10-01-2020, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #202
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
$200+
but now you have $200+ ready to help you buy the K-New.
There, your budget is now $1800!

10-01-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one issue with price, not matter how high or low it will be. Will there be another APS-C camera ever? With FF prices dropping, electronics getting more compact K-New may be last APS-C and next Pentax cameras will be FF only. Investing in APS-C may be a bit risky.
10-01-2020, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #204
Pentaxian

APSC outsells FF 9:1.

There definitely will be more APSC cameras.

Only if users stick to the cheap mantra they will loose out.
10-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one issue with price, not matter how high or low it will be. Will there be another APS-C camera ever? With FF prices dropping, electronics getting more compact K-New may be last APS-C and next Pentax cameras will be FF only. Investing in APS-C may be a bit risky.
Tell me when they're going to come out with a FF lens like the 55-300 that's high quality, fast focusing, weighs one pound and costs $350? In Pentax circles everything that equivalent focal length for FF is much larger and much more expensive. The new Pentax FF 21mm is as big as the 31mm and will almost certainly cost $1000. The DA15 isn't going to match it in corner-to-corner pixel peeping image quality but is smaller and probably half the price or less.

FF is fine, it's good that the bodies are getting smaller and cheaper. But most of the lenses are still much larger and more expensive than APS-C equivalents. If that changes APS-C will probably be on its way out.
10-01-2020, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #206
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

With FF prices dropping, electronics getting more compact
With medium format prices dropping, electronics getting more compact, the K-1II may be last FF and Pentax cameras will be medium format only. Investing in FF may be a bit risky. /s
10-01-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am yet to see any medium format with price that can be called "dropped" :P Perhaps in next generation. But true, I am overthinking it, stupid habit, sorry.
10-01-2020, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is another format that some people, many in fact, prefer. What if MF prices goes down? Will people will stop buying FF cameras?
This theory is old. We have heard it for ten years. You can turn it on its head: Why would anyone buy a FF camera when APS is good enough and improving....
10-14-2020, 03:38 AM   #209
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The mirror lovers can now have their full frame cake and eat it. The Canon 5DS fifty megapixel monster is up for grabs at only $1299. For a limited period, of course. If the trend continues, high-end APS-C cameras will become dinosaurs.

Canon 5DS EOS DSLR Camera (5DS Canon Camera Body) 0581C002 B&H Photo
10-14-2020, 04:49 AM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The mirror lovers can now have their full frame cake and eat it. The Canon 5DS fifty megapixel monster is up for grabs at only $1299. For a limited period, of course. If the trend continues, high-end APS-C cameras will become dinosaurs.

It will no more kill APS cameras than 645 camera killed off pro 35mm slr's.....
A relevant question is: whats going on? It cost $3700. Canon obviously want to get rid of them. It seems that they have to "give" them away in order to do so.....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 10-14-2020 at 05:07 AM.