Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
External flash for K110D

The search function is so vast, I apologize if this has been asked before!

My daughter's onboard flash went kaputz on her a while back. The camera still works fine in any other non-flash mode.

Am I correct that older model external flashes can't be used? [It's REALLY old, about 20 years+]

What recommendations do you have for an affordable external flash? I don't use flash on my K200 and have NO idea what's available and what works.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

11-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Older flashes can sometimes be used. The key is to make sure the voltage is low enough to not fry the camera. What flash is it?
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's a Braun 260B. After looking on the net, I realize it's 30 years old, not 20!
There is a sliding switch on the back to select the aperture based on distance away from subject. Great little flash still works, but I'm afraid to use it on the DSLR without knowing if it's safe.

How do I determine if the voltage is low enough?
11-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Secrets of Powershot Flash Photography

11-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
I appreciate your help, Jodokast, but that was way over my head!!!
11-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's actually quite simple. Get a voltmeter, attach one lead to the center pin, the other lead to the side contact, and get a reading with the flash powered up. That's it. Anything over 30v you can forget about, 10-30v people will debate about, and under 10v is definitely safe.
11-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
It's actually quite simple. Get a voltmeter, attach one lead to the center pin, the other lead to the side contact, and get a reading with the flash powered up. That's it. Anything over 30v you can forget about, 10-30v people will debate about, and under 10v is definitely safe.
Allow me to add a small modification:

Get a box of donuts and take the flash to a shop/school that has a digital voltmeter. Give them the box of donuts and ask them to measure the voltage for you.
11-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mmmmmmmmmm....................donuts!!!!!!!!!

11-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Mmmmmmmmmm....................donuts!!!!!!!!!
I rest my case.

An often overlooked aspect of human nature is that guys will do for $10 worth of beer or donuts things that they would turn their noses up at if offered $10 in cash.
11-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Much depends on your daughter's technical skills. Several older flashes may be compatible with the K110D, but only few will allow P-TTL ease of use. Manual and automatic flashes would require more hands-on setting.

If all you want to do is to replace the integrated flash, the cheapest P-TTL Pentax option is the AF200FG, which is small and unobtrusive, more powerful than the onboard flash, and goes for about $100 new. The next step up would be the 360FGZ, and even more the 540FGZ. Both are much better, allow bouncing, off camera use etc, and would represent a significant improvement over the onboard.

Then there are Pentax compatible P-TTLs from other brands (Promaster, Sigma), which have good reputations and are cheaper than the Pentax equivalents, but I think still more than the AF200FG.
11-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure my DH has a voltmeter. I'll bet he'll check it for me just 'cause he loves me!

My daughter's technical camera skills aren't past the Auto and P modes of her camera. So, unless we get a basic TTL flash for her, I doubt if there are other options.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!
11-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
I'm pretty sure my DH has a voltmeter. I'll bet he'll check it for me just 'cause he loves me!

My daughter's technical camera skills aren't past the Auto and P modes of her camera. So, unless we get a basic TTL flash for her, I doubt if there are other options.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!
If she has minimal photo skills and doesn't want to learn, I think a basic P-TTL is definitely the way to go, and if she just wants a smallish flash to replace the minimal functions of her onboard one, and even upgrade them a bit, then the AF 200 Fg would seem to fit the bill best.

I suspect there's going to be a flood of AF200's on ebay as soon as people start getting their K2000 kits and realizing they want a better flash, but that may take several weeks/months. Just keep your eyes open.

Good luck!
11-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Then don't let him see this thread; he'll feel cheated out of a donut.
11-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Old thyristor flash can still be used in auto mode. I have two old flashes (not even Pentax compatible) and they work just fine in auto mode. They were $20 each so saving $200+ was worth reading flash manual to make sure I know how to turn the auto mode on.