Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2020, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looking for old Pentax body

Hello...

I'm hunting for a Pentax body I can use with adapters... My main body is a K-50, so it is not like I have top of the line right now.

The body I seek will become my M42 body and such... Brief list I've seen

K-x
*ist D family - any good there?
K100D

Any thoughts?

09-25-2020, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

any of them that fit yer budget really.....maybe an aperture blocked K-something could be had a bit cheaper......the K-5ii is a big recommend on older bodies or so it seems
09-25-2020, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
The body I seek will become my M42 body and such... Brief list I've seen

K-x
*ist D family - any good there?
K100D

Any thoughts?
I own the *.istD uses AA Ni-Mh stylus was the first Pentax in digital age, also the K has about the same resolution characteristics 6.1 Mpx.

I would suggest you the Kx, it has a resolution of 12.3 Mpx
- Self-Timer
- Remote control shooting
- Bulb shooting
- HDR Capture
- Also you can record HD video (1280x720p) and other features you can find in the manual.

Add Review: Pentax K-x

Probably you can find it at an advantageous price and also you can use through the M42 -> PK connection all the optics not only Pentax. But you can also look beyond

Ciao Mario

Last edited by maw; 09-25-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: add review
09-25-2020, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for an aperture blocked K-30. They're cheap and have sensors that compare well with the K-5/k-5ii. Plus, they take lithium-ion rechargeables. (It can take AA batteries as well, with the correct adapter).

It's no fun having to pay for the AA lithium batteries needed to get a full day out of a K100D or K-x. I've had both of these cameras and ended up using eneloop rechargeable AA's. But, I'd always end up running out of juice after a few hours of use.

But, honestly, the solution I'd suggest would be to buy a handful of Chinese m42 to K Mount adaptors and a tube of rubber cement. Once you remove the latch pin on the knock-off adapters, and put a drop of rubber cement on the threads of the lens, you essentially have an all manual k Mount lens without aperture stop down. You can still spin The m42 lenses out of their adapters with a little muscle if ever you want to use them on non Pentax K bodies as well. Saves you a few hundred bucks and lets you carry one body.

Just my 2¢

09-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
t's no fun having to pay for the AA lithium batteries needed to get a full day out of a K100D or K-x.
Ahh did not realized the K-x was AA batteries... Might look at the K-r then

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
an aperture blocked K-something could be had a bit cheaper.
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Look for an aperture blocked K-30.
I have a home-repaired K-50 - suffered the AB 2 years ago. I filed the horseshoe and its good thus far.

But - the thing is I'm looking for a non WR body, hence not considering these.
09-25-2020, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two dedicated m42 bodies - an *ist D and a K10D. (I like CCD sensors) They are hardly cutting edge, but have the advantage of larger pentaprism viewfinders and provide lovely rendering with my Takumars. Nothing wrong with the K-x or K100D, but they only offer a smaller & dimmer pentamirror VF. I like the idea of finding a nice K-50 or similar suffering from aperture block syndrome, and giving it new life as an m42 platform.

FYI, why not drop by the Six Megapixel Club to see what these old relics are capable of.
09-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
an *ist D and a K10D. (I like CCD sensors) They are hardly cutting edge, but have the advantage of larger pentaprism viewfinders and provide lovely rendering with my Takumars. Nothing wrong with the K-x or K100D, but they only offer a smaller & dimmer pentamirror VF.
Thanks for these details. all this helps. I did look once into CCD Sensor but never have shot w such camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
, why not drop by the Six Megapixel Club to see what these old relics are capable
Quite a nice sample! I do have and shot an old 6.3 MP camera - Canon D60. It does great shots indeed.

09-25-2020, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S1.... what a sensor...
09-26-2020, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Like others, I have a "dedicated" M42 camera, my *ist DS , currently fitted with an original Meyer Optik 30mm Lydith.
The AA batteries aren't a problem, I use eneloops, they last for months in the camera, a year or more as "spares" in the bag. I check them two or three times a year and re-charge as necessary
09-26-2020, 04:37 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the 16mp sensor is really the sweet spot, but only used in one non-WR body -- the K-500...

they seemed rare on the ground in this country....

the K-01 also used the same sensor, but I discounted it for lack of a true viewfinder, plus I kept reading problems with buttons falling off, etc.....
09-26-2020, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the 16mp sensor is really the sweet spot
That's the K-50 one as well (albeit a WR body).

Me getting a K-S1 would feel like getting an upgrade to my current main body (the K-50), only to "downgrade it" for use with adapters rather than the true Pentax Glass.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
09-26-2020, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd stay away from the original *istD because it uses CF cards and not SD. I'd also look for a body with a "real" pentaprism viewfinder and not pentamirror (I guess that doesn't match with your desire for a non WR body?). Two control dials and at least 10 MP. I'd be very tempted to choose a K10D for the CCD sensor.
09-26-2020, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd get a K-30: great sensor, pentaprism, two control dials, shares batteries with your K-50, SR, pretty awesome camera. Because it looks different, you won't accidentally pick up the wrong camera, but because it acts just about the same, your controls will be familiar.

I bought one and repaired it for higher risk situations but it seems too nice to risk. Look for my marketplace ad if I get off my butt to sell it.
09-26-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #14

If you don't care about features found in modern DSLR:s such as video, great performance at high ISO:s, etc then you might want to consider an Ist * D series over K100D one in case you want to use an battery grip. Unlike K100D series cameras, there is official battery grips for ist' D ones. Although I don't think there is an single Pentax DSLR that wouldn't work in your situation.
09-26-2020, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh Ed, just lash out and get a KP (or K-70) and use the K-50 as the second body. You are such a terrific photographer you are one of those people who would really benefit from the upgrade.