Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 07:30 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Hello...

I'm hunting for a Pentax body I can use with adapters... My main body is a K-50, so it is not like I have top of the line right now.

The body I seek will become my M42 body and such... Brief list I've seen

K-x
*ist D family - any good there?
K100D

Any thoughts?
Consider a K10d. It's a 10mp CCD chip but it produces great images. I bought one for $80 with the battery grip. Take a look at the K10d Club thread in this forum section.

09-27-2020, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

A K-5 IIs would be an excellent choice. Has a 100% VF, sharp fine detailed photos from having no AA filter, and a great set of controls. Being a flagship model, a very durable build.

If you wish to go older, the K20D was another flagship model with a fine set of controls, and fine IQ.from its 14.7mp sensor with very rich colors.

---------- Post added 09-27-20 at 03:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Oh Ed, just lash out and get a KP (or K-70) and use the K-50 as the second body. You are such a terrific photographer you are one of those people who would really benefit from the upgrade.
Best advice yet! Just get a KP- the price right now is very reasonable for a camera of this class. You'll be very glad you did, and it will show in your results, as well as having an upgraded body in every way! And not subject to aperture failure problem. You'll be enjoying it for many years.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-27-2020 at 03:11 PM.
09-28-2020, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Oh Ed, just lash out and get a KP (or K-70) and use the K-50 as the second body. You are such a terrific photographer you are one of those people who would really benefit from the upgrade.
Much humbled by your kind words Des... Right now I'd love to have a K-3 (original one not the ii), or the KP... Budget does not allow me to indulge in these as of yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Best advice yet! Just get a KP- the price r

I'll make that jump (or who knows, with the new flagship model coming out), once I am also able to go into the limited series lenses. For now, I must still enjoy learning from using older technology (it is a nice way to blame the gear rather than the talent LOL).

Last edited by edom31; 09-28-2020 at 11:28 AM.
09-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not get: K100d, *istDL, K200D, K-x or K-r. The viewfinder is a pentamirror, smaller and darker than a pentaprisn. Since you will be manually focusing.
K10D is a great suggestion on a budget. You could also put an ad in the "Wanted " section of the Marketplace for a K50/K30 with a broken aperture block (irrelevant when you are using an adapter) and I bet you that you can find one for less than 100 dollars.

09-29-2020, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I would not get: K100d, *istDL, K200D, K-x or K-r. The viewfinder is a pentamirror, smaller and darker than a pentaprisn. Since you will be manually focusing.
My choice, I'd get a K10D like you state, or a K-S1 like others have said... But I need a non-WR body. I think I will go with the K-X because of the price. this is a project-based buy; not really a fully-on performance buy.

Thanks to all who chipped in. It is good to hear from this great forums when one is in need of advice.

Edit - the K-S1 is a non-WR body... but it is out of my reach...

Last edited by edom31; 09-29-2020 at 07:19 PM.
09-29-2020, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Kx had two issues- mirror/shutter release vibration at some shutter speeds, maybe worse with certain lenses, and insufficient feedback for AF in the VF. I passed on this model and bought the subsequent K-r, which was improved. My need was for a secondary body to my flagship model for times when light, smaller carrying is important, yet also a well-performing alternate. It is quite good for low light use as well, and filled the bill nicely for a number of years, until I got a deal on the outgoing K-S2 which is more advanced in many ways (VF, 2-dial operation, articulating rear screen, higher res, WR, and more) but still small and light. I gave the K-r to friends, and it still works just fine. But why do you "need" a non-WR body?
09-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Kx had two issues- mirror/shutter release vibration at some shutter speeds, maybe worse with certain lenses, and insufficient feedback for AF in the VF. I passed on this model and bought the subsequent K-r, which was improved. My need was for a secondary body to my flagship model for times when light, smaller carrying is important, yet also a well-performing alternate. It is quite good for low light use as well, and filled the bill nicely for a number of years, until I got a deal on the outgoing K-S2 which is more advanced in many ways (VF, 2-dial operation, articulating rear screen, higher res, WR, and more) but still small and light. I gave the K-r to friends, and it still works just fine. But why do you "need" a non-WR body?
Thanks for this tip...

Non-WR - for an adaptist project. Simple as that. The adaptist I was able to get was a non-WR one (I understand its limitations), and being the collector of old glass that I am, why not give it a try...
09-29-2020, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Maybe put an ad in the Wanted section for a K-S1 with a broken aperture block?

09-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I would not get: K100d, *istDL, K200D, K-x or K-r. The viewfinder is a pentamirror, smaller and darker than a pentaprisn.
I'm sure you're (technically) correct in real life, on a sunny day, I don't notice the difference between my *ist DS (penta-prism) and my *ist DL2 (penta-mirror)
09-30-2020, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'm sure you're (technically) correct … in real life, on a sunny day, I don't notice the difference between my *ist DS (penta-prism) and my *ist DL2 (penta-mirror)
Well I have a K200D and had a K-r in the past... they're definitely useable... just not quite as good as the cameras with the pentaprism. I keep the K200D because I think the sensor has something to it that gives it a bit of extra clarity compared to the K10D. I love the files it produces. So the K-m/K2000 could be an option as well, it shares that sensor (it does have a Pentamirror though, like the K200D).

But let me tell you when I really see a difference between pentamirrors and pentaprisms... when I put the Pentax O-ME53 (magnification piece) on the K200D, it gets noticeably darker, to the point that it is not really easy to focus manually. So the O-ME53 only goes on the K10D these days...
09-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

But let me tell you when I really see a difference between pentamirrors and pentaprisms... when I put the Pentax O-ME53 (magnification piece) on the K200D, it gets noticeably darker, to the point that it is not really easy to focus manually. So the O-ME53 only goes on the K10D these days...
Hadn't tried that as a direct comparison. You're correct!
My O-ME53 is usually on my *ist DS, which is my "default" M42 body.
My *ist DL2 is mostly used for infra-red 'cos it's got a slight bigger LCD and digital preview, which helps when you can't see through the viewfinder anyway