Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
now that i have gotten all the wonderful inputs on the K10D vs K20D
lets get some flaws, users found with their K20D since

Dave
This is a MAJOR Flaw..Does not come with a 1 year contract to shoot all of the Ad Campaigns for J.Walter Thompson Ad Agency at 50,000 Dollars per day...Bummer. I am leaving Pentax and going back to Canon!!!

12-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I am leaving Pentax and going back to Canon!!!
The things people do for money... ts, ts, ts.

12-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
This is a MAJOR Flaw..Does not come with a 1 year contract to shoot all of the Ad Campaigns for J.Walter Thompson Ad Agency at 50,000 Dollars per day...Bummer. I am leaving Pentax and going back to Canon!!!
I'd settle for a victoria's secrete catalog!
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The viewfinder is worse than the K100D? Really?
The tilt is. I always have to guestimate tilting a few degrees the other way.

At first, with the K100D, I though it was me. However, over time, I determined it was them.

12-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

Live view is a nonsense for a reflex camera... There are other solutions like an add-on with a small video camera to put on the viewfinder with a detached bigger screen or buy a compact...
Yes, let's buy and lug around more stuff, or buy an inferior IQ camera.

It will get better over time. I don't use it and haven't tried but once or twice.
12-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I only tried a Canon 40D very briefly once and have to say that its AF was blindingly fast
Maybe it was the lightbulb you were focusing on? :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-06-2008 at 05:42 PM.
12-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Time to move on. What's so sad about that?

He wants to stay with Pentax because he apparently likes Pentax gear and has used it for 30 years.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-06-2008 at 05:42 PM.
12-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

I think the Menu/Graphics looks dated and without pizazz.
Forget IQ - we need menu pizazz. :-)
12-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #114
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Why don't DSLR's have a flipout LCD with live view? It is very useful for low level and macro work. I go to my Olympus in such situations.

Dave
They do have. Check Sony and Olympus DSLR's
Sony Global - Digital SLR Cameras

Last edited by keith.s; 12-09-2008 at 04:26 AM.
12-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #115

Pentax ergonomics are way ahead of Canon and Nikon, but there is still room for improvement. I would like the option to not only shoot all exposure bracketed shots with one shutter relaase, but also to leave the mirror up between shots for a faster AEB sequence. This is important for hand held HDR. It could also be added with a firmware fix (hint to Pentax). The option for a 7 or 9 shot AEB would also be useful.

I would also love it if Pentax added a 'depth' focusing mode. This something the early Canon EOS had, but seem to have lost in the newer versions. You focus on the furthest point you want in focus, then the nearest point in focus and the camera works out the focus point and appeture. Very, very nice. The current Canon just tries to get all the focus points in focus, which is lame by comparison.

A hyperfocal focusing mode would also be useful, especially with an indication of what the nearest point in focus is.

If we are looking to the future, having a live histogram below the viewfinder read out would be nice, as would a much higher resolution LCD.

(Having written this, I think I will post it as a new thread 'Pentax Wish List')
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #116
Veteran Member

ergonomics are subjective

personaly i find canon XXD series fitting into my hand better than anything else

and i like how on a canon you can change iso, shutter/aperture and ev comp without going into the menu, in the pentax they for some reason decided to only let you do two of these functions
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
ergonomics are subjective

personaly i find canon XXD series fitting into my hand better than anything else
I agree it's subjective. I strongly dislike the ergonomy of the Canon DSLRs. The e-dials are very badly located, IMHO: you have to use your index for the front one (which takes that finger away from the shutter button), and the rear one is nowhere near my thumb.

QuoteQuote:
and i like how on a canon you can change iso, shutter/aperture and ev comp without going into the menu, in the pentax they for some reason decided to only let you do two of these functions
Hmmm, you can do all three on the K10D/K20D. And you don't even have to press a button for ISO in the Av and Tv shooting modes...
12-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote

Hmmm, you can do all three on the K10D/K20D. And you don't even have to press a button for ISO in the Av and Tv shooting modes...
please teach.

currently my rear dial controls aperture, and EV+front dial controls EV comp. the front dial by itself does nothing

and i was digging in my menu forawhile, so unless i missed it..
12-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I agree it's subjective. I strongly dislike the ergonomy of the Canon DSLRs. The e-dials are very badly located, IMHO: you have to use your index for the front one (which takes that finger away from the shutter button), and the rear one is nowhere near my thumb.
that just means i have bigger hands than you do :ugh:
12-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Even on my *ist D I can change all of those without going into the menu, what camera are you using??