Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Keep in mind that RH hasn't used a K20D or K200D for more than a few minutes in a Camera store.
Also keep in mind that while he says that some number of users report problems with exposure inaccuracy, that number goes down to essentially zero if you exclude the people who don't actually understand exposure (including RH). That is, the people who report exposure problems are the ones who erroneously think that merely pointly at a scene and pressing the shutter should invoke a magic "mind reading" mode where the camera produces exactly the exposure you want for the situation, rather than the exposure that every book on photography will tell you that you should *expect* for the situation.

11-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
He's a "maverick", don't you remember...
Oh yeah, how could I forget!
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I do not, nor have I used Live view ---- don't care -- might try it some day, but right now don't care.
Hear hear!

I would gladly trade live view for shipping with a view screen with focus aids.
11-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Hmmm, this thread was custom made for RH eh? hahaha, Read my blog !! I'll tell you how bad the camera I NEVER OWNED is !!!! weeeeeeeeeee

11-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Why don't DSLR's have a flipout LCD with live view? It is very useful for low level and macro work. I go to my Olympus in such situations.

Dave
11-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #36
Forum Member

Biggest flaw is it's slow AF speed in low light. A Canon 400D/40D shits all over it. Other than that, it's perfect
11-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I cannot understand how people can say that K20D's AF is slow. It's twice as fast as K10D's, a little bit faster than *ist's and works in very dim light (3200 iso, 1/8" at F1.2) without hunting...

Live view is a nonsense for a reflex camera... There are other solutions like an add-on with a small video camera to put on the viewfinder with a detached bigger screen or buy a compact...

11-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Slowish AF in continuous mode apparently v other brands, that is tracking someone running at you (I can't verify this as I don't have access to another DSLR).
Slowish FPS.
I find the dim light focussing easily fast enough (but not tracking something).
11-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Venturi, I stand corrected, OK plus the green button does switch back to auto-ISO. I must have been dreaming :-)
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Also keep in mind that while he says that some number of users report problems with exposure inaccuracy, that number goes down to essentially zero if you exclude the people who don't actually understand exposure (including RH). That is, the people who report exposure problems are the ones who erroneously think that merely pointly at a scene and pressing the shutter should invoke a magic "mind reading" mode where the camera produces exactly the exposure you want for the situation, rather than the exposure that every book on photography will tell you that you should *expect* for the situation.
it's a common complaint that the pentax underexposes.
i might not be an expert at exposure, but i find that it happens to me a lot.
11-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Slowish AF in continuous mode apparently v other brands, that is tracking someone running at you (I can't verify this as I don't have access to another DSLR).
I only tried a Canon 40D very briefly once and have to say that its AF was blindingly fast (it had a wide angle lens on it, though, and never seemed to travel long, just did very quick, short adjustments).

However, I don't think that other brand's AF systems are always better. I've read strange things about a not very useful placement of AF sensors on Canon's FF cameras. Not sure what is true about the Pentax approach being slower but more accurate.

Anyhow, I found this thread about a Canon 40D vs. Pentax K20D comparison very interesting.
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Low light AF is dependent on the skill of the photographer
My K20D has no hot pixels - RH does not own one, get a grip.
Not sure I agree w/ low light AF. I've tried friends Nikons in low light and they do AF faster (but they also kick in their AF LED faster than my K10D kicks in the AF assist when the popup flash is up).

As I understand the hot pixel issue, it depends how long you leave the shutter open and it's fairly random in position and varies from sensor batch. It won't affect most people but it doesn't seem to be a fake RH thing IMHO...

ken
11-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by daleroy Quote
Biggest flaw is it's slow AF speed in low light. A Canon 400D/40D shits all over it. Other than that, it's perfect
Absolute and utter crap.

I've stood beside both cameras during group shooting sessions and heard *both* models you quote hunt around like psychos for focus as much as mine did.

My only annoyance with the camera is that I use Live View, but I also like using Depth of Field preview and they are both linked to the same button.

Other than that. Nothing.
11-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #44
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Sure it does. I just tested to make sure I wasn't imagining it. What version of firmware are you running? v1.01 OK+Green switches ISO to auto in P/Av/Tv modes.
Mine has the same version firmware and I don't have to press the green button and OK together. (Av mode with a Tak 105mm attached right now) Just the green button. I can't see anything in the manual on overriding this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
That would make it a 3D full frame, now wouldn't it?
Now that's funny and the best post in this thread full of BS.
11-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
Absolute and utter crap.

I've stood beside both cameras during group shooting sessions and heard *both* models you quote hunt around like psychos for focus as much as mine did.
I've actually used all three cameras and I can tell you that the 400D and the 40D are quicker at focusing. My sister owns both of them and I have the K20D. When using the Tamron 28-75mm lens on the 40D and the K20D and attempting to lock focus on something inside, the 40D won hands down, every time. Half the time the K20D didn't even lock focus, just kept hunting. My wife and my sister and husband have all played with all the camera's and they all say the same thing, that the K20D is a lot slower to focus indoors. Outdoors there isn't as much in it, but it's still slower. The 40D especially has a very swift solid focusing feel to it. It just locks into position very fast.

Have you used a 40D before? If not, try it before telling my I'm spouting crap.