Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200D restarting image counter often, but keeping date and time?

My image counter is "rolling over" frequently... yesterday I took a few pictures of flowers and noticed they started on IMGP0001 when it asked if I wanted to overwrite the pictures in the recent pictures folder... and today it reset to IMGP0001 again. I don't think that is normal, but it doesn't seem like it's the internal battery because the date and time are fine. In the menu, under "Memory", "File Name" is selected, so it should be saving it.
Back when I had a K20D, that happened sometimes, but not from one day to the next...

Edit: I realize I should have posted this under Troubleshooting. Apologies.

2 Days Ago   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This may be due to inadvertently changing a setting:
Record Mode Menu --> Memory --> File No.
If checked, file numbers are sequential and are remembered. If unchecked, they start over at 0001 when a new folder is created.

Steve
2 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the above doesn't work. Does it do this with a blank sd card?
2 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This may be due to inadvertently changing a setting:
Record Mode Menu --> Memory --> File No.
If checked, file numbers are sequential and are remembered. If unchecked, they start over at 0001 when a new folder is created.

Steve
I'm familiar with the setting, I mentioned it in the original post... it is checked and I have never gone into it to change it. In fact, I know for a fact that I did not get into any menus at all between yesterday and today, two days when the counter re-set itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If the above doesn't work. Does it do this with a blank sd card?
No, it's been the same card in there since I got it...

I do, however, delete the images once I bring them into my computer... it might be that.

2 Days Ago   #5
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm familiar with the setting, I mentioned it in the original post... it is checked and I have never gone into it to change it. In fact, I know for a fact that I did not get into any menus at all between yesterday and today, two days when the counter re-set itself.
Hi ChristianRock,

The reason probably escapes due to a quick or hasty reading even to the most attentive.

I have the Pentax K20D and it is the same thing but it can happen to forget about it. However the cause I don't think it's an anomaly is probably this one.

"When the number of storable images exceeds 500, captured images are divided into folders of 500 images each.

However, in Auto Bracket, images will be stored in the same folder until shooting is completed, even if the number of images exceeds 500."

Or check, page 213 of the manual.

Ciao Mario.
2 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm talking the image counter resetting, not creation of a new folder.
Like resetting and going back to 0001 after 15 pictures.
2 Days Ago   #7
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mah, I was talking about the files,

1) if it is selected ON, it stores the file number of the last saved image and images subsequent receive sequential numbers even if a new folder is created.

2) If it is Off The number of the first image saved in a folder restarts from 0001 each time a new folder is created.

2 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Mah, I was talking about the files,

1) if it is selected ON, it stores the file number of the last saved image and images subsequent receive sequential numbers even if a new folder is created.

2) If it is Off The number of the first image saved in a folder restarts from 0001 each time a new folder is created.
Right, but as I'm only talking 10-15 pictures before reset, it's not switching to a new folder.
Plus, the setting is ON anyways, so it should be storing the last number used...

Now I'm thinking it's electronics starting to fail, because I have been having other issues - the /AF/MF button doesn't work 90% of the time, and the menu setting for catch-in-focus doesn't work either, 90% of the time I turn that feature off, it stays on...

2 Days Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For grins. Fire a few, power down, power up, format the card and try again a few bursts of 10 - 20 shots of nothing much. See if this works as before.
2 Days Ago   #10
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the /AF/MF button doesn't work 90% of the time, and the menu setting for catch-in-focus doesn't work either, 90% of the time I turn that feature off, it stays on...
So, as
QuoteQuote:
UncleVanya
also suggests, if you don't have any reason to do so a complete reset would be the best solution,

a bit like when your computer slows down, backup, reset, and restore) and restart. And then set all the functions you had previously.

Should you explain exactly what doesn't work for you with catch- in-focus not only with MF or AF lenses or both?

Ciao Mario
2 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a pain to do a reset because I then have to go in and re-do all my settings... and honestly I tried that the first time the catch-in-focus wouldn't turn off... and it helped for like a day.

Explaining the problems:
-The catch-in-focus, even if I set it off in the menu, is still on - I know because unless I get the focus confirmation and shoot immediately, pressing the shutter won't work. Which annoys me as sometimes I want to focus on something off-center.
- The K200D has a "MF" light that comes on in the viewfinder. I'll be hitting the AF/MF switch a few times and it won't come on, then after a bunch of attempts it will.
Actually just now as I was typing, I picked up the K200D and the switch was set to AF... but the MF light was on the viewfinder. And sure enough... it's on MF.

I hope I get to use the camera a little longer before it dies... I only bought it over a month ago. At least I only paid 40 dollars shipped...
2 Days Ago   #12
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well you only paid $40 for it, you won't lose much, you can buy another model.

The catch-in-focus issue makes me think that,

1. the AF / MF connector is starting to get a bit fussy.

2. The contacts (pin) are a bit worn in particular those that transmit the information in question, you can only try to clean them with alcohol if they are oxidized,
but of course they are worn that's why the functions come and go.

3. However you can always disable 'forcing autofocus' and use the MF of the lens to use catch-in-focus, i.e. from what I understand using all AF and MF optics in MF to take advantage of catch-in-focus, as long as there is no software or electronic anomaly, but only mechanical.

Ciao M
2 Days Ago   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now I'm thinking it's electronics starting to fail, because I have been having other issues - the /AF/MF button doesn't work 90% of the time, and the menu setting for catch-in-focus doesn't work either, 90% of the time I turn that feature off, it stays on...
I suspect you may be right

Steve
2 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

Just a risk there may be a failing cell in the batteries, allowing sufficient current to operate the camera but a low enough voltage for it to be unreliable.
Any chance of checking the battery voltages or testing the camera with a new or known-good set?
At least clean all the battery contacts, on the batteries and in the camera, before giving up on it.
Good Luck
2 Days Ago   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just a risk there may be a failing cell in the batteries, allowing sufficient current to operate the camera but a low enough voltage for it to be unreliable.
Any chance of checking the battery voltages or testing the camera with a new or known-good set?
At least clean all the battery contacts, on the batteries and in the camera, before giving up on it.
Good Luck
+1

Also, uncheck the setting, leave the menu, reset camera and recheck. Sometimes software can be a bit buggy.